The Perfect Order to Watch the Star Wars Saga

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 13 Apr 2017, 20:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 20 Apr  2017, 00:16
I think TPM has merit for simply being a rather enjoyable watch. Attack of the Clones is dull and in my opinion, the worst in the franchise. However, things really kick into gear with Revenge of the Sith.

I rate the PT the same as you. Here are my thoughts on each of those films.

EPISODE I

For all its faults, there's still a lot to admire about The Phantom Menace. It's by far the best looking of the PT, and that's mainly due to two technical factors: firstly it was shot on 35mm, so it has a textured look that's consistent with Episodes IV-VII and vastly superior to the digital photography in Episodes II and III; and secondly it made far more extensive use of practical effects, real sets and location work than the other two PT films.

Episode I also doesn't rely as heavily on rehashing old designs and iconography as some of the other films do. Many of the locations, alien creatures, vehicle and weapon designs in Phantom Menace are unique to that one film. Likewise it contains some imaginative set pieces that are distinct from the action scenes in the other movies (the submarine trip through the Naboo planet core, the Boonta Eve Podrace, the battle between the Gungans and the Trade Federation). Lucas invested sixteen years worth of imagination into The Phantom Menace and it shows. If anything, the movie suffers from having too many new ideas crammed into it. But in a film like this, I'd say it's better to have a surfeit of imagination than a drought. And I'll give Episode I credit for having more originality and imagination than either of the two most recent Star Wars movies. Though of course not all the original concepts were good (midi-chlorians).

On the downside, Episode I has far too many new characters. There isn't time to introduce or develop them all properly, and consequently even the major protagonists end up being sorely underwritten. Remember Sio Bibble, Ric Olié and Kitster? No? Well they all had speaking roles and appeared in multiple scenes. The fact you likely don't remember them is a testament to the film's inadequate approach to characterisation. The comic relief is also ill-judged, and in particular the use of Jar Jar Binks to dilute scenes that might otherwise have been dramatic. There's a lot of unnecessary fan service too, most of which is just plain silly (Anakin building Threepio). Overall, there isn't much human drama beneath the action and special effects. The only legitimately dramatic scenes are those between Anakin and his mother. That relationship works and the scene where they say goodbye to one another is genuinely touching. But aside from that, there's not much emotional content. But I don't hate The Phantom Menace. It's nowhere near the quality of the OT, but I don't think it's a terrible film on its own terms.

EPISODE II

Attack of the Clones on the other hand is rubbish. I'm sorry, but it is. Whenever I rewatch the saga, I always find Episode II a real slog to get through. It's an FX-driven toy commercial with bad acting, terrible dialogue and horrific overuse of digital characters and environments to accomplish things that could easily have been rendered in live action.

But the worst thing about Episode II from a dramatic perspective is the love story. The entire emotional crux of the film revolves around this relationship, but it doesn't work on any level. It's badly written, badly acted and it doesn't make sense. We're told Anakin and Padme fell in love, but we don't see it happen for ourselves. Consequently the emotions they're expressing come across as inauthentic. The counterfeit drama they're trying to evoke isn't earned.

When precisely did Padme fall in love with Anakin? Was it when he was a preadolescent boy (which would be extremely disturbing) or was it when he was leering at her in such a way that made her feel "uncomfortable"? We're never shown how or why she falls in love with him. But all of a sudden we're told she is in love with him, because the plot needs her to be. And why does her career as a senator prohibit her from having a boyfriend? I get why Anakin is meant to remain unattached, but why is she? As with the rest of this storyline, the glib star-crossed angle just doesn't work. And if she's so reluctant to fall in love with Anakin, then why does she keep putting on sexy revealing dresses and luring him off to romantic locations where they can be alone together?

In the RedLetterMedia review, Mr. Plinkett made one simple suggestion that would have fixed this problem: instead of having Anakin pursue Padme, Padme should have pursued Anakin. Imagine if Anakin was depicted as emotionally withdrawn, desperately trying to adhere to his Jedi training and not get emotionally attached to Padme. Meanwhile Padme is pleasantly surprised when she sees what a dashing young man Anakin has matured into. She starts to feel attracted to him, and her feelings intensify after he saves her from an assassination attempt. Padme then requests the Jedi Council assign him as her protector and sets about trying to seduce him.

The only really good scene in Attack of the Clones is the one where Shmi dies. It's nicely shot, well acted and the emotions feel earned and authentic. This should have been the turning point in the story where Anakin's emotional detachment begins to fail. This is where his cold, stoic facade breaks for the first time and his passion takes over. Then the scene with him and Padme back at the farm would have carried far more weight. That should've been the first time he revealed his vulnerable side. It should also have been the first time they kissed instead of the cheesy scene by the lake. In effect, Anakin would have turned to Padme as a sort of surrogate mother after losing Shmi. Giving Padme the more active role in the relationship would've leant her character a darker seductive edge and made her more interesting. Having her be responsible for Anakin breaking from Jedi doctrine would also have made her culpable in his eventual fall to the Dark Side, and that would have added a tragic layer of guilt to her character in Episode III. I believe this could have worked.

