The RoboCop Thread

Started by The Joker, Thu, 24 Feb 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Not bad. The ambience of the world seems somewhat lifeless, but the gameplay itself captures what Robocop is about. If we had law enforcement programmed to enforce the law equally, without bias, the protected class would be clogging the jails or dead on the pavement. Instead, the guilty are protected, the truth hidden to protect the narrative and the innocent harassed. Those that create urban hellholes like modern day Detroits, Baltimores and the like keep pushing the same policies that created the mess while subsequently getting softer on real solutions. Robocop is needed more than ever.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 18 Sep  2012, 23:35The only Robocop movie I have any interest in is the first one. And even then I'm not a devout follower.
How things change. The new game brought renewed interest in the Robocop universe and after revisiting it for the first time in a long time, the sequel is definitely underrated. There's some good ideas and action to be found.

I picked up Rogue City and it's fantastic - following on directly from Robocop 2 and even segueing in to Robocop 3, even if that movie remains atrocious. I'm willing to ignore 3 anyway, or imagine the events play out differently and with Weller still in the role. I still have a bit to go, but at this point Rogue City is the best thing to happen to the franchise since the original two films, and I'd be happy to consider it canon. They captured the vibe.

Something I like about Robo is the black and white upholding of the law no matter who he's dealing with. If they've done the wrong thing even if they're a politician or high powered CEO, "you're under arrest." He doesn't care about secret deals and favors. I once said I'm not a devout follower of the character, but my appreciation has grown. It's quite a fascinating world to get into in terms of hard violence and social commentary. I also like how he's a tank in combat but nonetheless at serious risk throughout, eg. being torn apart in Robo 2 and freezing due to traumatic memories.

I haven't played Rogue City yet, but I've watched some clips on YouTube and it looks like a blast. What I've seen reminds me of the 2009 Ghostbusters game, insofar as both bring back the original star(s) and feel like true sequels to the first two films. With RoboCop Returns wallowing in development hell, Rogue City might be the closest we get to a proper third Weller RoboCop movie.

I've renamed this thread and merged it with two other RoboCop-themed topics. From now on this can be the general all-purpose RoboCop discussion. Any talk about the movies, TV shows, comics or games can go here.

Checked out "Robodoc The Creation of Robocop" documentary last weekend, and it's by far the most in-depth documentary about the making of the film. As it clocks in at about 240 minutes. Thankfully, due to the doc being in 4 parts, it's more easy to digest rather than it being just one long exhibit of an extensive documentary.

Robodoc is a nice companion piece for the previous "Flesh and Steel" Robocop documentary (which was glaringly missing from the latest disc release of Robocop in 2020), and I would recommend checking it out. Following Robodoc, I think info on Robo1 for documentaries have been absolutely exhausted. A documentary on "Robocop 2" would now be the obvious route to take.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."