Justice League Promotion

Started by The Joker, Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 02:20I don't think there's such a thing as being the 'bigger man'. Being the 'bigger man' means you get walked over. You hold your tongue and the slobs mouth off while you say nothing. Nah. Punching back is the way to go. The anti-DCEU crowd can go to hell.
This. But unfortunately Snyder is in the business of cultivating public opinion and selling tickets. If he speaks his mind, some dippy online tabloid will call it a "celebrity meltdown". Heads he loses, tails he loses.

I try not to pity millionaires... but what Snyder has been put through really is over the line.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 03:14
If he speaks his mind, some dippy online tabloid will call it a "celebrity meltdown". Heads he loses, tails he loses.
Yep. Whenever someone lays it all out and goes against the 'accepted' agenda, their comments are called a 'rant', 'bizarre' and 'unhinged'. Always. But if the comments conform to the safe company line, they're praised as courageous, bold and fearless. Screw em.

I said before I wouldn't watch any more footage after the second trailer, and I stand by it. I've seen Clark Kent in the screenshots but no more. I plan to watch the film next month without seeing any footage I haven't seen before. I wish we could go back to the days of only showing one trailer for a movie before it comes out.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 02:20
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 01:04
The more I think about it, the more I can't help thinking that Snyder might've left because of his child's death... but the decision to leave was that much easier precisely because the "fans" have been such a-holes.
There's such a hateful tone against the DCEU. The narrative is that Wonder Woman is the only decent film in the franchise, MoS was disappointing and BvS a train-wreck. The haters can't get over their anti Zack Snyder bias, nor can they get over the fact DC didn't copy Marvel's exact template before creating a Justice League film. These people don't want the DC films to be a success for those two core reasons. Along with the fact Nolan lovers want to tear down his immediate replacement. I don't think there's such a thing as being the 'bigger man'. Being the 'bigger man' means you get walked over. You hold your tongue and the slobs mouth off while you say nothing. Nah. Punching back is the way to go. The anti-DCEU crowd can go to hell.

The doubling down by the media, both mainstream and geek, for their condemnation of Zack Snyder following BvS's release definitely reached a breaking point of unreasonable proportions. When it comes to comparing the DCEU to the MCU or hating the dark tone of Snyder's first two films but giving Nolan a pass, I get the impression there is some massive groupthink going on there. 

But that looks absolutely innocent compared to the immoral behaviour by a lot of these bloggers. What disgusted me the most was some of the slander written on Twitter i.e. making baseless accusations that Snyder is a misogynist, hating his mother etc. Not because of any proof, but because they didn't like his movies.

Well, the irony is sweet because lately, dozens of women have been coming forward by accusing AND exposing people in the geek community like Devin Faraci, Harry Knowles and Andy Signore (Honest Trailers creator) for being perverts. Strangely, a lot of these loud Snyder detractors have been very silent when it came to true misogynistic behaviour by their fellow colleagues. It's an utter disgrace.

If I didn't know better, I'd be sure there's a correlation between the lack of professionalism here, and the way the so-called 'fans' have carried on. In any case, Snyder is being the bigger man by not lashing out at these people.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Zack Snyder is my favorite director. He's the comic book GOAT in terms of adapting icons and capturing mood. If anyone isn't on board with that idea they're dead to me - I have no time for their crap. The fact he gets such hate thrown his way only serves to strengthen my support and appreciation for this under appreciated  talent. Don't be afraid of being outnumbered. A lion walks alone while the sheep flock together. I'm hoping Zack attends the premiere and gets a round of applause.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon,  9 Oct  2017, 10:22Well, the irony is sweet because lately, dozens of women have been coming forward by accusing AND exposing people in the geek community like Devin Faraci, Harry Knowles and Andy Signore (Honest Trailers creator) for being perverts. Strangely, a lot of these loud Snyder detractors have been very silent when it came to true misogynistic behaviour by their fellow colleagues. It's an utter disgrace.
I hadn't heard about Knowles. Did a Google search and found that Variety article about him. To be fair, I never had much respect for him in the first place. And it's always bugged TF out of me that he's been the de facto face of "Internet fandom" for over twenty years.

