BvS-Do You Bleed Scene (Danny Elfman Style)

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Sun, 12 Feb 2017, 11:41

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't see how that disproves my point. Nolan wanted a menacing, and at times trippy, tone to that sequence. While the editing is extremely well done, the music changes the tonal trajectory Nolan wanted that scene to take.

The two-note Zimmer Batman motif expresses darkness. Elfman's Batman theme is part darkness, part heroism. Introducing Elfman's score into that scene might have interesting creative ramifications... but those remain ramifications in opposition to what Nolan wanted.

That video demonstrates Elfman's music can function in that scene... a point I don't think I ever denied. What I did deny (and am right about) is that using Elfman's music changes the tone Nolan wanted for his film (and for that scene). That video bears me out.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 14 Feb  2017, 12:53
I don't see how that disproves my point. Nolan wanted a menacing, and at times trippy, tone to that sequence. While the editing is extremely well done, the music changes the tonal trajectory Nolan wanted that scene to take.

The two-note Zimmer Batman motif expresses darkness. Elfman's Batman theme is part darkness, part heroism. Introducing Elfman's score into that scene might have interesting creative ramifications... but those remain ramifications in opposition to what Nolan wanted.

A lot of fanboys would take offense that you would describe Zimmer's Batman theme as dark but not heroic. Considering my disdain for that version of the character, that theme fits quite well then.

Going back to the BvS Batman score, it has steadily grown on me. It reflects the many moods of Batman's story in the film. Off the top of my head, I can match the feeling of a lot of title tracks in this music:

• melancholy (Beautiful Lie),
  • tension (Vigilante),
  • brutality (the near entirety of Black of Blue),
  • cynicism (the New Rules track),
  • and relentlessness (the Do You Bleed? and Fight Night tracks).
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

A score doesn't have to copy Elfman's style, but the score for BvS is awful. Wonder Woman's theme sounds like it belongs in a Battletoads movie. Batman's theme is not a theme at all. Zimmer's theme for Superman is barely present at all, save for a few somber notes here and there. It's phoned in. It's bland. It's just music for the sake of having music. That's not what a good film score is.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Thu, 20 Apr  2017, 15:47A score doesn't have to copy Elfman's style, but the score for BvS is awful. Wonder Woman's theme sounds like it belongs in a Battletoads movie. Batman's theme is not a theme at all. Zimmer's theme for Superman is barely present at all, save for a few somber notes here and there. It's phoned in. It's bland. It's just music for the sake of having music. That's not what a good film score is.
Zimmer's Superman theme is Zimmer being Zimmer. He freely admits that he was burned out on superheroes by the time BVS came along. I enjoy his MOS work but I don't disagree when he says it's time for him to step aside and make room for someone else.

Junkie XL's Wagnerian Batman theme is pure genius though. I love it. In fact, I love all of Junkie's Batman music in BVS. He has a couple of themes he returns to through out the score and it's developed beautifully. "Beautiful Lie" is the most popular track from the BVS score for a reason.

I'm not going to defend or praise the Junkie XL Batman theme or the Zimmer Superman theme again. I've done that enough and people know where I stand. But the Wonder Woman theme is fantastic. It has a hummable melody, is full of energy and has a strong base with those drums. At first I thought it sounded off. But when I saw it in the movie? It simply clicked and hat tune got stuck in my head. I loved it, and I'm confident enough to say it has become a fan favorite in a relatively short space of time. It's fun and feel good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqFpD7tq-jQ