The Mummy Franchise (Universal and Hammer)

Started by Grissom, Mon, 5 Dec 2016, 17:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Mon, 5 Dec 2016, 17:13 Last Edit: Wed, 7 Sep 2022, 15:25 by Silver Nemesis

Universal may have successfully brought old monsters into a new world. Could be the surprise hit of the summer.

Am I the only one who still likes the 1999 version with Brendan Fraser?  :-\
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm cynical about reboots, but I think this has the potential to succeed. Tom Cruise legitimises the whole production, and I make it no secret that I think the man is a movie legend. The trailer gave me good vibes. It gave a completely different feel to the original film with Brendan Fraser. Which is precisely the point of a reboot. It's set in the modern day and therefore that's where the point of difference lies.

I can see this being more of an action/thriller with fantasy elements. And if that's the case, count me in. The plane sequence at the beginning of the trailer strikes that atmosphere, with a dose of Mission Impossible. If people actually give this a chance, I think they'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sorta apathetic about the trailer itself, but feel more intrigued by the whole "Classic Universal Monsters Shared Universe" idea which this is supposed to be the opening chapter. Who knows if it will actually be successful...

Course I was intrigued by this idea way back with Dracula Untold when Universal was initially toying around with the idea.  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

As I posted before, Tom Cruise legitimises the production for me. If he's involved, it has to be decent. He doesn't really sign up for any old thing. He must have seen something worthwhile here. Jack Reacher 2 was rather good too. I think it's admirable that his career is as strong as ever. He has the highest work ethic and commitment you'll ever find. His inspiration is Charlie Chaplin and it shows.

This movie wasn't given a chance. It faced an uphill battle ever since it was announced, and then when the trailers dropped the same tone continued. People seem to view the Brendan Fraser Mummy as a solid gold classic, which I absolutely don't. I don't think they could let go of their own baggage and bias.

When the Cruise film was released it was predictably savaged by the critics who were all over it like a pack of starving hyenas, each trying to out hyperbole the other. This has continued to the point we have an 18% Rotten Tomatoes score. I saw this reaction and yep, I couldn't help but be discouraged.

But then I saw a few audience reactions. They said 'I had a good time, the critics were way too harsh', and that was enough to motivate me. And now that I've seen the film...F the critics. They behaved as if the Cruise film was a locust plaque. Their slurs painted the picture of the worst movie of all time in which all the reels needed to be burned.

Don't listen to them. See a film for yourself and make up your own damn mind. Don't let these dogs discourage you. It's the same old story.

If The Mummy reboot a classic? No, but neither are the Fraser films. This updates the concept to the modern day, and I liked that angle. The concepts were rather good, and the finale is what elevated the overall product. I'd give it about a 7/10. The universe building worked for me also. Without it, I actually don't think it would be as good. I'm glad I saw the movie.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 10 Jun  2017, 11:18People seem to view the Brendan Fraser Mummy as a solid gold classic
Really? Hmm. I always regarded that Mummy movie as a guilty pleasure. I guess I never realized how well-regarded it is. Interesting.

I am checking this out tomorrow.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 10 Jun  2017, 16:14
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 10 Jun  2017, 11:18People seem to view the Brendan Fraser Mummy as a solid gold classic
Really? Hmm. I always regarded that Mummy movie as a guilty pleasure. I guess I never realized how well-regarded it is. Interesting.
I agree, however that's the way they talk. You gotta put down that reboot at all costs bro!
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 13 Jun  2017, 03:42
I am checking this out tomorrow.
I give you the highest of all fives.

I saw this about a week or so ago. It had its moment, but it was a victim of poor editing decisions (using the wrong shots, not tightening up scenes, dialogue where dialogue isn't needed, awkward moments that could have easily been excised, etc.) I hope the next Dark Universe films fair better.