Justice League Promotion

Started by The Joker, Fri, 24 Mar 2017, 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 18 Apr  2017, 09:20It's not the best poster, but it gets the job done. I'm assuming they're looking off into the distance at Superman.

I'd probably like it more if they removed the text, or made it smaller at the bottom.
It's a very mobile phone-friendly poster. Considering how many people watch these movies on phones now, it's reasonable to assume that big garish lettering like that is where things are going in the future. Civil War is probably a more useful signpost of where cinema is headed right now than BVS... which I'm not happy about but which I accept nevertheless.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 18 Apr  2017, 20:19
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 18 Apr  2017, 09:20It's not the best poster, but it gets the job done. I'm assuming they're looking off into the distance at Superman.

I'd probably like it more if they removed the text, or made it smaller at the bottom.
It's a very mobile phone-friendly poster. Considering how many people watch these movies on phones now, it's reasonable to assume that big garish lettering like that is where things are going in the future. Civil War is probably a more useful signpost of where cinema is headed right now than BVS... which I'm not happy about but which I accept nevertheless.

And here I thought the big lettering for locations in CW was for artistic expression. 😐
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 19 Apr  2017, 02:50And here I thought the big lettering for locations in CW was for artistic expression. 😐
Stuff like that passes through six or seven layers of bureaucracy, not least of which is focus groups. I find it hard to believe that the giant letters are so easy to read on mobile devices to be a coincidence.

On the other hand, it's not like I know everything. If my life and career are anything to judge by, it's usually a big mistake for me to assume competence of anybody I don't know. And I don't know anybody involved with Civil War. So what I assume is forward-thinking on their part could very easily be the director(s) pulling a Homer.

You're probably right there.

Generally speaking, I'm excited about JL. I'm all about feel good redemption arcs these days. I just love it.

I had some hope for TDK Rises for this reason, even though Nolan wasn't my cup of tea. Nolan built up Bane's threat well. Almost too well. Bane ruled Gotham like no one else ever has in live action. The problem for me is the fact Batman didn't completely kick the mumbling gas mask wearer's ass to the curb. The ass whipping needs to be completely satisfying to me. That short fight at the end with Bane (in which Batman just about has his head shot off moments later) just didn't make up for that sewer thrashing and lengthy prison stint.

I'm willing to have Superman return in the last act if his return delivers spine tingling goods. I'm talking about finding out Steppenwolf rules over Earth, kicking down doors and shouting out "over my dead body!" I'm talking about heat visioning Parademons into ash, punching foes into space and then receiving a worldwide round of applause. Honestly, I wouldn't rule out something like this with Snyder. He's well and truly aware people think he hates the character so he may double whatever he already had planned in the first place.

Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 12:00 #54 Last Edit: Wed, 19 Apr 2017, 12:06 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 19 Apr  2017, 10:24
I'm willing to have Superman return in the last act if his return delivers spine tingling goods. I'm talking about finding out Steppenwolf rules over Earth, kicking down doors and shouting out "over my dead body!" I'm talking about heat visioning Parademons into ash, punching foes into space and then receiving a worldwide round of applause. Honestly, I wouldn't rule out something like this with Snyder. He's well and truly aware people think he hates the character so he may double whatever he already had planned in the first place.

That would be awesome, but the issue is assholes would whine about Superman killing Parademons. The Parademons could fornicate people in a disgusting display of perversion like in the ending of Fellini's Satyricon...and the only thing idiots would only care about is Superman killing aliens.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I can't remember if that reference was in Satyricon, or directed by Federico Fellini...might've been Pier Paolo Pasolini for some other movie instead...but anyway, my point is people would get more outraged is Superman is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, haha.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

My view is Superman shouldn't kill if he doesn't need to. But in cases like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, he basically had no choice. A threat that dangerous and violent is existential. It's stupid to think Superman shouldn't take life in those kinds of situations.

For purposes of discussion, I believe that can be extended to the forces of Apokolips. They're a threat to the entire planet. And there's no guarantee that Superman will always be able (or available) to defeat them. Shutting them down permanently while he still can is a morally permissible act if you ask me.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 19 Apr  2017, 18:13
My view is Superman shouldn't kill if he doesn't need to. But in cases like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, he basically had no choice. A threat that dangerous and violent is existential. It's stupid to think Superman shouldn't take life in those kinds of situations.
Agreed.

For Batman, B89 is my template. Punks are put down with martial arts - there's no need to kill these guys. However goons firing on the pubic should be dispatched, with lethal force if necessary, because the situation is far too great. Batman is a human and his options are limited.

With Superman, criminals robbing banks don't need to be killed either. Arrest them and move on to the next threat. Goons firing on the public don't really *need* to be killed. Superman can just fly in, take them away and the situation is over in seconds - that's the point of intervening in the first place. Lethal force for Superman is required when the situation is just far too great to ignore, eg. Zod on a rampage.

Humanizing alien creatures like Parademons is where I draw the line too. They're in town for one reason and one reason only. To kill and take over NOW. And they're not going to stop until they achieve that goal. So Parademons are fair game.

Superman is a public relations character as much as anything. Throwing his weight around for minor threats isn't really going to get him much praise. I think it would just scare the people, especially those who complain about police brutality and excessive force. A character like Batman doesn't need to care about this stuff, but Superman is a little different. The public want to know Superman is a good man and will be there to protect them appropriately. He should use his power level according to the threat he faces at the time.

True. And the thing is Superman killed Doomsday during their battle. Now yeah, Doomsday came back from the dead. But that was all invented later on. In the moment, Doomsday was DEAD. And that's because Superman killed him.

And yet, nobody seemed to have a problem with that when they honestly believed Doomsday was never coming back.

And that's because Superman responded appropriately to the danger of the situation.

Some additional thoughts about that. I'm not religious, but in religion there's the concept of angels and demons. Demons are pure evil entities that have no wiggle room for redemption. If a house is haunted, people usually call in a psychic. They just want whatever is making their life hell out of there like the day before yesterday. Doomsday classifies as such an entity. He's nothing but a monster who wants to kill and destroy. Nobody is going to mourn his death. The same case could also be made of Zod, Brainiac and the other heavyweights. If your life is directly threatened by something, you just want it the hell out.

Looks like Supes anticipating Hal Jordan's appearance soon ....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."