What are your issues with the DCEU Superman?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 20 Dec 2016, 03:32

Previous topic - Next topic
I wonder now if the naysayers of MOS and BvS that wanted to Superman to be more cheerful are happy with how he turned out in JL. Or if they're like the fans of the movies, and turn around and say he's a cartoon. ::)

You can't win with these people.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 12:52
I wonder now if the naysayers of MOS and BvS that wanted to Superman to be more cheerful are happy with how he turned out in JL. Or if they're like the fans of the movies, and turn around and say he's a cartoon. ::)

This. I always had a tough time respecting the anti-MOS and anti-BVS contingents. But after JL, they have no cred with me whatsoever. They got everything they said they wanted in JL but they're still whining and complaining.

I wash my hands of them.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 12:52I wonder now if the naysayers of MOS and BvS that wanted to Superman to be more cheerful are happy with how he turned out in JL. Or if they're like the fans of the movies, and turn around and say he's a cartoon. ::)

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 14:26This. I always had a tough time respecting the anti-MOS and anti-BVS contingents. But after JL, they have no cred with me whatsoever. They got everything they said they wanted in JL but they're still whining and complaining.

I wash my hands of them.
There's a seeming desire here to ignore the context that some people wanting a light Superman doesn't mean they want a cheesy Superman. Good writing matters.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 20:01There's a seeming desire here to ignore the context that some people wanting a light Superman doesn't mean they want a cheesy Superman. Good writing matters.
Yes, please do lecture me, the lifelong Superman fan, on what's wrong with his depiction in the DCEU.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 21:07Yes, please do lecture me, the lifelong Superman fan, on what's wrong with his depiction in the DCEU.
My post wasn't about what's wrong or right with the Superman depiction. It was about people wanting a light character not meaning they want a cheesy character and about good writing.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 14:26
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  9 Dec  2017, 12:52

This. I always had a tough time respecting the anti-MOS and anti-BVS contingents. But after JL, they have no cred with me whatsoever. They got everything they said they wanted in JL but they're still whining and complaining.

I wash my hands of them.
Dawn of Justice Superman was a character. You can't say the same about Whedon League's Superman. It's so infuriating that a goldmine of a story (Superman returning from the dead) is given lip service. It's barely even explored. The studio freaked about Snyder's original vision.....but seriously. I don't see how Superman fans can be overjoyed with what they ultimately ended up receiving. A computer generated mouth man who barely even appears in the film. He's just a pair of fists. A character's emotions and struggles are deemed 'too risky' now. Check out Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice to see how to properly deconstruct an icon and then build him back up. It's 100% more satisfying than gutless pandering.

I noticed that the shot of Superman flying towards from an angle while in battle is not only a recurring image in these films, it's a visual that's copied in other media such as Supergirl and Injustice 2.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

While Henry Cavill reflecting on his "one regret" playing Superman thus far in an interview promoting the latest Mission Impossible movie, this idiotic little snippet from whoever wrote the article caught my attention:

Man Of Steel itself attracted controversy for its darker take on the Big Blue Boy Scout – Zac Snyder creating a moody film that felt closer in spirit to Christopher Nolan than Christopher Reeve. At the climax Superman snaps General Zod's neck: a killing to save an endangered family, but a killing in cold blood nonetheless.

Source: https://www.squaremile.com/features/interview/henry-cavill-mission-impossible/

The last time I checked in the Cambridge University website, the phrase 'in cold blood' means to "intentionally [kill] and without emotion".

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but Superman looked pretty upset that he had to kill somebody. Never mind the fact genocidal Zod already made it clear by shouting "There's only one way this ends, Kal. Either you die, or I do".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93l5q7AWDM

But whatever, I guess this shows once again that if you pay lip service to a moral code or you have a charismatic person who kills somebody in true cold blood (like Wonder Woman and SII), people will accept anything.

Moving on, Cavill confirmed the plan for this event was to pave the way towards the more traditional, confident Superman:

The killing of Zod would have led to a wonderful reason why Superman never kills. Not, he never kills just because his dad said so one day. He made the decision himself because of an impossible scenario, to which he then said, 'I don't care if it's impossible again, I'm gonna find a way to make it possible in the impossible.'

The move toward a DC Universe meant "we didn't get the opportunity to show the other side of it, the 'I'm ready to be Superman now and I'm ready to show the world the best examples'. That's where the joy and glee comes from, and that sense of warmth from the character, which is his real superpower – he makes people believe in themselves. It was a shame because it would've been nice, and it would have been a lovely coupling with the seriousness and the depth of Man of Steel."

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat, 14 Jul  2018, 08:28
While Henry Cavill reflecting on his "one regret" playing Superman thus far in an interview promoting the latest Mission Impossible movie, this idiotic little snippet from whoever wrote the article caught my attention:

Man Of Steel itself attracted controversy for its darker take on the Big Blue Boy Scout – Zac Snyder creating a moody film that felt closer in spirit to Christopher Nolan than Christopher Reeve. At the climax Superman snaps General Zod's neck: a killing to save an endangered family, but a killing in cold blood nonetheless.

Source: https://www.squaremile.com/features/interview/henry-cavill-mission-impossible/

The last time I checked in the Cambridge University website, the phrase 'in cold blood' means to "intentionally [kill] and without emotion".

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but Superman looked pretty upset that he had to kill somebody. Never mind the fact genocidal Zod already made it clear by shouting "There's only one way this ends, Kal. Either you die, or I do".

sh*t like this is why the age of the internet and bloggers suck. Any idiot who can type can be called a "writer," even though they don't fact check and are f***ing ignorant. And it's not like we're talking about some grand deep detail that takes a bit of studying or whatever to master. Knowing what "IN COLD BLOOD" means should be f***ing simple. It's pathetic. But they can get by with it and somebody who's just as ignorant is going to read the sh*t and be like "Oh, it was in cold blood, wow" and it just starts a domino effect of stupid motherf***ertude.

I hate people.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 14 Jul  2018, 18:50sh*t like this is why the age of the internet and bloggers suck. Any idiot who can type can be called a "writer," even though they don't fact check and are f***ing ignorant. And it's not like we're talking about some grand deep detail that takes a bit of studying or whatever to master. Knowing what "IN COLD BLOOD" means should be f***ing simple. It's pathetic. But they can get by with it and somebody who's just as ignorant is going to read the sh*t and be like "Oh, it was in cold blood, wow" and it just starts a domino effect of stupid motherf***ertude.

I hate people.
Funny, this sounds a lot like my critique of democracy.