Marvel’s Inhumans

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 6 May 2017, 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic

So far, the fan reaction to this show has been mostly negative. That might have something to do with the fact Scott Buck (Iron Fist) is the showrunner. I'm not a fan of the Inhumans comics, so I'm open to giving it a shot. But it doesn't look particularly impressive so far. Especially compared to the MCU Netflix shows.

Without the rights to X-Men, Marvel's been pushing the Inhumans as the MCU's answer to mutants. I get the impression they're trying to make the Inhuman mythology more prominent in the comics too. Certainly Charles Soule's Daredevil run has tied in with the Inhumans' storyline on more than one occasion. It'll be interesting to see if this series boosts the characters' popularity, or sinks it a la Fantastic Flop (2015).

2015 – Fantastic Four

2016 – Ghostbusters

2017 –

To think Inhumans was originally meant to be part of the MCU's film slate. It goes to show that turning it into a TV show wasn't worth it.

The concept sounds interesting enough, and I would've preferred to see this as a film as opposed to having another Spider-Man film again. Bloody Marvel.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

When the best character on your show is a talking dog, you're doomed.

SN you mentioned Scott Buck, do you feel he is responsible for the lackluster season of the Iron Fist? I guess we'll know if season 2 is a marked improvement.

Quote from: riddler on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 03:28
SN you mentioned Scott Buck, do you feel he is responsible for the lackluster season of the Iron Fist? I guess we'll know if season 2 is a marked improvement.

It certainly looks that way. I've heard Buck screwed up the final season of Dexter too, though I never watched that series. But the criticisms I'm hearing about The Inhumans are similar to those of Iron Fist: that it looks cheap, that it's dull and tries too hard to be grounded, that it shies away from the iconography of the comics.

Prior to 2017, the MCU had a flawless record with critics. Some of their films and TV shows got mixed responses, but none were outright panned. Then along comes Buck and delivers too duds in a row. Marvel has been describing The Inhumans as a "complete" series in some of its more recent press materials, suggesting the show may already have been cancelled.

I guess you could say... the Buck stops here.

The odds of me being the first person to make that joke are remarkably slim.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 21:44
Quote from: riddler on Sun,  1 Oct  2017, 03:28

It certainly looks that way. I've heard Buck screwed up the final season of Dexter too, though I never watched that series. But the criticisms I'm hearing about The Inhumans are similar to those of Iron Fist: that it looks cheap, that it's dull and tries too hard to be grounded, that it shies away from the iconography of the comics.

Prior to 2017, the MCU had a flawless record with critics. Some of their films and TV shows got mixed responses, but none were outright panned. Then along comes Buck and delivers too duds in a row. Marvel has been describing The Inhumans as a "complete" series in some of its more recent press materials, suggesting the show may already have been cancelled.

I guess you could say... the Buck stops here.

The odds of me being the first person to make that joke are remarkably slim.

There really was no excuse for the Iron Fist being as bad as it was. As you stated, prior to this year if you asked fans or critics the worst entries in the MCU, your responses may be any of the incredible hulk, the iron man sequels, the first captain america, or the Thor movies. All of which may have underwhelmed some people but are still quite entertaining. The Iron Fist was far below that caliber and from what I'm hearing, Inhumans may be even worse.

I try and be careful about putting negative labels on Hollywood writers, directors, show runners etc. until I find out what exactly went on behind the camera but it seems like everything this guy touches turns to mud. I haven't watched Dexter much either but I am well aware that many fans hated the final season. Currently the only person I would label as a Hollywood Hack is David Goyer but he may have company on that list soon enough if Buck keeps getting associated with trash.