Deffinition Batman Graphic Novel Reviews

Started by Deffinition, Fri, 21 Apr 2017, 10:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Nah that's really cool, just noticed this has everything in, thanks a lot really appreciate that!!!
I'm reviewing all of the Batman Canon at my website. Check it out at :
http://deffinition.co.uk/batman-canon-timeline-and-graphic-novel-reviews/

Check out my review of

Batman The Man Who Laughs

Really really REALLY good book that is a retelling of the Joker's First Experience that I think most fans will enjoy.

Cheers

I like this one. If I had to take a limited number of Joker comics with me to a dessert island (I'm an ice cream guy), two would be The Killing Joke and The Man Who Laughs. Why? Because in these two comics they capture integral aspects to the Joker's personality which click for me.

In The Killing Joke we have the clown who wants to prove a point. The determined man with a plan.
In The Man Who Laughs we have the showman broadcasting his plans on television and then carrying them out.

The early years Batman comics are fantastic. The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Monster Men, The Mad Monk, Venom, The Man Who Laughs, Prey, Gothic...all really good reads. There's an exciting energy about them.

To me, the saving grace of the Killing Joke is the Joker's back story. We've seen the Joker kill his own minions because they didn't laugh at his jokes. The Killing Joke shows us where his thin skin comes from.

The Killing Joke marked the beginning of the Joker crossing too many lines. But the good point about it is that Alan Moore's understanding of the Joker's psychology (and what it implies about his own history) is beyond reproach.

yeah its a really gritty take on it in the killing joke.

Man who laughs is almost like a horror movie to me in the way that hes like an unstoppable killer.

anyway

My Batman Prey Review is up and i'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on it

Cheers

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 May  2017, 18:55
To me, the saving grace of the Killing Joke is the Joker's back story. We've seen the Joker kill his own minions because they didn't laugh at his jokes. The Killing Joke shows us where his thin skin comes from.

The Killing Joke marked the beginning of the Joker crossing too many lines. But the good point about it is that Alan Moore's understanding of the Joker's psychology (and what it implies about his own history) is beyond reproach.

A friend of mine told me he was enjoying The Killing Joke right until the end, where Joker apologetically declined Batman's offer for rehabilitation. He reckons that the Joker is supposed to be the devil incarnate for doing these depraved things to the Gordons, and that for him to even consider Batman's offer cheapens him as a truly psychotic villain - that he's just another tragic villain.

I disagree. Yes, the comedian became the Joker because of tragic circumstances, and but his frailties don't mitigate his psychotic personality or how evil his crimes are. The whole point of TKJ is Joker went too far and he had no sense of moral restraint. Batman and Jim Gordon didn't let the tragedies they've experienced in their lives destroy their morality or change their personality, and they still believed in doing the right thing for the community. No matter how much I could feel sorry for the Joker, what makes him evil is he would dare inflict pain and trauma upon other innocent people...just to prove his twisted point of how life is miserable is. To share his own misery with others. There's a perverted selfishness going on there, and it's absolutely not sympathetic at all.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm posting this as stream of consciousness so it may be rubbish, or it may be gold. But I see the Joker as being similar to a drug addict. He's gone down the rabbit hole and he's having a jolly old time. He's getting high and doing crazy stuff. But in his quieter moments, he's well aware that he's losing himself. He's slowly killing his soul. But he rationalizes that it's just too hard to go back. It's too hard to kick his habit and go cold turkey. So the addict simply accepts his new life and if anything, goes harder. The Joker seems to be much the same.

Sun, 14 May 2017, 09:47 #27 Last Edit: Sun, 14 May 2017, 14:12 by Azrael
Quote from: Deffinition on Fri, 12 May  2017, 11:19

My Batman Prey Review is up and i'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on it

Cheers

One thing I always liked is Paul Gulacy's artwork.

Quote from: Azrael on Sun, 14 May  2017, 09:47One thing I always liked is Paul Gulacy's artwork.
Ditto. Some artists have no idea how to draw fights. But nine times out of ten, Gulacy would give his characters (or Batman anyway) the right foot work, the right balance and all that. Now and then, minor things would be off (strikes are not executed properly even though they look gorgeous) but mostly Gulacy is solid on this stuff.

Seriously underrated talent.

Yeah Gulacy always kills it, really underrated artist.