Brandon Routh to reprise his role as Superman

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 19 Jul 2019, 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic
So, after all that hype over Brandon Routh playing Superman again for the first time in nearly fourteen years, all it amounts to was getting brainwashed by Jon Cryer's Lex into fighting Hoechlin's Superman, some worthless speech about hope and getting killed off by Cryer's Lex.

And there is this shot of him flying out of orbit once the multiverse had been restored, in yet another tired homage to all final shots of every Superman movie from 1978 to 2006.

The only positive thing I can say about this pointless, non-event revival is his Kingdom Cone suit looked heaps better than his Returns suit.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 20 Nov  2019, 02:05There is enough discontinuity between STM and SR that separating the two isn't difficult anyway. If COIE is the SR character's conclusion, eh, I'm fine with that.
But apparently not everyone is fine with it.

Long story short, Routh may come back to that version of Superman on HBO Max. Rumors are a dime a dozen these days but here it is anyway.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  4 Dec  2019, 00:29I'm calling it now. The Smallville universe is going KABOOM in Crisis.
Boy oh boy...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  7 Dec  2019, 15:14Some are saying the dead Superman at the 20 second mark is Gerard Christopher from the old Superboy TV series, though this has yet to be confirmed.
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat,  7 Dec  2019, 15:14
Been thinking about this lately. It appears that the dead Superman there was Hoechlin. Because that actress certainly resembles Tulloch.

Still, I do wonder how things might've worked out if Gerard Christopher had come back. Odds are his universe probably would've been steamrolled too. So, maybe it's best that he didn't or wasn't invited or whatever.

But for as cheesy as that Superboy show could be at times, the affection and sincerity for the source material is simply undeniable. In fact, Superboy is what I point back to every time somebody says the Salkinds in general and Ilya Salkind in particular didn't rly get Superman. Because it's pretty evident from watching Superboy that Ilya Salkind for sure had a rock solid understanding of what this character is all about. The more deeply involved Salkind got with the Superboy series, the higher quality the show became.

Some cheese, yes, but the production's collective heart was definitely in the right place.

In fact, my little conspiracy theory is that Superboy as we see him on that TV show is actually an alternate universe version of Reeve's Superman from STM. Essentially the same exact character but with one major difference in their history.

I'd rly enjoy seeing Gerard Christopher come back to the role in SOME way or another.