Retrospective Batman Returns Appreciation

Started by thecolorsblend, Wed, 1 Jul 2020, 22:56

Previous topic - Next topic
This is a trend I think we should expect to see more of. Whether Keaton ultimately comes back or not, history has had a chance to speak on the Burton movies in general and BR in particular. In retrospect, people mostly dig it BECAUSE of how weird and off-beat it is. If it was more corporate and focus-grouped, it wouldn't be experiencing the affection that's going on right now. At least, I don't think so.

Batman Returns is one of those movies that is a perfect example of not only the time in which it was made, but also how major studios approached these types of films. A time, I seem to have a increased yearning for as the years go on. With BR, there wasn't a set "formula" in making follow ups. No real "formula" to pattern itself after. No multi-picture contracts to speak of. Which, as a consequence, brought out more creativity and risk when approaching the material. As every property, was essentially an island unto itself.

This sort of approach may not have been ideal for the studios involved with financing these films, but ultimately, I think the lack of creative restriction resulted in giving us truly unique films, where a director's vision can shine brightly, that we honestly might not have had otherwise under different circumstances.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."