New Batman and Bill (Finger) documentary trailer

Started by Daniel Ross Dudley, Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 19:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, apparently he's not doing too well. Rumor has it that the main reason DC moved ahead with this recent Dark Knight thing is precisely because Miller is in bad shape and they wanted to help him pay his medical bills. So they green-lit a new Dark Knight thing in case he ended up needing it.

I have no clue what happened to him. It's like he aged thirty years in just ten years. You can watch the extras from the Daredevil DVD and Miller seems mostly okay. But he didn't look like that or sound like that even just a few years later. Weird.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 15 May  2017, 16:18
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 15 May  2017, 00:42
It makes you wonder what Stan Lee thinks of Kane these days.

Here's a more recent video where he discusses Kane with Frank Miller.

Thanks. "Bob, stop stealing story ideas from me. We're friends, get your own ideas" says it all.

Bob clearly got an enormous thrill out of telling his 'I created Batman' lie.
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 15 May  2017, 18:12
Yeah, apparently he's not doing too well. Rumor has it that the main reason DC moved ahead with this recent Dark Knight thing is precisely because Miller is in bad shape and they wanted to help him pay his medical bills. So they green-lit a new Dark Knight thing in case he ended up needing it.
I haven't read the Master Race series properly yet. I'm hoping they release a collected volume with everything included down the line. Nothing is going to compare with the original Dark Knight Returns, but apparently the Master Race isn't that bad.

I think it's true when they say artists are at their peak when they're younger. Their brains are firing on all cylinders and they have a point to prove. The young man wants to get his name out there and show his full potential. After success happens, it's human nature to become complacent or simply believe your own press. Or you simply feel like you've already said all you wanted. Michael Keaton alluded to this when he considered doing a sequel to Batman (1989).

He thought there was a risk of copying what he already did, so he decided to take the new project on from a completely fresh set of eyes. Creating things is a very mental exercise, and that's why the sequel is rarely better than the original.

In the case of comic artists... well, it's hit and miss. I don't think time was all that kind to Marshall Rogers or Jim Aparo.

Then again, Norm Breyfogle was kicking all the @$$ before he had that stroke so what do I know?

There's something to it though. I honestly don't think John Romita, Jr ever really recovered from The Man Without Fear, written by Miller. If you look at Junior's early stuff on, say, Spider-Man or Iron Man or even the X-Men, he shows an already strong command of the form and two (possibly three) tons of potential.

But something happened with TMWF, where his art went off the deep end and never really recovered the trajectory it had before.

That's the bad news. The good news is that he does Miller's style better than Miller's done Miller's style since the early 90's. So the work isn't "bad". It's just not a very different style than where he originally started. Age (or something) was no benefit to Junior.

My view though is that Curt Swan was never not on top form during his Superman days. Even into the 80's, his work is phenomenal. So age wasn't detrimental to Swan.

I just saw this great documentary, it's really great to see Bill finally getting credit for everything he created.
And for BvS: Dawn of Justice they changed it to "Batman created by Bob Kane WITH Bill Finger."
And even in the theater is was thinking it should be AND Bill Finger.

They changed it later on now it's "Batman created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger."

Finally after all these years.

Truly loved Batman and Bill.  A beautiful and poignant documentary about the importance of acknowledging a work's creators.  A few moments had me pretty damn well choked up.