Justice League Promotion

Started by The Joker, Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wayne49 on Thu,  9 Nov  2017, 11:01
Plenty of good vibes coming from people who saw the screening of this film. I think for the first time since they started building this DC universe, I feel at least hopeful that something good will come from this.
I'm happy to hear that. It's not surprising to see the cast members throw BvS under the bus - Cavill said BvS was a "niche". Even though I think BvS is a masterpiece...this is business. Reality is the film got savaged by dumb critics, and the studio shot themselves in the foot by not release the ultimate edition in the first place. This is 1992 all over again. Like Batman Returns, we will likely never see something like BvS for a long time, with the tone lightening up in a way similar to Batman Forever...which still had elements of darkness. Not necessarily a complaint, but an observation.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu,  9 Nov  2017, 22:11
He simply...pushed Captain Cold, and then ran away.
Yep. Works for me. Running into somebody (which is what SS shows) isn't combat. The guy doesn't know how to punch and kick his way through enemies. The CCTV footage in BvS shows he uses his speed to push people and that's it.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  9 Nov  2017, 21:25
And assuming Superman does return in JL, that would imply that Suicide Squad does indeed take place between BvS and JL
When was that ever up for debate?

They talk about Superman's death in the film - it's the reason why they establish the Squad. We see a man selling Superman memoriam t-shirts. The post-credit scene has Bruce talking to Waller, getting ready to locate the League members.

Fri, 10 Nov 2017, 06:52 #171 Last Edit: Fri, 10 Nov 2017, 06:59 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 10 Nov  2017, 00:49I'm happy to hear that. It's not surprising to see the cast members throw BvS under the bus - Cavill said BvS was a "niche". Even though I think BvS is a masterpiece...this is business. Reality is the film got savaged by dumb critics, and the studio shot themselves in the foot by not release the ultimate edition in the first place. This is 1992 all over again. Like Batman Returns, we will likely never see something like BvS for a long time, with the tone lightening up in a way similar to Batman Forever...which still had elements of darkness. Not necessarily a complaint, but an observation.
Except Batman Returns was good. These statements about how dumb people are who criticize this movie are silly. I heard somebody say this about Avengers: Age Of Ultron once: If your superhero movie needs to be 3 hours to be good, the movie isn't good in general, essentially, I think. It's as true for that as it is for this. Not that AOU or BvS were good with 3 hour cuts regardless. The movie needed to cut out the needless nonsense, not add excuses. As for this movie, we'll see, the trailers are cool, but then again the trailer for MOS made me tear up, the BvS trailer got me hyped and the SS one got me excited and the onyl trailer I didn't like was WW, which was the better movie of them all, so it's still up in the air. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 10 Nov  2017, 00:49

I'm happy to hear that. It's not surprising to see the cast members throw BvS under the bus - Cavill said BvS was a "niche". Even though I think BvS is a masterpiece...this is business. Reality is the film got savaged by dumb critics, and the studio shot themselves in the foot by not release the ultimate edition in the first place. This is 1992 all over again. Like Batman Returns, we will likely never see something like BvS for a long time, with the tone lightening up in a way similar to Batman Forever...which still had elements of darkness. Not necessarily a complaint, but an observation.

I think that pretty well sums it up. And I completely get why some really like BVS. I understand the film is a kind of "coming of age" for Batman where he has to face his demons or be destroyed by them. But, FOR ME, it just blurred the lines a bit more than I like to see with Batman in terms of his general state of mind and the films insistence in keeping the mood incredibly grim. It felt like Rob Zombie had invaded the DC Universe. I could see Batman, but I could never feel him. For me, he was pushed too far to the edge to come back so quickly at the end. But its a theme that has been examined extensively in graphic novels and comics, so I completely understand why some really liked that departure. It just wasn't for me.

It's nice to see optimism returning to the brand. At least that's what the trailers are pushing. I just hope they do evolve Barry into a more contained and assured hero near the end. His story responsibilities (from the trailers) seem to feel more like comic relief than real character evolution. If I'm being honest, he really seems to be getting the Peter Parker treatment as that character is stylized by Marvel right now. He's got all this ability and intelligence but no direction. So Bruce Wayne plays that Stark role of being his mentor and grooming him to the finer aspects of being a hero. At least that is the vibe I get from the trailers.

We're about to get the social media embargo lifted in about an hour, so you'll start to hear from critics. The actual review embargo is still set for Tuesday, but we'll start to hear reactions soon.

Fri, 10 Nov 2017, 17:22 #175 Last Edit: Fri, 10 Nov 2017, 17:34 by Travesty
It seems to be getting positive reactions. Granted, it's still early, but so far, so good.

Here are some tweets:

@Mike Rougeau:
Wonder Woman is wonderful, Aquaman is surprisingly cool, Flash is hilarious, Batman is drunk, the story is coherent, and it's all surprisingly funny. It's not perfect, but really enjoyable!

