Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 12 Feb 2017, 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 12 Feb 2017, 21:04 Last Edit: Sun, 12 Feb 2017, 21:06 by Silver Nemesis
I remember watching a few episodes of the Batman Beyond animated series when it first aired, and I always liked the Return of the Joker feature film. But I've only recently begun to appreciate just how good BB really is. I've embarked on an attempt to watch the entire series from start to finish, and I also recently read this 2010-2011 miniseries by Adam Beechen, Ryan Benjamin and John Stanisci. I can imagine most Batman fans overlooking this story, in the same way as many of them now disregard the BB TV show. But it's well worth reading.

For one thing, it's a cracking mystery in the tradition of the original Hush storyline. It functions as a standalone story for the DCAU, but also works as a sequel to the earlier Hush comics in the mainstream canon. It also does a good job of capturing the look, feel and characterisations of the Batman Beyond TV show. So for fans of the series, it's a must.

As well as introducing a new version of Hush, the story gives readers a hi-tech Batman Beyond-era incarnation of Catwoman; one which offers an interesting spin on the nine lives concept. I won't say what it is, as I wouldn't want to spoil any of the story's many twists for those who haven't read it. But it's certainly original.

The book answers certain questions that were left open by the BB TV series. What happened to Dick Grayson? What was Barbara hinting at when she said Terry should speak with him in Return of the Joker? Why did Batman stop wearing a cape in between the events of Justice League and BB? And we get to catch up with some old school Batman villains who never appeared in the BB TV show and find out what happened to them in their old age. But once again, I won't elaborate on that subject out of respect for spoilers.

So has anyone else read it? If so, what's your verdict? To anyone who hasn't, I say add it to your reading list and give it a shot.