Congratulations to Batman v Superman

Started by johnnygobbs, Sun, 26 Feb 2017, 08:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 21 Mar  2017, 13:54
It's when somebody becomes an obnoxious Chris Evans or a raving Madonna who dreams of blowing up the White House. Or if the product they star in comes with a not so subtle SJW/anti conservative message. That's the real issue I have. You're not going to like absolutely everything about someone. That's impossible. But it's the tone they strike that matters.

A couple of days ago, I started to uphold this stance against Mark Waid because I was totally disgusted with his conduct on Twitter, where he slanders people for having different views i.e. blocking somebody and calling that person a misogynist because he had The Killing Joke poster on his wall, and being completely ignorant about topics he knows nothing about (hint: look up "Mark Waid GamerGate" on Google).

By the way, Waid currently works for Marvel, so he must be one of those people who are ruining comics with misguided social justice propaganda. Whatever, he deserves no attention from me.

Gerry Conway is the same. I've lost respect for the man when he went on a tirade about Snyder because of BvS, tweeting how he should go f*** himself because he hated BvS. How pathetic, unprofessional and small can you get? But then again, Conway did spit the dummy because DC Comics weren't paying him royalties, so his resentment might have something to do with that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 22 Mar  2017, 11:27A couple of days ago, I started to uphold this stance against Mark Waid because I was totally disgusted with his conduct on Twitter, where he slanders people for having different views i.e. blocking somebody and calling that person a misogynist because he had The Killing Joke poster on his wall, and being completely ignorant about topics he knows nothing about (hint: look up "Mark Waid GamerGate" on Google).

By the way, Waid currently works for Marvel, so he must be one of those people who are ruining comics with misguided social justice propaganda. Whatever, he deserves no attention from me.
I've pretty much avoided Mark Waid interviews for the last few years just because things have gotten so polarized and he's so famously outspoken on his liberal causes that I didn't have the heart to read any of it. His work has meant so much to me over the years and I would hate to add him to my Boycott List. So I'm trying to protect against that by avoiding his Twitter and any interviews he gives but, man, he doesn't make it too easy.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 22 Mar  2017, 11:27Gerry Conway is the same. I've lost respect for the man when he went on a tirade about Snyder because of BvS, tweeting how he should go f*** himself because he hated BvS. How pathetic, unprofessional and small can you get? But then again, Conway did spit the dummy because DC Comics weren't paying him royalties, so his resentment might have something to do with that.
I've always thought that vitriol like that is on a different order when it comes from one professional to another. I mean, it's one thing for us to criticize, I dunno, the Russo brothers for Civil War, for example. But it would be different if a comic writer or a screenwriter or some other pro did it. And I would say it's worse, if anything.

It's really hard to be creative and pour your soul into something only for people to attack it and to attack you on personal levels. "This is the worst, most amateurish clusterf**k I've ever seen, and I was on the set of Showgirls for god's sake! The director of this movie obviously was abused as a child if he thought this movie was any good and he should be launched into the sun as payment for his sins. If he had any self-respect whatsoever, he'd kill himself as penance for making this movie!" I mean, that stuff cuts deep, y'all.

While exempting myself from nothing, I don't expect anonymous Internet commenters to understand how hurtful that stuff can be but pros like Conway should know better. "Eh, it wasn't for me but I hope you guys all have fun at the movie!" or something equally diplomatic should be as bad as they get to one another, if you ask me. Zack Snyder was called everything in the book for making BVS. Love or hate BVS, all the guy wanted to do was make a movie. Let's try keeping it in perspective here, Gerry Conway.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 22 Mar  2017, 16:14
While exempting myself from nothing, I don't expect anonymous Internet commenters to understand how hurtful that stuff can be but pros like Conway should know better. "Eh, it wasn't for me but I hope you guys all have fun at the movie!" or something equally diplomatic should be as bad as they get to one another, if you ask me. Zack Snyder was called everything in the book for making BVS. Love or hate BVS, all the guy wanted to do was make a movie. Let's try keeping it in perspective here, Gerry Conway.

In light of the Snyder family going through this terrible time right now, I'd like to know if that piece of sh*t Gerry Conway feels in any way remorseful for those comments? Same goes for that c*** Rotten Tomatoes editor-in-chief Matt Atchity about the entire cast and crew should punch themselves in the face over BvS.

