BvS Video Essay - Allegory & Allusion

Started by The Laughing Fish, Wed, 9 Nov 2016, 04:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  8 Oct  2017, 06:17Translation- "If they're not the exact same, they're totally different!!"

Metaphor. Symbolism. These are lost on you.
If you're going to ignore my words, please don't reply to me. For whatever reason you choose to misunderstand the difference between the metaphor and symbolism and the weight and meaning behind them.

I don't know where else to put this, so I thought this was the best spot. This guy is doing a 3 part breakdown of BvS, and why he thinks it's misunderstood. Loads of good points. And some things about TDKReturns that I never noticed. But anyways, I think you guys would enjoy this. Part 2&3 are coming soon.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 20 Dec  2017, 19:21
I don't know where else to put this, so I thought this was the best spot. This guy is doing a 3 part breakdown of BvS, and why he thinks it's misunderstood. Loads of good points. And some things about TDKReturns that I never noticed. But anyways, I think you guys would enjoy this. Part 2&3 are coming soon.

Thanks for sharing the vid, Trav, that's a great video! Never noticed that Batman's inner thoughts were coloured in grey in Dark Knight Returns, that signals his murky sense of morality. It's certainly a truly thought-provoking piece of analysis and how Snyder captures that mood for Batman in BvS.

Has anybody noticed that Frank Miller's take on Batman is becoming less and less loved by fans nowadays? Every time I go online, the reputation for the first DKR story is not as positive as it used to be. Maybe it's a result of the sequels taken the appeal out of it? Nonetheless, I find it a coincidence that the harder, cynical Batman is no longer admired in the same way some people had a problem with Batman's misguided anger in BvS.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Here is another video drawing similarities between BvS and DC's animated movies and video games.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 06:03 #24 Last Edit: Sat, 20 Jan 2018, 06:07 by Azrael
Nice vid. I love that he used the score from Elizabeth: The Golden Age.

He could have added footage from the Warehouse fight with a fight scene from an Arkham game.

Here's the second video of the 3 part analysis on BvS that Travesty talked about before, this time talking about the tone for the first two Snyder films, the media's relationship with Superman, and the fight between Bats and Supes which leads to the Martha moment.

I must admit, I'm still not too convinced by the rationale behind the choice of using Martha's name in the dialogue, even though I never agreed with the stupid consensus that people thought both men stopped fighting because of their mothers having the same name. But just when I thought that misunderstanding is bad, apparently some people actually thought the media debating Superman had no point to the story at all.

Jesus Christ, I don't think BvS is a masterpiece, but I can't believe how a lot of simple things went over people's heads. But I guess this is what happens when you live in the age of Internet hype, both positive and negative.

Here is the third and final part of that BvS analysis, addressing criticisms over Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor and his plan.

By the way, while the video focuses on the subject about the explorers finding the Kryptonite at the Indian Ocean, does anybody else think that the remains of the destroyed World Engine resembles a bit like a human skull? It's a coincidence, of course, but the scene itself still foreshadows Superman's demise. Here's an interesting fact, according to IMDB, the actor who played the explorer who picked up the Kryptonite was credited for playing the role of Emmet Vale, who is Metallo's creator in the comics. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1079863/

I'm surprised I missed out on Alfred making a clear Phantasm reference while discussing the White Portuguese with Bruce.

Part 1&3 were really strong. Part 2 was ok, but much weaker. Overall, a really good analysis. I haven't seen BvS in awhile, and I kinda want to watch it again.

Sun, 13 May 2018, 02:41 #28 Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2018, 02:48 by The Laughing Fish
Here is another video by two fans addressing popular criticisms against Zack Snyder's treatment of the characters in both MOS and BvS, similar to the Twin Perfect videos. It includes screenshots of storyboard artist and Dark Knight Returns animated director Jay Oliva defending the creative choices to an ignorant 'fan' on Twitter. It's a pretty long video, but worthwhile to take the time to watch.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun,  6 May  2018, 17:02
Part 1&3 were really strong. Part 2 was ok, but much weaker.

The biggest revelation in Part 3 for me was Eisenberg WAS supposed to play Jimmy Olsen, but it was decided he'd play Luthor because he could deliver lines in such a callous manner. Of course, fans have often complained that we never had Lex as the corrupt businessman type in live action, but that doesn't make the idea of depicting him as a tech-savvy personality in the vein of Zuckerberg, Musk or Jobs any less valid.