Superman: The Movie 3 hr Cut To Be Released

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Tue, 26 Sep 2017, 20:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Warner Bros.  has announced that they are planning to release the 3 hour cut of Superman: The Movie.  Here is the details.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/superman/52033/superman-the-movie-three-hour-cut-getting-a-release

The theatrical cut will always be my go-to version of STM.

But the three hour version... yes, I will buy this. And I will consume popcorn while I watch it.

The die is cast and this is my destiny.

I remember watching the three hour cut at my cousin's house. It had a fair bit of material that should've remained in the theatrical cut i.e. Superman saving Miss Teschmacher before taking Lex and Otis to jail, but other scenes I felt weren't that important.

The deleted scene with Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill speaking to young Lois after she witnesses Clark running fast in Smallville was something that was better left behind on the cutting room, in my opinion. A nice attempt at cameos, but as I said, it's not important. Besides, how old was Lois supposed to be? The girl looked like she must've been nine or ten years old. Clark was eighteen in that scene, as it was established by Jor-El before he would program him at the Fortress of Solitude for the next twelve years. So that would mean when Clark begins working at the Daily Planet at the age of thirty, Lois must've been close to twenty one. That's a stretch to me because Margot Kidder didn't pass as a somebody in their early twenties in this movie. And she certainly looked much older when you compare her physical differences between the Lester and Donner footage in Superman II.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I will probably get this. I've never seen the television cut in its entirety. What I have seen of it plays like an assembly cut. I could drive to the next town and back during Krypton's destruction and not miss a thing.

Sure, it's a must have. Absolutely.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I saw this sentence from somebody reviewing the three hour cut of S78:

One of the best things about the Extended Cut is we get longer edits of Superman flying, particularly on his first night. You get an even greater sense of just how much he's enjoying himself.

https://13thdimension.com/13-quick-thoughts-on-superman-the-extended-cut/

To me, this only reminds me how it's unbelievable that he gave up his powers in SII.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Is this ever getting released on iTunes? Because I'm not buying a Blu-Ray version. That's not happening. So it'd sure be lovely if this would come out on iTunes or something.

So it finally came out on iTunes so I watched it last night.

Very impressive. There are some poorly timed music cues, though not as many as you might think. I would've thought that inflating the run time would've bloated the movie and watered everything down. But it didn't. Not really.

The additional flying shots were a bit disappointing. It seems like Donner's preference was to use the very best flying shots in the theatrical cut. So there aren't any real golden nuggets there. The "new" flying shots are kind of rough and inelegant.

The audio was clearly mixed and designed to be watched on TV with mono sound. And there are instances where that's pretty apparent. But I found it charming, myself.

All in all, I highly recommend this extra-long cut. It's a lot better than I ever would've guessed.