Justice League Promotion

Started by The Joker, Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: riddler on Wed, 11 Oct  2017, 03:26I think the best case scenario is that should Justice League be a success, that will get the critics off Snyder's back and even retroactively making BvS a better film once the next piece of the puzzle is revealed. I don't see why he can't return some day.
The guy has been working non-stop since, what, 2003? He's gone straight from one movie to another for a long time now.

But aside from the workload... honestly, there's only so much anybody can take. The Internet broke George Lucas. He scraped together every dime he had to his name to make Episode I. He risked everything on making a movie that he wanted people to love. And calling him a rapist was arguably the first Internet meme.

People can love or hate the Star Wars prequels. But looking back at it, it's tough to argue that he didn't get abused. When news came out that he was selling Lucasfilm, I couldn't blame him. Seriously, who needs the grief? He said more than once that he would've created 7, 8 and 9 himself... but why should be put himself out there as a target? He was legally obligated to release Episodes II and III but I think he finished the series with a bad taste in his mouth.

To go back to Snyder, the guy has gotten dogged harder and harder with every movie he's released. "Sticks and stone may break my bones but words can never hurt me" was probably coined by someone surrounded by gushing admirers. I don't know if Snyder has gotten it quite as bad as George Lucas but he's gotten a pretty bad deal. And all because he wanted to make movies that entertain people.

Like I said here or in some other thread, I wouldn't be surprised if his child's death isn't a convenient excuse for walking away from all the abuse. And I wouldn't blame him either.

Snyder's work has been discussed on this page. But the differences are (A) he's gotten treated pretty well here mostly because a lot of us have enjoyed his work (B) the discussion is limited only to the man's work rather than calling his maternal ancestry, personal hygiene and likely destination in the afterlife into question and (C) the gripes people have brought up are nothing personal and mostly are totally valid.

Anyway.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 11 Oct  2017, 23:38
People can love or hate the Star Wars prequels. But looking back at it, it's tough to argue that he didn't get abused. When news came out that he was selling Lucasfilm, I couldn't blame him. Seriously, who needs the grief? He said more than once that he would've created 7, 8 and 9 himself... but why should be put himself out there as a target? He was legally obligated to release Episodes II and III but I think he finished the series with a bad taste in his mouth.
The Phantom Menace gets way too much hate. It's a fun adventure film that introduced new worlds, new vehicles, new characters and had exciting and innovative action. Compare that to The Force Awakens. Lucas' 1999 film was familiar but different, and I like that approach. Revenge of the Sith could easily be my favorite film in the saga. It's the crux of everything. It's the most complex, most emotional and most traumatic chapter....hands down. Attack of the Clones is the prequel film that I don't really connect with. But again, in comparison to The Force Awakens, Lucas did new things and had rather interesting galactic scheming/politics lingering in the background. Nothing is going to touch the original trilogy for me, but the prequels just aren't deserving of the backlash. They're underrated.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 12 Oct  2017, 09:10
The Phantom Menace gets way too much hate. It's a fun adventure film that introduced new worlds, new vehicles, new characters and had exciting and innovative action. Compare that to The Force Awakens. Lucas' 1999 film was familiar but different, and I like that approach. Revenge of the Sith could easily be my favorite film in the saga. It's the crux of everything. It's the most complex, most emotional and most traumatic chapter....hands down. Attack of the Clones is the prequel film that I don't really connect with. But again, in comparison to The Force Awakens, Lucas did new things and had rather interesting galactic scheming/politics lingering in the background. Nothing is going to touch the original trilogy for me, but the prequels just aren't deserving of the backlash. They're underrated.

QFT

Quote from: riddler on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 14:23
I feel bad for people like the extreme Nolan fans, Marvel fans, Bale fans, or Snyder who are going into this film hoping for it to fail. That shows a lot of hate to root for a movie to fail. If you don't like what they're doing, don't watch but I just don't get people who follow a film's development rooting for failure every step of the way.  If you think a film is going to be awful then the solution is simple- don't watch. Instead some people take it upon themselves to be anti-marketing campaigns towards a film.

Out of all the groups you listed, the one that have profoundly disappointed me most are the Marvel fanboys. I thought the Nolanites were unique in their blind, rabid fandom. But the last year and a half have taught me Marvel have their share as well. Sadly, I've come to realise when it comes to groups, comic book fans are brainless sheep. Childish, arrogant, and always needing to cling onto critical reception for validation. And I really despise this Marvel vs DC attitude people have, and the media certainly influences it. This isn't team sport, people.

The guy has been working non-stop since, what, 2003? He's gone straight from one movie to another for a long time now.

But aside from the workload... honestly, there's only so much anybody can take. The Internet broke George Lucas. He scraped together every dime he had to his name to make Episode I. He risked everything on making a movie that he wanted people to love. And calling him a rapist was arguably the first Internet meme.

George Lucas getting called a rapist is certainly terrible. But do I need to remind you how a lot of people took pleasure over the news that Zack Snyder decided to step down from finishing Justice League because of his daughter's death? Whether they're nobodies, so-called "professional" critics, scumbag bottom-feeding bloggers, or even comic personalities (looking at you Gerry Conway), it's shows a remarkable lack of morality and human decency. All because they were upset over something as innocuous as a movie. These people have no souls.

The worst thing is Snyder knew that people on the internet were going to spread gossip about him leaving had to do with the supposed quality of the film. That's why he tried to keep working and not make the tragedy public, until he could no longer bear with it any more.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 14:05 #135 Last Edit: Thu, 12 Oct 2017, 14:08 by The Laughing Fish
I saw this. The Hilarie Burton thing happened back in 2003, when Affleck's behaviour was much more notorious back in those days.

