Joss Whedon to have a larger role in the DCEU

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 26 Jul 2017, 20:24

Previous topic - Next topic
http://theplaylist.net/joss-whedon-will-major-part-dc-films-future-creative-team-zack-snyder-20170726/

Joss Whedon will apparently have a bigger role in the DCEU and Zack Snyder's role is to be diminished.

So, will all you diehard supporters of the DCEU continue to support the franchise now that it looks like Whedon will be the major player in shaping its direction?

I know we're apparently not allowed to bring politics into this site (as relevant as it is to absolutely everything...) but as you know I'm a liberal, and even I can't stand a lot of the hateful and intolerant bilge that comes out of Whedon's mouth/ends up on his Twitter account, so I wonder how the rest of you feel about this seeing as many of the diehard DCEU fans here are, I think it's safe to say, somewhat less liberal in their politics than me...

I also wonder whether he will be working with Nicole Kidman, who is currently filming a role as Aquaman's mother in the franchise, seeing as he likened her to a Thunderbirds puppet earlier this year on Twitter.  Talk about awkward.

Still, at least this probably means he won't be a part of the MCU any longer, which is arguably a good thing (even if his Avengers is one of the best comic-book movies of all time).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

There were reports that both Zack and Deborah Snyder's control of the DCEU was diminishing according to 'unnamed sources', but WB President Toby Emmerich said this (which was also included in the clickbait headlines claiming this rumour was fact  ::)):

The Snyders remain an important part of the Warner Bros. family and are actively involved in several upcoming DC pictures, including their continued creative input on Justice League. We are excited about our partnership and look forward to our continued collaboration.
Source: https://moviepilot.com/p/zach-snyder-still-involved-dceu/4332428

Of course, this didn't stop disgraced comic book writer Gerry Conway from making yet another series of classless tweets about Snyder.

"Zack Snyder's Influence on DC Films Will Be Significantly Smaller Moving Forward" Thank the Amazonian gods
https://twitter.com/gerryconway/status/890293626210705408

My guess is he would have been sidelined regardless. His daughter's death is tragic but not part of WB's decision.
https://twitter.com/gerryconway/status/890294989191733248

Never mind he comes across as a heartless bastard over the fact that Snyder stepped down because of a family tragedy, or his refusal to acknowledge his contributions to Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman - Conway apparently has an uncredited writing role for Killer Croc and Slipknot's roles in SUICIDE SQUAD!
Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0176689/?ref_=nv_sr_1

HA. Take a good look at yourself, Conway. Stop being a pathetic asshole. Thankfully, there are lots of people are denouncing him on his Twitter feed.

But then again, what do you expect from somebody who proudly calls himself a "passionate libtard"?*

*NOTE: I'm not conservative, I just don't like far left supporters. They're just as a crazy as the far right.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Should we not already be figuring out to take DCEU rumours with a grain of salt until they are confirmed by a reputable source?

For the most part Marvel seems to cycling new people throughout, Kevin Feige might be the only constant although the Russo brothers seem to be heavily involved at this point. James Gunn, Jon Favreau, and Whedon are the only other ones to direct multiple MCU films. I like it, it makes the films stand out uniquely and avoids redundancy. I'm greatful for what Whedon gave us, especially the first Avengers movie but if his time is up with the MCU, life will move on.

I think it's premature to speculate on Snyder's future within the DCEU. What his family is going through may be something that they can overcome within a few months or it may well quash his artistic drive and vision permanently much the way the death of Rick Moranis' wife drove him into early retirement. I don't know too much about Snyder but I do know a fair amount about the situation he is an and what I can pretty much guarantee is that Zak Snyder is likely assessing his own mental health with much higher scrutiny today than he was a year ago. What he wants in his own future now is likely very different than what he wanted before this happened to his daughter. It's quite possible that he may not want to deal with superheroes who've experienced personal tragedy any more.

As far as the DCEU goes, they're in a tough spot. They have to show class given the situation but it's also important to note that given what is at stake with the DCEU, it's hard to justify putting the brakes on for one family. I can't imagine that DC would know by now they are moving on from Snyder even without the tragedy. They misjudged both box office performance and fan perception for the first three films here before getting it right with Wonder Woman, they themselves can't truly know yet how this film will do. The last thing they would want to do is can Snyder and then have his film finally break the 1 billion dollar box office intake they were hoping for.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 27 Jul  2017, 12:47Of course, this didn't stop disgraced comic book writer Gerry Conway from making yet another series of classless tweets about Snyder.
I'm not disputing your statement, far less disagreeing with you, but out of interest, why is Gerry Conway 'disgraced'?  I may have missed the news and I'm curious to know.

