Batman & Bill documentary (Hulu May 6th, 2017)

Started by The Joker, Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 16:24

Previous topic - Next topic

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

They couldn't have put this on Netflix instead?

I hate Hulu. Looks like I'll have to find other means of watching this.

I'd heard the rumors about Bill Finger's true role in creating Batman my entire fan life. But hearing this guy's investigation and battle to give Bill Finger credit really is one of those truth is stranger than any fiction types of stories.

Still, Kane's triumph with his deal for Batman is one of the reasons I never had much sympathy for Siegel and Shuster's Superman deal. Yeah, the Superman deal might have sucked. But they're the ones who made it. A good deal could have been made because Bob Kane waltzed into Vin Sullivan's office a year later and made a good deal.

Finger was outfoxed by Kane on the Batman deal. But here again, a good deal probably could have been made if Finger had made the right moves at the right time. But at least he's getting his credit now, which is better than nothing.

Me, I'd prefer for the credit to read "Batman created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger" but I guess "with Bill Finger" is better than nothing. And who knows, maybe it'll get better in the future.

I'm very curious about watching this. I wonder if anyone in the Kane estate will complain about this documentary?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 22 Apr  2017, 00:05I'm very curious about watching this. I wonder if anyone in the Kane estate will complain about this documentary?
Unless Kane's character is being defamed without evidence, I'm not sure what recourse they could possibly have.

The truth shouldn't fear investigation, right?

I really enjoyed the documentary. I've been in the mood for superhero documentaries lately. Someone posted a picture of a Batmania VHS documentary in the comments section of this site's FB page, so I hunted it down and watched it the other day. I also watched the Bio's Inside Story for the Adam West series and looking to re-tread all of the special features on all the Batman and Superman films I own.

Pretty good documentary, although I do get really annoyed when the filmmaker of the documentary decides to make himself the center of attention instead of the subject at hand. Also, they seemed to convently leave out details about the creation of Batman, such as how they copied from a story from The Shadow. If you're going to bare all the details, include that as well.