Here's the footage here, with Burton herself appeared to laugh about the thing in a snippet from an interview. What's strange to me is how pretty candid it is. You can't even see if he's actually groping her in that footage (fun fact: Burton is romantically involved with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who played Thomas Wayne in BvS).

https://youtu.be/Ajkv9plK6-E

This sounds like a storm in a teacup. That other accusation on Twitter, on the other hand...well, either she's telling the truth and she wants to put Affleck back in his place for his condemnation of the Weinstein scandal, or she's lying for attention.

Another interview from thirteen years ago was used as an example, but the presenter Anne-Marie Lisoque claims this is being taken out of context.
http://epicstream.com/news/TV-Host-Says-Her-Interview-With-Ben-Affleck-Is-Being-Taken-Out-Of-Context

Apart from that one Twitter claim, I don't see much that's going on here. I think it's a little premature to assume it's 'a PR disaster' for JL. Unless there are much more serious allegations against Affleck with substance behind them, I'm not exactly too worried.

Besides, given that Breitbart has a negative reputation, I find their credibility to be dubious on reporting this. But then again, WHO can you trust in today's media?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I guess the lasting affect is how much discourse bubbles up from other actresses. If more continue to come out, then clearly there is an underlying resentment that paints a picture none too flattering. I think if the damage stays with these two individuals then this may be a non-story in five weeks. The other factor is how well this movie registers with critics. If it gets bad reviews then it becomes human nature to pile on, which means the allegations will creep into the final analysis. If the reviews are good, then perhaps that will soften this story and all of this will fall by the wayside. Too early to know how all of this will play, but it goes without saying, the WB brass can not be enjoying the distraction with the massive promotion they have invested in this. Allot riding on this movie.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 12 Oct  2017, 11:11
Quote from: riddler on Tue, 10 Oct  2017, 14:23
I feel bad for people like the extreme Nolan fans, Marvel fans, Bale fans, or Snyder who are going into this film hoping for it to fail. That shows a lot of hate to root for a movie to fail. If you don't like what they're doing, don't watch but I just don't get people who follow a film's development rooting for failure every step of the way.  If you think a film is going to be awful then the solution is simple- don't watch. Instead some people take it upon themselves to be anti-marketing campaigns towards a film.

Out of all the groups you listed, the one that have profoundly disappointed me most are the Marvel fanboys. I thought the Nolanites were unique in their blind, rabid fandom. But the last year and a half have taught me Marvel have their share as well. Sadly, I've come to realise when it comes to groups, comic book fans are brainless sheep. Childish, arrogant, and always needing to cling onto critical reception for validation. And I really despise this Marvel vs DC attitude people have, and the media certainly influences it. This isn't team sport, people.

[

The worst thing is Snyder knew that people on the internet were going to spread gossip about him leaving had to do with the supposed quality of the film. That's why he tried to keep working and not make the tragedy public, until he could no longer bear with it any more.

I should clarify too, the last group I listed, I meant to write Snyder HATERS. I hate the Marvel vs. DC debates. No matter how you slice it, Marvel and DC are far more similar to each other than people care to admit, just look at some of the big names who have worked for both companies. Stan Lee and Bob Kane were such great fans, they rode in the same limo to the premier of Batman 89, they didn't feel the need to trash the other side. There's extreme groups on both sides, DC isn't immune to rabid fan boys either, I've read quite a bit of nonsense from that camp as to why the Avengers was an awful film. Even the Burton/Keaton bat-fans have our share of rotten eggs. Sure the Nolan side is infinitely worse but our side has our faults too. The reality is anyone can be objective and anyone can be biased.

Speaking of Nolanites, if you are wondering if they gave up on manipulating IMDB ratings once the message boards got shut down, it looks like no. Dunkirk currently has 224 thousand total votes good for #89 on the IMDB. Lawrence of Arabia which sits 5 spots higher and has been out for 55 years has fewer total votes than Dunkirk which hasn't even hit home video yet.

comic wise DC has been kicking the crap out of Marvel this decade. On the big screen Marvel is dominating, and on TV they are about equal. But you have to acknowledge, both sides push each other to be better. I see DC fans hoping Marvel comics goes bankrupt, that is a foolish thing to wish for because it will mean a drop in quality for DC comics too.You're right, it does almost feel like a sports debate sometimes the way some people blindly defend /criticize. These are the people that have their votes of either 1 or 10 lined up and ready to go

The way Affleck tells it, his hands wandered a little too much but that died out relatively quickly. My view is people really should keep their hands to themselves but it isn't like Affleck is guilty of, say, Harvey Weinstein or Bryan Singer's types of perversion.

Now with the floodgates opening in Hollywood, much of their sanctimonious bullsh*t of having the moral high ground, and preaching in what's politically 'right' and 'wrong' has been unequivocally exposed as the farce it always has been.

With Affleck, the video bothers me about as much as the Trump Access Hollywood Tape. Which is not very much at all. Considering his history,  thinking Affleck's probably gone out more than once acting like the guy from Fashionable Male looking for some touch and grab isn't really too difficult to imagine. In this case, I'm sure the hyper disavowing from Hollywood will be at a minimum. His heart was in the right place even though his hands weren't.

At this point I kind of wish Harvey Weinstein would just be like, "Screw it" and write a tell all book with all the gory details about his decades in the business, including a full list of all the actresses he's had on the 'casting couch' (boy that phrase has been normalized over the years hasn't it? Even Hollywood, during their patting themselves on the back ceremonies make jokes about it) and gave roles to in return. Talk about one hell of a blow to the culture war. If anything, it would surely cement his legacy as the GOAT Hollywood scumbag. Perhaps even Bill Clinton looks at Weinstein and thinks, "G*ddamn, that's one sleazy son of a b*tch."

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."