Blog RE: Lex Luthor and mental illness

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 7 Feb 2017, 09:31

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  7 Feb  2017, 11:39
I agree with the overall message that EisenLex is a genius.

EisenLex schemes his way THROUGHOUT Dawn of Justice. I'm guessing he's the busiest comic book villain in recent memory. But we know the popular things to say about this incarnation of the character. The sheep say he's a poor man's Heath Ledger. But here's the thing. EisenLex is a better character than Ledger's Joker. He does more, achieves more and it's not all hinged on dumb luck. The sheep judging EisenLex on his mannerisms are like Luke dismissing Yoda as a small, harmless insect when he's actually a dangerous and powerful Jedi Master.

As I said before, I didn't find TDK's Joker's mannerisms to be any better than Lex. Regardless, Lex in BvS may not typically embody the Post Crisis image of the corrupt businessman in the comics, but he was still a corrupt businessman. Who was cunning to use people's fears by using them against each other (i.e. Batman and Superman, fueling media debate between the pro-Supes and anti-Supes camps).

I thought it was realistic how Lex abused his power as a businessman by manipulating and covering up his crimes; using his criminal connections and bypassing government authority to gain access to what he wanted. And when he couldn't get what he wanted, he eliminated those getting in his way (Nairomi witness, Senator Finch), and played people's fears of Superman by tainting him with every chance he got.

If you're going to have a manipulative psychopath, it makes much more sense to have the villain already in a position of power. Otherwise, how the hell is he going to realistically gather such resources if he's an established nobody?

That's the biggest problem I have with TDK's Joker. You can tell he looks WAY deranged only by looking at his physical appearance, which makes the mob's willingness to co-operate with this low leveled crazy thug even more unrealistic. Not to mention that he gathers these henchmen, despite killing them at the same time.  That alone stretches credibility when it comes to realism. Seriously, TDK's Joker's plans make even less sense when you stop and think about it.

BvS Lex may have had his share of contrivances, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as TDK Joker's. Similar to how people mistakenly believe Batman and Superman settled their differences aside because their mothers have the same name...but think that idiotic Agent of Chaos speech spurred Two-Face getting revenge at those who betrayed him. A speech told by the same man who was DIRECTLY responsible for ruining his life...and yet, Two-Face let's him go before beginning is killing spree. Yeah, that makes so much sense.

These detractors seriously need to get a grip. Fast.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  8 Apr  2017, 09:22As I said before, I didn't find TDK's Joker's mannerisms to be any better than Lex. Regardless, Lex in BvS may not typically embody the Post Crisis image of the corrupt businessman in the comics, but he was still a corrupt businessman. Who was cunning to use people's fears by using them against each other (i.e. Batman and Superman, fueling media debate between the pro-Supes and anti-Supes camps).

I thought it was realistic how Lex abused his power as a businessman by manipulating and covering up his crimes; using his criminal connections and bypassing government authority to gain access to what he wanted. And when he couldn't get what he wanted, he eliminated those getting in his way (Nairomi witness, Senator Finch), and played people's fears of Superman by tainting him with every chance he got.
Corrupt businessman doesn't make Lex Luthor, no more than crazy clown makes Joker and no more than a ten rings associated man with dragon tattoos makes a Mandarin and a canary cry and fighting skills makes a Black Canary.
QuoteIf you're going to have a manipulative psychopath, it makes much more sense to have the villain already in a position of power. Otherwise, how the hell is he going to realistically gather such resources if he's an established nobody?

That's the biggest problem I have with TDK's Joker. You can tell he looks WAY deranged only by looking at his physical appearance, which makes the mob's willingness to co-operate with this low leveled crazy thug even more unrealistic. Not to mention that he gathers these henchmen, despite killing them at the same time.  That alone stretches credibility when it comes to realism. Seriously, TDK's Joker's plans make even less sense when you stop and think about it.
You prove more than anything that you haven't seen TDK, because that was the whole point of the Joker, that the mob co-operates with him only because Batman makes them desperate enough to try even a psychotic clown who says he can kill Batman. Alfred says that.
QuoteBvS Lex may have had his share of contrivances, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as TDK Joker's. Similar to how people mistakenly believe Batman and Superman settled their differences aside because their mothers have the same name...but think that idiotic Agent of Chaos speech spurred Two-Face getting revenge at those who betrayed him. A speech told by the same man who was DIRECTLY responsible for ruining his life...and yet, Two-Face let's him go before beginning is killing spree. Yeah, that makes so much sense.

These detractors seriously need to get a grip. Fast.
Harvey doesn't let Joker go. He lets his coin decide, same with everyone else after that. Insanity doesn't make sense often. Batman and Superman didn't settle their differences at all, because they didn't have differences. They didn't fight for any real reason. That's another reason why the Martha thing is dumb. You want to ignore that it shouldn't be the way they stop fighting. But yes, they stop fighting for that reason, because their mom having the same name is the reason Bruce sees him as person and, as far as I'm concerned recognizes God's plan in life, that his parents died for a reason and that the world does make sense. It shouldn't be and Bruce shouldn't need that to do so. A Batman who would murder a for all intents and purposes innocent man in cold blood and needs their mother's to have the same names to make him realize its wrong isn't the Batman character. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!