Stephen King's IT (2017)

Started by The Joker, Thu, 30 Mar 2017, 01:12

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 17:31
I've read about half a dozen Stephen King novels, but It isn't one of them. So this is all new to me. It does seem like there's a lot of material missing from the TV version. In an age when film studios are needlessly adapting 200 page novels into 9-hour movie trilogies, this could be a rare instance where a multi-film treatment is actually called for.

That true. IT is one of those King novels that would, if the goal is to adapt it as closely to the book as possible and not streamline, benefit from having a actual series that begins and ends during one season. Especially if entities like The Other, and The Turtle are to ever be fully acknowledged.   

QuoteHas it been confirmed if they're definitely making a second film featuring the adult versions of the characters? I liked the way the TV version cut back and forth between the two time periods. Seeing the adult characters reacting to their childhood traumas was a great way of building suspense prior to Pennywise's appearance. It showed us the effect before showing us the cause, and that made anticipation of the cause all the more frightening.

I think that that is the hope. For this to be successful, and which would conclude with a follow-up. I agree that if it's just strictly the child cast, with no fast forwards back and forth between the Loser Club as kids and adults, there is something that's going to be lost there in the narrative storytelling sense. Since the back and forth was indeed the case within the novel and the 1990 tele films.

On the topic of Rob Zombie and Halloween, yeah, he was an odd choice for director on something like a remake/reboot of Halloween. Speaking of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", I remember Zombie enjoyed alot of goodwill following "The Devils Rejects" which came across as basically Rob Zombie doing his version of "The Texas Chainsaw Masscare Part 2". i.E. Alot more comedic dialogue. Focusing more on the family of killers, a unstable Sheriff out for vengeance due to a relative getting killed by the family, ect.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 19:44Had he been much better-known I think Roger Allam, who is now an established name in stuff like "Game of Thrones", "The Thick of It", Speed Racer, and a few other films, would have been a good choice.  I vaguely remember that Peter Fallow was described as being quite pudgy, but I could be wrong about that.  He's certainly described as a borderline alcoholic, like I suspect many British journalists are.

I mostly know Allam from Endeavour. I hadn't considered him for the part of Fallow, but now that you raise the idea, I think he'd have been better than any of the actors I suggested. He even looks a bit like Christopher Hitchens, one of the alleged real life influences behind the character. It's been a few years since I read the book, but I also recall him being described as overweight.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 19:44I think Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street provides a great template as to how that type of balance and tone might be achieved.

It was amusing to hear DiCaprio's character describe himself and his friends as 'Masters of the Universe' in Scorsese's movie. I wasn't sure if that line was an allusion to Wolfe's novel, or if Wolfe was referencing something Jordan Belfort had said in real life. Either way, it just goes to show how prevalent such hubris was amongst the materialistic Wall Street elite.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 17:31On the topic of Rob Zombie and Halloween, yeah, he was an odd choice for director on something like a remake/reboot of Halloween. Speaking of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", I remember Zombie enjoyed alot of goodwill following "The Devils Rejects" which came across as basically Rob Zombie doing his version of "The Texas Chainsaw Masscare Part 2". i.E. Alot more comedic dialogue. Focusing more on the family of killers, a unstable Sheriff out for vengeance due to a relative getting killed by the family, ect.

I mostly remember The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 for Hopper's wonderfully OTT performance ("I am the Lord of the Harvest!!!!") and for introducing me to the music of Oingo Boingo. The choice of 'No One Lives Forever' to score the first murder scene was inspired. But I've never gotten around to watching The Devil's Rejects. I did see House of 1,000 Corpses, but I didn't rate it very highly. Is The Devil's Rejects better?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  3 Apr  2017, 22:14I mostly know Allam from Endeavour. I hadn't considered him for the part of Fallow, but now that you raise the idea, I think he'd have been better than any of the actors I suggested. He even looks a bit like Christopher Hitchens, one of the alleged real life influences behind the character. It's been a few years since I read the book, but I also recall him being described as overweight.
I think you've nailed the primary reason I'd thought of Allam; that he somewhat resembles Christopher Hitchens, who, as you say, seems to be one of the primary inspirations for 'Peter Fallow'.

QuoteIt was amusing to hear DiCaprio's character describe himself and his friends as 'Masters of the Universe' in Scorsese's movie. I wasn't sure if that line was an allusion to Wolfe's novel, or if Wolfe was referencing something Jordan Belfort had said in real life. Either way, it just goes to show how prevalent such hubris was amongst the materialistic Wall Street elite.
Didn't Belfort make his fortune in the 1990s?  In that case it would appear he was referencing the Wolfe novel, or maybe he was going right to the original source of that 'Masters of the Universe' reference (i.e. He-Man ;) ).

It's like the yuppies who went around quoting Wall Street and the "greed is good" speech in the late 80s without an ounce of irony.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  3 Apr  2017, 22:14
I mostly remember The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 for Hopper's wonderfully OTT performance ("I am the Lord of the Harvest!!!!") and for introducing me to the music of Oingo Boingo. The choice of 'No One Lives Forever' to score the first murder scene was inspired. But I've never gotten around to watching The Devil's Rejects. I did see House of 1,000 Corpses, but I didn't rate it very highly. Is The Devil's Rejects better?

Yeah, I would say The Devil's Rejects is the best film Rob Zombie has made thus far. House of a 1,000 Corpses is alright, but Rejects is a much more polished sequel. If/when you ever watch it, I'm sure you will quickly spot the similarities between Rejects and TCM Part 2. I thought William Forsythe did a pretty good job in channeling his inner Dennis Hopper throughout the film, and giving Sid Haig more screen time definitely didn't hurt either.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  3 Apr  2017, 22:50Didn't Belfort make his fortune in the 1990s?

You're right. It's been so long since I saw that movie, for some reason I had it in my head as taking place in the late seventies and early eighties.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  3 Apr  2017, 22:50In that case it would appear he was referencing the Wolfe novel, or maybe he was going right to the original source of that 'Masters of the Universe' reference (i.e. He-Man  ).

Scorsese's film begins in 1987. The Bonfire of the Vanities was first published in 1987. Dolph Lundgren's Masters of the Universe movie came out in 1987. 1987 was the year of He-Man, both on Eternia and Wall Street.

Quote from: The Joker on Mon,  3 Apr  2017, 23:13Yeah, I would say The Devil's Rejects is the best film Rob Zombie has made thus far. House of a 1,000 Corpses is alright, but Rejects is a much more polished sequel. If/when you ever watch it, I'm sure you will quickly spot the similarities between Rejects and TCM Part 2. I thought William Forsythe did a pretty good job in channeling his inner Dennis Hopper throughout the film, and giving Sid Haig more screen time definitely didn't hurt either.

Although I'm not a fan of Zombie in general, I am intrigued to see this particular film. Wasn't there an online campaign to get Bill Moseley an Academy Award nomination when it first came out? I suppose his appearance in both films is another TCM2 connection. I might check it out after all.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  3 Apr  2017, 23:21
Although I'm not a fan of Zombie in general, I am intrigued to see this particular film. Wasn't there an online campaign to get Bill Moseley an Academy Award nomination when it first came out? I suppose his appearance in both films is another TCM2 connection. I might check it out after all.

I am not a big Zombie guy either, and the last film I watched of his was "Lords of Salem" which I didn't particularly care for, but yeah if you have already seen House of a 1,000 Corpses, then you may as well check out Devils Rejects. I don't recall anything with fans wanting to nominate Bill Moseley for an Academy Award lol, but it may just be true.  ;D

Some new TV spots.