But instead we got Anakin's euphemisms about sand...

EPISODE III

Revenge of the Sith has many of the same technical problems as Episode II – overuse of CGI, digital photography, overdone action scenes, some dodgy acting and dialogue, one or two plot points that don't make sense – but overall, I really like it. Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I think Episode III works where it counts. It makes the viewer feel something, and not just the frustration they felt watching Episodes I and II. The tragedy arouses genuine pathos. Episode III also depicts the greatest moments of peripeteia in the entire saga. It takes us from the relative peace of the Republic to the tyranny of the Empire; we see the ascent of Palpatine and the genocide of the Jedi; we witness Anakin go from heroic knight to Dark Lord of the Sith in one of the most drastic character arcs of the franchise.

Some say his transition to Sith is too abrupt, and there's an argument to be made for that. But for me, it works. The Dark Side is meant to be a seductive fast track to forbidden power, and I interpret the velocity of Anakin's immersion in darkness as symbolic of his desperation to save Padme. He didn't suddenly turn evil after Mace Windu's death. I believe the monstrous quest Anakin undertook following that scene was every bit as abhorrent to his nature as it would have been twenty-four hours earlier, but he forced himself to walk that path anyway in the hopes of cultivating enough Dark Side power to save his wife. Is it rushed? Maybe. But like I say, for me it works.

There are some legitimately good scenes in Revenge of the Sith. Most notably the opera scene and the Order 66 montage. The quality of acting and writing, while still wobbly in places, is generally improved over the standard displayed in Episode II. And the soundtrack represents Williams' finest Star Wars score to date. So yes, I do like Revenge of the Sith, warts and all. In fact I might even like it more than Episodes VII and Rogue One, although I think they are objectively better films. My ranking of the movies tends to change each time I watch them. The only consistency is Episode II being the worst.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 20 Apr  2017, 00:16Chirrut Imwe is not a Jedi, but for me, he's a much better character than any Jedi we see in the prequel trilogy. His dialogue is golden. "Let them pass in peace." "All is as the Force wills it." And so on. He's wise, kicks ass in combat and is at peace with himself. The fact he's blind is what I really dig. The guy is in tune with the Force and the Force is all about spirituality. Sensing things. Acting from within and mastering your reflexes. He doesn't need eyes to see. He's not a Jedi, but isn't that what the religion of the Force is all about?

And he wasn't overpowered like the PT Jedi. His Force sensitivity didn't render him immune to danger, so there was always a real sense he could get hurt. Which ultimately – SPOILERS – he did.

On the subject of Force powers, I loved the way Vader's skills were depicted in Rogue One. I always admired Vader's fighting style in the OT. He didn't need to somersault through the air or perform lots of unnecessary pirouettes. Vader's fighting style was all about power, precision and control. I was worried they might use an overchoreographed prequel-style of swordplay in Rogue One, but thankfully they had him fight the way he did in Episodes V and VI. It felt pleasantly consistent with the OT.

Vader's the boss.

Quote from: Azrael on Fri, 21 Apr  2017, 12:29IV must always be the first IMO for people who haven't been exposed to I-VI: it's the one where most SW concepts are introduced, and can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone adventure. It doesn't require knowledge from the rest of the movies, it ends without any sort of cliffhanger.

I've always rated Episodes IV and V as the best, but I go back and forth over which is my personal favourite. Right now, it's Episode IV. The Empire Strikes Back is more polished, but I love the originality of the first film. It's the movie that introduced us to this amazing universe and it has a grand old Hollywood feel to it, with legendary screen actors (Alec Guinness and my all-time favourite thespian Peter Cushing), massive sets, a brilliant musical score and huge crowd scenes. It feels like a legitimate epic, not just another entry in an ongoing franchise. It's child-friendly without being condescending, and it's the only film in the saga which really functions as a standalone story. For some reason, it also feels like the most British of the Star Wars films. So right now, A New Hope is my favourite. And I agree that it's the best starting point for new fans.

There was a lot of excitement over the fact that AOTC and ROTS were shot digitally. But both were obsolete at most four or five years after they were released. I don't think 4k versions of those are even possible because the source is stuck at its original resolution and nothing can ever change that.