Sadly, I doubt very much these disgusting pigs have any conscience.  f*** all of these pathetic lowlife scumbags to hell. Utter c***s.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I don't suppose those critics of Zack Snyder were aware of the family trauma he was going through, or about to go through, when they made those comments.

Nevertheless, that does, if anything, underline the importance of us all demonstrating more perspective and civility when we discuss what is, in essence, simply entertainment, made with all the best intentions in the world.  Although I don't think I've ever made any seriously personalised comments about Snyder with respect to BvS, I do feel some guilt and remorse for some of the more hyperbolic criticisms I made.

For what it's worth, I have now seen BvS, and whilst many of my pre-screening criticisms stand, I also found it to be a far more enjoyable, entertaining, and competent film than I feared, and it is in no way deserving of the measly 28% 'Rotten' rating it has on Rotten Tomatoes.  I also suspect that some of the more vitriolic critics had a personal vendetta against Warner Bros, Zack Snyder, and the types of films they were making.

That certainly doesn't mean I consider BvS to be an unheralded classic, or even the Batman versus Superman film I think we all deserved, but it's certainly far from a disaster.  Moreover, it's a film that I can actually see myself re-visiting.  Whilst it's lack of humour is a slight problem, and it's interpretation of Lex Luthor a big sticking point for me (part of it is down to Jesse Eisenberg's casting, part of it is down to the filmmakers' flawed conception of the character), the performances of Affleck, Cavill, and Gadot are all fine, as are Amy Adams and Holly Hunter, in significant roles, the film raises many intelligent and thought-provoking questions about the presence of super-powered alien lifeforms on Earth (something that the MCU has never really given any true consideration to, despite the seismic repercussions of the Chitauri attack on New York), and for the most part the film looks fantastic, and is certainly more visually arresting than the Nolan trilogy.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Civility. Yes. Ages ago I saw a documentary called Heckler. It basically said that critics are hecklers, more or less, and they frequently cross the line. Hecklers and critics both, though, are horrible. George Lucas invested every nickel he had to his name to make Episode I... and was called a rapist. He made a movie and hoped people would enjoy it. And a lot of them called him a rapist. South Park actually showed him as a rapist.

Gee, I wonder why he sold Lucasilm to the evil empire, the house of mouse.

A-holes.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 23 May  2017, 17:12
For what it's worth, I have now seen BvS
Good to hear. Did you see the Theatrical or Ultimate Edition?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 May  2017, 09:56
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 23 May  2017, 17:12
For what it's worth, I have now seen BvS
Good to hear. Did you see the Theatrical or Ultimate Edition?
The theatrical version.  I wanted to see the version everyone had seen in the cinema first.  But I will eventually see the Ultimate Edition.

Having rather liked the Theatrical version, I look forward to seeing the Ultimate Edition.  However, at the moment I'm mostly looking forward to Wonder Woman.

I definitely recommend you see the Ultimate Edition at some point. As someone who liked the Theatrical, I loved the Ultimate Edition. It's a much better experience. The extra thirty minutes gives much more focus to Clark Kent, strengthens existing plot points and just has added clarity. It's Snyder's true vision.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 24 May  2017, 11:39
I definitely recommend you see the Ultimate Edition at some point. As someone who liked the Theatrical, I loved the Ultimate Edition. It's a much better experience. The extra thirty minutes gives much more focus to Clark Kent, strengthens existing plot points and just has added clarity. It's Snyder's true vision.
Oh, I will see it.  Most likely within the next couple of months.  But I'll take your recommendation as an added incentive to see it. :)

Personally I don't own any of the DCEU films yet, I'm hoping they'll have a box set the way marvel does.

I've seen man of steel and batman v superman twice each. I actually think part of the reason Batman v Superman underwhelmed (and maybe even Suicide Squad too) was man of steel. Dark, depression, and realism just don't work for Superman the way they work for Batman. Batman vs Superman represents dark vs. light, gloomy Gotham vs. colourful Metropolis. By making Superman too much like Batman, it really took away when they fought. I didn't feel any identity was created for either city, so much so that if you were to tune in at a random moment, you wouldn't be able to tell whether the scene is Gotham or Metropolis. I'm sure we all would have given anything to see the Christopher Reeve or even Brandon Routh Superman in the same movie as Burton/Keatons Batman. Those films really set the atmosphere for Gotham and Metropolis and it would have been something to see those worlds collide.

The main thing this movie lacks which every live action Batman movie back to the Adam west one got was making Gotham City almost into it's own character. This film gave no identity to its setting which is important to why Bruce does what he does at any given time.