Previous topic - Next topic

Aquaman

Directed by James Wan

Starring Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry/Aquaman

Amber Heard as Mera

Patrick Wilson as Ocean Master

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta

Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus

Looks like Aquaman has a pretty good cast, and I've grown increasingly interested in seeing this. Never been all that well versed in Aquaman comics, but I did enjoy the animated film Justice League Throne of Atlantis, and if Wan and Momoa can exceed that, then Aquaman will be off to a very good start!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Dolph's in this?! I'm sold.

Even without Dolph, I think this has the potential to be one of the more interesting upcoming superhero films. For one thing, no one's ever made a live action feature film about an oceanic superhero before. And secondly, James Wan is a very solid director. He's never made a great film, but he's made several highly entertaining ones (especially The Conjuring series). This decade in particular, Wan's been more or less consistent in the quality of his directorial output (Insidious 2 being the only blip). And it's nice to see him reteaming with Nite Owl II on what will be their fifth collaboration. So yeah, this one looks promising.

If Aquaman was made in the 80s, I can only imagine Cannon Films buying the rights, and Lundgren starring in the lead role. :D
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Fri, 28 Apr 2017, 12:08 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 28 Apr 2017, 12:22 by Azrael
^ Or, James Cameron would direct it.

Yes, of the numerous comic book films coming out in the next few years, Aquaman seems to be one of the most interesting.

Speaking of Wan, I loved some of the Insidious films too. Not masterpieces, but solid supernatural horror (well, more fantasy than actual scares). Material realm, spectral realm. Reminds me of something.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 26 Apr  2017, 13:49
If Aquaman was made in the 80s, I can only imagine Cannon Films buying the rights, and Lundgren starring in the lead role. :D

And if it were moderately successful, a sequel or two with a ridiculously cheap budget.

New Images of Amber Heard as Mera.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

She looks great - I'm getting Poison Ivy vibes with the hair and green costume, which isn't a complaint but an observation. The costume's simplicity is its, er, greatest asset. Between Margot Robbie, Gal Gadot, Antje Traue, Amy Adams and now Amber Heard, the DCEU has a stunning female cast. This is fantastic because the Burton/Schumacher era had its fair share of stunners too. Basinger, Pfeiffer, Kidman, McPherson and Thurman don't need any introduction.

I can't ignore Amanda Waller either. With all of the what if? discussions around Suicide Squad, the positives seem to be forgotten. Waller is probably my favorite DCEU villain so far, even though I've enjoyed EisenLex and Zod. A cold, calculating b**** and played with quiet charm and menace.

The Nolan era didn't do much for me with its casting decisions in this department.

But back to Aquaman.

The JL trailer really sold me on this interpretation of the character. He seems to have a bit of everything with his tough/funny blend, and if they can capture that same vibe for the solo film, I honestly think it will be a crowd pleaser. Casting Momoa was clearly the right decision.

So looking forward to this. Already in love with Jason's Aquaman and madly in love with Amber's Mera. Add in Nicole Kidman and Dolph Lungren? I'm so in.

This Black Manta costume might well be my favourite DCEU costume to date. It's definitely my favourite villain costume. If it looks this good in the finished film, it'll be perfect.