As to the rest... well, the idea of Padme pursuing Anakin has a lot of potential to it. She's been committed to "duty" and "obligation" her entire life. It makes sense that she would, ahem, go a little crazy in her early 20's. That's hardly a sci-fi concept. And I could picture Anakin, trying to put his old life behind him completely, resisting at first.

We're basically supposed to view the Jedi as warrior monks. And so it's a little hard to believe that a monk would so easily cast his religion aside just to chase some girl.

All in all, Padme as the aggressor in the relationship really opens up a lot of possibilities. The only weak point with that approach is that it risks exonerating the Jedi. For everything else I could say about the prequels, one thing Lucas was brave in doing was casting the Jedi Order in a pretty unfavorable light. Mace Windu and Yoda are both intentionally played as jerks. They're more concerned with staying in the Senate's good books than doing the right thing.

My view is that the Jedi Order failed Anakin rather than vice versa. I'm rather fond of the idea of the Jedi Code being fundamentally flawed and the Jedi Order as a bunch of out-of-touch blowhards who ignore Anakin and his problems except when it's convenient for them.

But still, I REALLY like the Padme as aggressor idea. So those may be worthy sacrifices.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Fri, 21 Apr  2017, 22:55
On the subject of Force powers, I loved the way Vader's skills were depicted in Rogue One. I always admired Vader's fighting style in the OT. He didn't need to somersault through the air or perform lots of unnecessary pirouettes. Vader's fighting style was all about power, precision and control. I was worried they might use an overchoreographed prequel-style of swordplay in Rogue One, but thankfully they had him fight the way he did in Episodes V and VI. It felt pleasantly consistent with the OT.
Totally. Vader is amazing and so much more complex than he is ever given credit for. By the time he realizes Palpatine tricked him, what choice does he really have other than fully embracing this new way of life? He's basically a tormented and depressed slave. He betrayed his friends and killed a morgue full of Jedi. His only way forward is to become a powerful monster. That's all he has left. In his quest to save Padme he killed her. He became somebody Padme was disgusted and frightened by. Selfishness consumed his brain. It's only when he discovers Luke is his son that he finds true purpose again - but he's still clouded by the Vader persona. He's going to overthrow the Emperor and rule the galaxy with his child. The fact Vader wears a mask makes it all better to me. You can't read his expressions. But you know he's thinking under there. He has a lot of time to think.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 22 Apr  2017, 00:06
For everything else I could say about the prequels, one thing Lucas was brave in doing was casting the Jedi Order in a pretty unfavorable light. Mace Windu and Yoda are both intentionally played as jerks. They're more concerned with staying in the Senate's good books than doing the right thing.

My view is that the Jedi Order failed Anakin rather than vice versa. I'm rather fond of the idea of the Jedi Code being fundamentally flawed and the Jedi Order as a bunch of out-of-touch blowhards who ignore Anakin and his problems except when it's convenient for them.
Which is ripe material for The Last Jedi and Episode IX. If Jedi Orders keep getting massacred by dark side users (Anakin and Ben Solo), something must be fundamentally wrong with the teachings. Something has got to change because this just can't keep happening. These people felt alienated and rejected the environment they were in. I think a reformation of some kind is definitely needed.

Anyone looking for a story about a schism in the Jedi Order should check out the Knights of the Old Republic videogames. They depict a turbulent period where the Mandalorians were sweeping across the galaxy terrorising star systems. This presented the Jedi with a moral dilemma – should they exercise their powers to intervene, or remain objective and avoid fighting. Looking back on it, the storyline has a lot of topical parallels with what's happening now with groups like ISIS. The Jedi Council decided not to interfere, but many Jedi decided to go and fight anyway. The KOTOR games take place in the aftermath of that schism.

More points on Vader.

I like the idea Vader's version of the fortress of solitude is on Mustarfar. The very place where he was created. He won't go back to Tattoine because that reflects his old life. He wants to forget that. He instead embraces the anger and pain of his new life to fuel his crusade. It's messed up but perfect for the character. I want to see more of this location and apparently we will. Could it be where Snoke completes Kylo Ren's training?

"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, director."

I think this is a great line. It's very much in line with "apology accepted, Captain Needa".

Vader's entrance from the bacta tank is also spot on. We glimpse Vader at a moment of weakness, ala TESB with his mask off, but it's obscured in a way to maintain a sense of mystery. Vader's silhouette against the wall as he walks out of the mist is also great because it's THEATRICAL. This guy knows how to make a dramatic entrance. And Krennic is scared stiff.

The end of RO was a good blend for me. Sure, the plans get out because they have to. But Vader causes dread within the enemy just from his presence, and he kills everyone within his reach. He's a dark and scary thought and nobody wants to be left alone with him. In TESB, Vader doesn't catch the Rebels but the generator was destroyed. The Rebels fled.