QuoteNever mind he comes across as a heartless bastard over the fact that Snyder stepped down because of a family tragedy, or his refusal to acknowledge his contributions to Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman - Conway apparently has an uncredited writing role for Killer Croc and Slipknot's roles in SUICIDE SQUAD!

HA. Take a good look at yourself, Conway. Stop being a pathetic asshole. Thankfully, there are lots of people are denouncing him on his Twitter feed.

But then again, what do you expect from somebody who proudly calls himself a "passionate libtard"?*

*NOTE: I'm not conservative, I just don't like far left supporters. They're just as a crazy as the far right.
I agree that Conaway comes across as a jerk for his insensitive comments concerning Snyder's family tragedy.  I also think anyone who calls themselves a 'libtard' is to be avoided, and I say that as someone who is a liberal, maybe even what some of you guys consider 'far left'.  But why someone would be proud to call themselves a 'libtard' is beyond me.  I don't think it's a term that any honest liberal should be trying to 'reclaim' not least because it implicitly insults people who suffer from medical retardation.

2 things - I'm not easy with political talk starting to creep in here.

And keep insults about Gerry Conway restrained please.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 27 Jul  2017, 23:37
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 27 Jul  2017, 12:47Of course, this didn't stop disgraced comic book writer Gerry Conway from making yet another series of classless tweets about Snyder.
I'm not disputing your statement, far less disagreeing with you, but out of interest, why is Gerry Conway 'disgraced'?  I may have missed the news and I'm curious to know.

QuoteNever mind he comes across as a heartless bastard over the fact that Snyder stepped down because of a family tragedy, or his refusal to acknowledge his contributions to Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman - Conway apparently has an uncredited writing role for Killer Croc and Slipknot's roles in SUICIDE SQUAD!

I agree that Conaway comes across as a jerk for his insensitive comments concerning Snyder's family tragedy.  I also think anyone who calls themselves a 'libtard' is to be avoided, and I say that as someone who is a liberal, maybe even what some of you guys consider 'far left'.  But why someone would be proud to call themselves a 'libtard' is beyond me.  I don't think it's a term that any honest liberal should be trying to 'reclaim' not least because it implicitly insults people who suffer from medical retardation.

Respecting Paul's wishes not to turn this into a political debate, I'll try and address this from a neutral standpoint. I have never seen the term "libtard" used in a non-derogatory sense because that was the intent of the word; to insult liberals and so I can't figure out why anyone would use it to describe themselves unless they had a hidden agenda (ie closet liberal hater pretending to be a liberal). It would be the equivalent of a Christopher Nolan fan referring to themselves by one of the derogatory terms used to describe them such as Nolanite, Nolantard etc.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri, 28 Jul  2017, 12:53
2 things - I'm not easy with political talk starting to creep in here.

I'm sorry Paul.  I know you don't like it, but with all due respect it's sometimes hard to avoid.  Joss Whedon appears to be taking over the DCEU, and he has also made some very inflammatory political comments on Twitter.  For what it's worth, my argument isn't about Whedon's politics (which, by the by, I mostly happen to share), but the provocative way he expresses himself, and I suspect The Laughing Fish and I are more or less in agreement on that particular point.

Also, if Gerry Conway has referred to himself as a 'libtard', who is doing the insulting really?

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Fri, 28 Jul  2017, 12:53

I'll stop insulting Gerry Conway when he grows a conscience. Considering under the circumstances why Snyder left production for JL, you'd think somebody like Conway would be respectful and cut down on his vitriol. We all have passionate opinions on a lot of things, and art being one of them, but hating on somebody's work doesn't give me, you or anyone else a right to be cruel following a tragedy. It's despicable and immoral discourse, and a supposed artist like Conway should know better than to engage in such behaviour. None of us should.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Gerry Conway has had precisely three good ideas in his career. And I'd argue over one of those but there's a prohibition on politics (although some are more equal than others, it seems).

Point is that Conway celebrating Snyder's supposed departure (especially considering the circumstances under which it's allegedly happening) is really beneath contempt.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 29 Jul  2017, 00:26
Gerry Conway has had precisely three good ideas in his career. And I'd argue over one of those but there's a prohibition on politics (although some are more equal than others, it seems).

Point is that Conway celebrating Snyder's supposed departure (especially considering the circumstances under which it's allegedly happening) is really beneath contempt.
We don't need to get into a person's politics to agree that someone is being a jerk (in this case I think Whedon has been a jerk, and I'll take yours and TLF's word that this also applies to Gerry Conway, although I confess I don't really know that much about him).  Forget left and right/liberal and conservative politics for a moment.  Hopefully we can all agree that wherever we stand politically there is a reasonable way and a wrong way to express ourselves.