Deffinition Batman Graphic Novel Reviews

Started by Deffinition, Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic
I was going to start a new thread talking about Dark Victory, but I thought it'd be better to post about it here because Deffinition already reviewed it.

http://deffinition.co.uk/batman-dark-victory-review-by-deffinition/

Hey Deff, I agree with a lot of your analysis on Dark Victory. I'd say guilt is a recurring theme in Dark Victory.

Bruce felt guilty for not telling Harvey about his secret identity because he thinks showing some trust might've prevented Harvey from becoming Two-Face, so he decides to take a leap of faith by telling Dick Grayson the truth about who he is. It does add another layer into Bruce adopting Dick - as showing him trust enables Dick to live a good life on the way to become Robin.

Alfred, as you say in your review, makes up for his guilt for not telling Bruce he won't ever be alone when he was mourning for his parents as a child, by comforting Dick in the present. The pages where it mirrors Bruce and Dick's lonely moments as boys make it much more personal. I'd gather in Alfred's mind: if he had showed more support, Bruce wouldn't be isolating those around him. Maybe he wouldn't push Selina Kyle away if he embraced those around him. Confiding in Dick and showing that support would help Dick not to grow up too isolating and cold like Bruce Wayne is.

If there's a moral of the story I can take from Dark Victory, is you'd be surprised with how much a difference you can make in somebody's life if you give them that leap of faith.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Hey that's a brilliant analysis of it. Never even really thought about it like that but it's great the see the huge leap that Bruce takes and almost the regret he has from seeing how successful it is that he never trust Dent.

Got a whole host of new reviews on the site now. Linked below.

Batman Chronological Timeline Review

As always thanks everyone who check the reviews out. Means alot!
I'm reviewing all of the Batman Canon at my website. Check it out at :
http://deffinition.co.uk/batman-canon-timeline-and-graphic-novel-reviews/

Hi Everyone

Just posted my review of the Knightfall triology at the following links.

Batman Knightfall Review

Batman Knightquest Review

Batman Knightsend Review

Would love to know your thoughts on them!

Cheers

I finished reading Knightfall nearly a month ago, and on my way reading Knightsquest.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think of Bane is the biggest cheat that Batman has ever faced? He knows very well that breaking out the rogues and prisoners would exhaust Batman's willpower, yet not only does Bane ambush Batman at his own home, he uses Venom to completely destroy him. Strategic? Definitely? But it's definitely not a fair fight. Then again, this conflict was never about honour.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 00:25
Is it just me, or does anybody else think of Bane is the biggest cheat that Batman has ever faced?
Yes.
He knows very well that breaking out the rogues and prisoners would exhaust Batman's willpower, yet not only does Bane ambush Batman at his own home, he uses Venom to completely destroy him. Strategic? Definitely? But it's definitely not a fair fight.
That's the whole point of the story. A villain not playing fair? Say it ain't so LF!

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 01:55
He knows very well that breaking out the rogues and prisoners would exhaust Batman's willpower, yet not only does Bane ambush Batman at his own home, he uses Venom to completely destroy him. Strategic? Definitely? But it's definitely not a fair fight.
That's the whole point of the story. A villain not playing fair? Say it ain't so LF!

Hahaha, I knew I was setting myself up for failure after making that comment!  :D

As deranged as Bat-Azrael is, it was poetic justice when he confronted and defeated Bane, isn't it? Jean-Paul Valley was equally as ruthless and cunning.

Yeah Bane screws Batman over a lot, which back fires because he sets himself up as this invincible leader of Gotham, which is something that he really isn't, so when Jean Paul takes him on he beats him pretty easily

Quote from: Deffinition on Thu, 13 Jul  2017, 18:37
Yeah Bane screws Batman over a lot, which back fires because he sets himself up as this invincible leader of Gotham, which is something that he really isn't, so when Jean Paul takes him on he beats him pretty easily
I think Knightfall was a good story as to why Bruce Wayne is Batman and the others aren't.

Sure, Azrael had a meaner suit, but Batman is more than just a suit. Batman is about balance. Bruce has mental issues, but they don't overwhelm him. Azrael didn't care for detective work, so he made false conclusions about people. Batman can have disagreements and be standoffish with allies such as Robin, but would he completely drive them away? I don't think so. Azrael's Batman represents a man driven to the edge of obsession to the point he tries to kill the allies he drove away via his aggressive and egotistical 'go it alone' stance.

When Azrael is forced to remove parts of his costume at the end of the story, we're left with an inferior product.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  8 Jul  2017, 03:11
As deranged as Bat-Azrael is, it was poetic justice when he confronted and defeated Bane, isn't it? Jean-Paul Valley was equally as ruthless and cunning.
I enjoy the rematch in Legacy with the fully fit Batman.

A reprint should be coming out soon. I'll be picking it up.

One thing I don't know that we ever got was a normal Batman throwing with a 'roided up Bane. It's Batman's comic so we can be sure he would've won. But I would've wanted to see it anyway because reasons.

The story always goes on, but I think Knightfall would've been a good ending for Batman. Sure, it ends in defeat, but that's how his story is likely going to end. Batman will keep suiting up every night until the moment he dies, or in this case, is crippled. Knightfall is cinematic in scope. Every villain is released, so we get those cameos. Batman is at his most brutal and determined here, which gives fans the action they want to see. But he's also desperate and vulnerable, which makes us connect with his plight on an emotional level as well. It's a simple story but one that hits all the right notes for me. I love it.