I also think the Falcon flying away from Vader was a good compromise. Because if Vader arrived on the scene sooner, there's a good chance Han and the others would've been stopped before they boarded the ship. Sure, Vader didn't capture Luke at Cloud City, but he cut off his hand and did defeat him. Vader didn't want to kill Luke so that dictated his response. He tried to reason with Luke, just as Han did with Ben. Not turning Luke to the Dark Side ultimately was a victory because it set him free.

All villains fail. But Vader somehow never appears that the reason why the heroes escape is his fault, but due to incredible hero luck or deus ex machina resolutions. An example of this is the trench run. Vader was shooting down X-Wings. He closed in on Luke and said "I have you now". Then Han came out of nowhere. A TIE fighter clipped Vader and he was sent hurtling away into space.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 23 Apr  2017, 02:03
It's very much in line with "apology accepted, Captain Needa".

I've always maintained that's the single funniest line of dialogue in the entire saga. The only other one that comes close is Palpatine's line: "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive." There's something intrinsically hilarious about Sith sarcasm.

Also, Rogue One is consistent with A New Hope's Vader who loves a coverup.

A New Hope:
"Send a distress signal and then inform the Senate all aboard were killed."

Rogue One:
"There is no Death Star. The Senate has been informed that Jedha was destroyed in a mining disaster."

Small touches make all the difference.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 24 Apr  2017, 11:06
A New Hope:
"Send a distress signal and then inform the Senate all aboard were killed."

Rogue One:
"There is no Death Star. The Senate has been informed that Jedha was destroyed in a mining disaster."

There's a nice touch of black humour to those quotes. There's something very funny about the idea of the Empire going round massacring people and blowing up planets, then offering lame PR excuses to cover it up. Evil though this may sound, I really love the Empire. They're so much wittier, more stylish and badass than the Rebels.

Another thing I liked about Rogue One was the portrayal of the backstabbing and political infighting within the Empire itself. I read James Luceno's novels Tarkin and Catalyst last year, and they explore this subject in greater depth. By time we get to Episode IV, Vader and Tarkin are already established as the Emperor's favourites. They're the head boys, so to speak. But they had to fend off numerous competitors within the Empire to reach that status. There were plenty of other ambitious Imperials vying for Palpatine's favour, many of whom resented Vader and Tarkin and tried to eliminate them in the advancement of their own careers. There was a hint of this in A New Hope when Vader chokes out the officer who insults him. But in Rogue One the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin was one of the most prominent and interesting subplots.

In Catalyst, Luceno portrays Krennic as an ambitious engineer who is desperately seeking the Emperor's approval. One of the biggest obstacles in his ascent through the ranks of the Empire is Tarkin. Krennic doesn't trust Tarkin and is wary of the latter's interest in his work. A rivalry develops between them that finally comes to a head in the movie. Tarkin not only commandeers the Death Star, but then uses it to annihilate Krennic and his entire complex on Scarif. It just illustrates what a ruthless and effective strategist Tarkin truly was, and that makes him seem all the more menacing in Episode IV.

You're right. The Empire is just more fun. They have the cool vehicles, the internal politics and the cool weapons. The Rebels being a ragtag bunch of misfits is their whole shtick, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy that too. They band together and through teamwork, they achieve the impossible because they have to. It's fight back or die.

I like how Rogue One added more meaning to the Death Star. Not just the deliberate weakness plot point, but the fact the Empire was mining an enormous amount of Kyber crystals to fuel the superlazer. I like that the lazer was used a number of times as well.

In Rogue One they were popping pimples.

The ancient city of Jedha? Gone.
The installation on Scariff? Gone.

In A New Hope they were taking off the entire head.

Alderaan? Completely destroyed.
Yavin? Moments from being completely destroyed.

Alderaan's destruction is still the first time the Empire demonstrated their weapon's full potential. The Senate was disbanded during the events of A New Hope, but they would have been completely shocked about it because they were kept in the dark with lies and misdirection. The Empire was now ready to truly stand on its own two feet and rule with fear and power.

I'll say this for the Empire: stuff worked under Palpatine.

For clarification, I should say that my canon is the original unaltered trilogy and not much else. So your opinions may differ from mine. But Palpatine basically brought peace to the galaxy far, far away... and it would've stayed that way if some warmongering liberals hadn't caused so much trouble.

The Jedi Order was basically extinct... and based on Obi-Wan and Yoda's behavior just in the original trilogy, it's hard to see that as a completely bad thing. Or even a mostly bad thing. And if anything, the prequels shine an even brighter light on what a bunch of self-interested jerks the Jedi all were. If anything, Obi-Wan is probably the best among them. But we've set the bar pretty low here.

All in all, I'd probably rather live under the Empire than under the United Federation of Planets.