Deffinition Batman Graphic Novel Reviews

Started by Deffinition, Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 17 Jul  2017, 01:07The story always goes on, but I think Knightfall would've been a good ending for Batman. Sure, it ends in defeat, but that's how his story is likely going to end. Batman will keep suiting up every night until the moment he dies, or in this case, is crippled. Knightfall is cinematic in scope. Every villain is released, so we get those cameos. Batman is at his most brutal and determined here, which gives fans the action they want to see. But he's also desperate and vulnerable, which makes us connect with his plight on an emotional level as well. It's a simple story but one that hits all the right notes for me. I love it.
Well, the most plausible way it would end is that a thug would fire a lucky shot and that'd be the end. Whether that's his first night on the job or after twenty years of dedicated service, that's the most likely outcome.

Short of that, I regard Hush as Batman's series finale. That's where my printed canon for Batman ends. My imaginary canon doesn't extend far beyond that, tbh, but maybe some things are best left to the imagination. So yeah. Hush. That's the end of Batman's story for me... if not necessarily the end of Batman exactly. If that makes sense.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 17 Jul  2017, 03:08
Well, the most plausible way it would end is that a thug would fire a lucky shot and that'd be the end. Whether that's his first night on the job or after twenty years of dedicated service, that's the most likely outcome.
Sure, I don't dispute that. But I like the way that Knightfall makes Batman retire. Giving up is not in his DNA. He has to be made to retire. The willpower is there but the body isn't, and I that's a fair trade off. His life literally flashes before his eyes. This way, Batman realizes he has been utterly beaten which to him, would be a fate worse than death. It makes for a heroic and tragic finale to his career, with plenty of nods to the past villains.

But what I really like is the fact Bane is a new villain. It's similar to mafia movies where the crime family kills all of their enemies and thinks the job is done. They're home free. But there's always someone new out there waiting in the wings to take you down. And they do.  Of course, with the passing of time, your conquerer is eventually replaced by another challenger, and so it goes on. It's a never ending cycle.

It's not a happy ending, but I don't think Batman gets one. Even if he lives to be an old man, he'd be all alone ala Beyond.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 17 Jul  2017, 03:08
Short of that, I regard Hush as Batman's series finale. That's where my printed canon for Batman ends. My imaginary canon doesn't extend far beyond that, tbh, but maybe some things are best left to the imagination. So yeah. Hush. That's the end of Batman's story for me... if not necessarily the end of Batman exactly. If that makes sense.
It does. I like Hush, and it's nice to see the story is getting some love. The art is quality but the story itself isn't that bad.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 17 Jul  2017, 03:49It does. I like Hush, and it's nice to see the story is getting some love. The art is quality but the story itself isn't that bad.
Marking it as the end of Batman's published canon is pretty much the only way I can see any good in the story at all. And it's a good conclusion for Batman. Gordon has retired, Harvey is cured and the reader has had a chance to see Batman's greatest hits riffed upon in the context of a whole new generation of heroes that he has raised. Selina knows his secret and there's always a chance they can finally make it work. It ends on a pretty hopeful note for Batman, all things considered.

I think my ideal finale for Superman would be an amalgamation of Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? and Kingdom Come. Basically, the entirety of Whatever Happened? would play out exactly as is.

Superman would de-power himself and live a quiet life with Lois Lane for a number of years.
A couple of years later, the Joker would kill Lois during his Daily Planet rampage.
Clark would go into further seclusion (another decade) and regain his powers when he decides enough is enough.
He helps save the day again, and it ends with Supes and Wonder Woman expecting a child.

I think that would be a nice balance.

Superman gets something of a happy ending whereas Batman doesn't.

So come to think of it, Kingdom Come would be be ideal ending for both Batman and Superman. Because Kingdom Come Batman didn't fully recover from his encounter with Bane and had to wear the exoskeleton at all times, and mostly just controlled drones from inside the batcave which he sealed off. So really, I get the best of both worlds: Knightfall's back breaker and Batman Beyond's lonely old man.

Just dropped my video review of The Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade. Gonna be reviewing TDKR canon in the lead up to DK3 so please subscribe to my channel to see more as they come

The Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade
I'm reviewing all of the Batman Canon at my website. Check it out at :
http://deffinition.co.uk/batman-canon-timeline-and-graphic-novel-reviews/