Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 2 Oct 2018, 19:49

Previous topic - Next topic
It doesn't look like this will affect the core of Spider-Man's story in his own movie series.

It does, however, suggest that the basic foundation of Tony Stark as Peter's mentor was maybe not such a great idea since it might not be permissible to mention that character now.

Sony has made a statement:

In a rare public rebuke to Disney, Sony announced Tuesday night that it was "disappointed" over the decision, highlighting Disney's refusal to allow Marvel President Kevin Feige to continue as a producer on the projects. It also praised Feige, who teamed with Amy Pascal on "Spider-Man: Far From Home," which became Sony's most successful release earlier this week in terms of global box office.

"Much of today's news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige's involvement in the franchise," Sony said in a statement. "We are disappointed, but respect Disney's decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film."

"We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own," the statement continued. "Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/spider-man-sony-disney-marvel-responds-1203308802/amp/?fbclid=IwAR0rZXDafFqysHi-op_rK8uGHGFqGHgo2aUDfX8jIO4J-VXYenWmyg-nE6s

In addition to greedy Disney wanting to change the current deal for their own benefit, it appears they are responsible for Spider-Man's sudden departure from the MCU. Sony appeared to be happy with continuing the arrangement, but not unless if it were to compromise their own profits.

But try telling that to idiotic MCU fanboys online today. They're painting Sony as the bad guys here. Here are a couple of screenshots from this shill.

As somebody who has been burnt out by the MCU and got sick of Holland's Spider-Man very quickly, I couldn't care less about the news. But I have to admit, I'm getting schadenfreude over people freaking out. They're acting as if Holland has left the role. His contract says he still has another two movies, just no more MCU connections. Quite frankly, that's probably a good thing. Let the character stand up in his own movie again, and leave the MCU tie-in contrivances - as well as those stupid pop culture references - at the door.

With that all said, what are the chances that this is a cynical ploy by Disney by riling up the fans to start a backlash against Sony, in an effort to intimidate the company into agreeing to the new terms? It sounds outlandish, but anything is possible in Hollywood.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I don't even understand wtf this idiot is even trying to say.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 21 Aug  2019, 19:32
I don't even understand wtf this idiot is even trying to say.

From what I can tell, this putz is an MCU equivalent to BOF. Yuck.

Marvel/Disney did their best to ignore the elephant in the room at the annual D23 convention over the weekend. They announced more MCU shows to appear on the new Disney+ streaming service: Ms Marvel, She-Hulk and Moon Knight. But Kevin Feige did address the issue when he was asked, and this is what he said:

Quote from: Kevin Feige
I'm feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy. We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we'd be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I'll always be thankful for that.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-marvel-studios-spider-man-disney-dispute-1202703690/

This is damage control right here. I didn't see Far From Home, but I did watch the post-credit scene and I can tell you right now, they wouldn't have ended the movie on a cliffhanger if they thought Spider-Man's tenure in the MCU wasn't going to last.

If the partnership between Sony and Marvel/Disney is really over, a third Tom Holland Spider-Man movie will likely get made nonetheless. But it's going to be very awkward now Sony is prohibited from mentioning events that happened during Peter Parker's time in the MCU. At the very best, all the fans can hope is the next movie makes very subtle references to the previous movies.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

As much as I dislike this website, I enjoy this opinion piece about the MCU not doing Spider-Man justice.

https://www.inverse.com/article/58686-spider-man-sony-mcu-exit-marvel-character-got-him-wrong

Spider-Man has returned to the MCU.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/sony-marvel-tom-holland-spider-man-1203351489/amp/

Lame news, but I can't say I'm too surprised. Disney has too much bargaining power. Oh well, I stopped caring about the MCU awhile ago, so this news doesn't bother me.

I don't think Spider-Man is benefiting from inclusion with the MCU. I realize that's the minority opinion but there it is.

As with other characters, it's kind of neat as a novelty to see Spider-Man interact with other Marvel heroes. But the novelty isn't a novelty anymore.

Meanwhile, I go back and watch the Raimi trilogy and the Webb duology. And you know what? I'm good. Those movies only include characters related to Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel Universe and I'm just fine with that. I don't need him hanging out with other Marvel characters. I'm perfectly happy watching those movies even though nothing unrelated to Spidey is shown in them.

Meanwhile, the MCU Spider-Man movies name-check characters from his comics but he's clearly overwhelmed (or at least diluted) by being an appendage of the MCU rather than a lead character in his own right.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 28 Sep  2019, 00:32
I don't think Spider-Man is benefiting from inclusion with the MCU. I realize that's the minority opinion but there it is.
The MCU killed my interest in the cinematic Spider-Man and the brand as a whole. I don't feel angry, happy or sad about that either. I don't feel anything. The franchise went down a certain road that doesn't appeal to me anymore, and I have the same feeling about Star Wars. I prefer The Matrix series in terms of quality, but it has also maintained a mystique due to its sustained absence. That makes the fourth movie so exciting, wondering where the plot goes to from here. The Spider-Man and Star Wars have lost that appeal, and once it's lost, it's very hard to regain. When push comes to shove I'm a Batman fan first, with Superman trailing behind in second place. Spider-Man isn't in the conversation for me anymore.