Happy 64th Birthday Danny Elfman

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Mon, 29 May 2017, 21:54

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 29 May 2017, 21:54 Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 00:50 by THE BAT-MAN
Just wanted to make a shout out and wish my favorite composer, Danny Elfman a Happy 64th Birthday.  He is in my opinion a true musical genius and still remains a great inspiration to me and many fans alike.  Danny you are simply the best.

Batman is my favorite movie score, Happy Birthday Danny!

In honour of Elfman's birthday, how about we list our most favourite tracks for both Batman films?

My favourite on B89: Descent into Mystery. Such a memorable, swashbuckling theme.

My favourite on BR: Selina Transforms. Totally conveys tragedy and a complete loss of innocence.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It's so tough to choose from these soundtracks because everything has something to offer. But if I was on a desert island and only had to choose about five from each, it would probably look something like this:

Batman89:

Shootout
Batman to the Rescue/Batmobile Charge/Street Fight
Descent into Mystery
Batwing II/Batwing III
Cathedral Chase

Batman Returns:

Birth of a Penguin/Main Title
Kitty Party/Selina Transforms
The Cemetery
Roof Top Encounters
Umbrella Source/The Children's Hour/War

Danny did such a remarkable job on the films and his contribution can't ever be undervalued. It makes you wonder what Batman's musical DNA would be if Danny didn't get the job back in the late 80s. He really knocked it out of the park, and even though I have a lot of time for other Batman scores, Danny is always the one I come back to.

For many years the mere mention of Elfman's name evoked a particular style and sound, the word Elfmanesque is sometimes used to describe/review music. He's the creator of the dark superhero sound - as far as I know, the choice to musically represent a hero with dark and minor music was firstly done by Elfman. Not to mention that until 1989 Batman was associated with Neal Hefti's comical theme from the 60s series.

1989 was my first soundtrack, it's the reason I am into film scores and yes, it's hard to pick favourites.

Descent into Mystery
Charge of the Batmobile
Attack of the Batwing
Up the Cathedral
Waltz To The Death

Birth of A Penguin
Selina Transforms
Night Patrol/ Cemetery
The entire climax, everything from the The Children's Hour up to the final iteration of Selina's theme in the end credits