It bugs me even more now that he's apparently some kind of sicko.

Still, we can be grateful that a light is being shined on this stuff now. It looks like more celebrities and stars are speaking out against Harvey Weinstein. But let's cut the crap, (A) he'll get away with it and (B) he's just the tip of the iceberg anyway in Hollyweird. All the major studios would be forced to close their doors if the LAPD donut-eaters ever get off their butts and arrest every rapist, groper and child-molester in the business.

I wouldn't call myself a Snyder fan. 300 is just not my cup of tea and I didn't like Watchmen. I felt Man of Steel was a let down and while I enjoyed BvS, I feel it could have gone better. But I am absolutely ashamed reading some of these awful rumours people are stating in the wake of his family tragedy. Full respects for Snyder for walking away and not firing back like Paul Feig did with it's Girlbusters.

I feel bad for people like the extreme Nolan fans, Marvel fans, Bale fans, or Snyder who are going into this film hoping for it to fail. That shows a lot of hate to root for a movie to fail. If you don't like what they're doing, don't watch but I just don't get people who follow a film's development rooting for failure every step of the way.  If you think a film is going to be awful then the solution is simple- don't watch. Instead some people take it upon themselves to be anti-marketing campaigns towards a film.

I'm actually glad the IMDB boards aren't up and running, I could only imagine the nonsense that would be written about Snyder.

With respect to the DCEU, this is huge for them. There is a notion that Wonder Woman turning out to be so successful is a bad thing for the DCEU as it sets the bar too high. To me that depends if it can be attained or not. WB has a blueprint of their own on how to make a successful superhero film without following Nolan's rules of making everything grounded  and humourless. I think it's obvious from the trailers that there is no more "No humour rule", compared to Man of Steel which gave us a grant total of ONE reason to laugh (the female soldier calling Supes hot). That's what I'm most excited about, DC is finally getting back to fun and letting loose.

I couldn't stomach 300... but maybe if I watched it today I'd like it better.

But otherwise I dig Snyder's work. Dawn of the Dead is a remake if you want it to be or a parallel story. Watchmen is a masterpiece. Sucker Punch subverts its own concept while at the same time indulging in. Good fun! MOS was a breath of fresh air. BVS was Super Friends by way of Wagner. I haven't seen the rest of his stuff though.

But still, the guy is a great talent.

300 is a fun movie. If the weak can't stomach that level of awesome, that's a shame. It's a slideshow of great visuals, dark humor and visceral action. I recommend a rewatch. The sequel did have Eva Green, but apart from that, it didn't stack up to the original. But the real star of his resume is Watchmen. I think it's his best film overall these days. I dismissed it years ago for whatever reason, but I was wrong to do so. Love it.

Snyder's filmography is pretty fantastic, and yeah, Watchmen is awesome! Not only did Snyder adapt a highly praised story into a time-condensed movie (with alot of naysayers proclaiming it couldn't be done), but also succeeded in the film being a worthy cinematic adaption at that. The guy's got talent.

I hope to see Snyder return to the DCEU someday. For purely selfish reasons of course. I enjoy the guy's work, and his zest for the material is abundantly clear. Even if it's way down the line, and in a less high profile/self contained story. Given his works on the Dawn of the Dead remake, and 300, I'm sure something like a Snyder-helmed Lobo movie would be one hell of a fun ride.

Speaking of Eva Green, she needs to be in Wonder Woman 2 with Gal. This needs to happen. Cheetah, or Circe. The choice is hers. Just make it happen WB.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I think the best case scenario is that should Justice League be a success, that will get the critics off Snyder's back and even retroactively making BvS a better film once the next piece of the puzzle is revealed. I don't see why he can't return some day.