@ErikDavis:
I think if you are going to a #JusticeLeague movie to see all your favorite DC heroes rocking their skills & being the badasses you love, then you will get plenty of that. Lots of action. Lots of superheroes being superheroes.

@Terri Schwartz:
I am genuinely happy to report #JusticeLeague is a lot of fun. It's not perfect and has its problems, but does the job of making you care about these characters as a team by its end. It's also VERY funny, in lots of unexpected ways.

@_Winter_wind
Justice League is my fave film followed by Mos. You v much feel @ZackSnyder hand, vibe. It's absolutely joyful. You'll love it and I say it again Ezra Miller is a delight

@MikeKalinowski
They did it???? Justice League is wonderful. Heartfelt, funny, but with high stakes and consequences. They address and fix many peoples issues with BvS, but in ways it helps the story and characters. So many surprises you all have no idea about.

@markhughesfilms
#JusticeLeague was good & very fun. It's going to be popular w/audiences, not only fans but mainstream viewers & families.

@DCrowsNest
Unlike that movie, the heroes are genuinely likable and seeing them interact is a joy. The entire #JusticeLeague cast is on point, with Affleck really growing much more comfortable in the cowl this time.

@Paul Shirey:
#JusticeLeague is a fun, bumpy ride that succeeds in character, but fails in narrative. It's a mixed bag of execution that's saved by the actors, who rise above the shortcomings to deliver an engaging, funny and hopeful, yet flawed, entry to the DCEU.

@Chris Sylvia:
#JusticeLeague is a blast from start to finish. Pure visual comic book fun

@Aaron Sagers:
SO I saw #JusticeLeague -twice. Still under embargo, but: This is a fun superhero flick. Funny but still hero adventure. Reminds me of JL Unlimited ep. Likable interaction amongst recognizable heroes. There is a villain problem (no worse than Marvel's)
And yeah, I really liked #Aquaman in this (didn't expect to). Enjoyed Affleck's #Batman. Of course Gal's #WonderWoman is great, and Ezra's #TheFlash is a winner. I'm a fan. And I like messages of hope. I'll see it a third time #JusticeLeague -

@arcticninjapaul
#JusticeLeague is a fun, bumpy ride that succeeds in character, but fails in narrative. It's a mixed bag of execution that's saved by the actors, who rise above the shortcomings to deliver an engaging, funny and hopeful, yet flawed, entry to the DCEU. Oh, and yes, The Flash steals the movie @joblocom

@GermainLussier
JUSTICE LEAGUE! It's okay. Narratively it's a mess, the stakes don't work & the villain isn't great. HOWEVER, the heroes ARE great, it's funny, & there's some surprisingly effective character work. I didn't love it, but there are enough good pieces to excite me for the future.

@KevinMcCarthyTV
Bottom line: JUSTICE LEAGUE is awesome!
ZACK SNYDER's film is filled with so many moments that had me geeking out and crying nerd tears. When an action scene/hero moment hits, the film is firing on all cylinders.
Still love Affleck's BATMAN. My fav Batman actor since Keaton.

@ErikDavis
#JusticeLeague is better than BvS and #SuicideSquad - it's lean, mean & packed w/ superhero action. I dug most of its lighter moments & I think it has one of the best action sequences ever in a DCEU movie. And of course Wonder Woman steals the show.

Batman & Robin inspired JL poster

DC Rebirth in DCEU style

& last but not least

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 10 Nov  2017, 17:22
It seems to be getting positive reactions. Granted, it's still early, but so far, so good.
Thanks for collating these reactions. They're basically a dream come true for DC fans. The fact WB made such a big deal about the tone being more fun meant they weren't going to drop the ball on that front.

So, the ever worthless Rotten Tomatoes is delaying the aggregate score for JL, and even appeared to have a countdown for when the score will be revealed.

Source: https://screenrant.com/justice-league-rotten-tomatoes-score-delayed/

I occur these sentiments from somebody who is a DCEU detractor, ironically:

This is very, very worrying and sets a dangerous precedent. Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator - this sees them buy into the misread hype around their Tomatometer and try and become an actual critical outlet themselves.  :(
https://twitter.com/ADLeadbeater/status/930229943283351553

Quote from: ADLeadbeater
Quote from: Rotten Tomatoes
Fans vs Critics - who do you side with when it comes to #BatmanVSuperman
Can you f***ing not? You've already damaged film discourse, now you're trying to actually foster the divide?

https://twitter.com/ADLeadbeater/status/930104663076167681
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uD42ToLHwE

Saw #JusticeLeague yesterday, here's my special 'THE JOKER' review (no spoilers; featuring JARED LETO!). #JaredLeto #Joker #NoSpoilers

You can ask me anything you want.