Batman v Superman reference in Spider-Man/Deadpool #6

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sat, 2 Jul 2016, 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic
I haven't read this comic, but apparently it takes a few shots at BvS.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, the comic also spoofs the recent Deadpool movie and pokes fun at Spider-Man's cinematic history. It all seems playful in tone.

You can read more about it here: http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/29/marvel-trolls-batman-v-superman-in-spider-man-deadpool/

Good natured or not, that whole "tell one good movie, forget about setting up the next eight movies" more readily applies to Marvel than it does WB.

Marvel has taken yet another dig at BvS, this time in Uncanny X-Men Annual #1.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/comics-marvel-takes-another-shot-at-the-martha-scene-from-a146946

It amazes me how people completely misunderstood this scene and thought Batman spared Superman simply because their mothers shared the same name. ::) I have no idea what scene they were watching.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

It might be because there's no scene where Affleck says "Lois, I realize now I lost control. I'd allowed myself to lose my own humanity. That drove me off on a quest for vengeance. And in the process I nearly killed a true hero. It wasn't until I heard the name of his mother that I recognized his humanity... and realized I'd lost my own. With one word, he showed me how far I'd fallen. I'm the real villain of this story."

I'm sure Nolan would've remembered to put in a soliloquy like that. And the hell of it is, he probably would've won raves for doing it.

Idiotic people, I swear...

Marvel should put their effort into actually creating a comic worth buying. As it stands, their products are nothing more than expensive toilet paper. Love or hate DC films, but it's hard to deny they do a reasonably consistent job with their comics. That's the very source material of films and everything else. The comics are the beginning and the end. So Marvel, screw you. If you poke the bear, you better expect consequences. They act holier than thou, but the joke is on them because they don't GET IT.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 22 Nov  2016, 02:57
It might be because there's no scene where Affleck says "Lois, I realize now I lost control. I'd allowed myself to lose my own humanity. That drove me off on a quest for vengeance. And in the process I nearly killed a true hero. It wasn't until I heard the name of his mother that I recognized his humanity... and realized I'd lost my own. With one word, he showed me how far I'd fallen. I'm the real villain of this story."

I'm sure Nolan would've remembered to put in a soliloquy like that. And the hell of it is, he probably would've won raves for doing it.

Idiotic people, I swear...

The thing is the movie had already spelled out a lot about Bruce Wayne's psyche. We had Alfred talking about how life-changing events that make good men powerless to the point of turning to cruelty, to Bruce himself justifying his belief that Superman will turn rogue one day despite Alfred's protests; with his reasoning based on experience that many good people in his life "don't stay that way". Sure, he doesn't explain who these people were, but nonetheless it tells us how he has become cynical, extreme and blind with rage.

Seriously, how much expository dialogue do we need? If that wasn't even enough, we were beaten in the head by watching the same flashbacks of his parent's deaths as we saw at the start of the film during the Martha moment, which ties back to the themes of powerlessness and Bruce beginning to realise he was becoming everything he fought against.

Now I can understand if some felt the lead-up to the Martha moment felt contrived, but there's A LOT more of an arc going on here than some coincidence that people insist. Again, I am constantly amazed how many misunderstood this scene.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

When he says "how many stayed that way", Harvey Dent comes to mind. Especially the "we know what promises are worth" comment.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 22 Nov  2016, 09:55
Marvel should put their effort into actually creating a comic worth buying. As it stands, their products are nothing more than expensive toilet paper. Love or hate DC films, but it's hard to deny they do a reasonably consistent job with their comics. That's the very source material of films and everything else. The comics are the beginning and the end. So Marvel, screw you. If you poke the bear, you better expect consequences. They act holier than thou, but the joke is on them because they don't GET IT.

I can't comment on the quality of Marvel Comics nowadays because I haven't read them, but then again, let's remember the Captain America being Nazi thing awhile ago. Of course, they changed back to normal, either because it was their plan all along, or perhaps it was to surrender to the backlash and rectify a mistake.  ;)

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 23 Nov  2016, 11:48
When he says "how many stayed that way", Harvey Dent comes to mind. Especially the "we know what promises are worth" comment.

Absolutely. I even wrote somewhere else here after I saw the movie that Bruce's comment could even imply other villains who could've been redeemed e.g. Mr. Freeze and Catwoman.

I was looking at a Reddit thread discussing the film, and a fan thought he saw a tear running down Batman's cheek during the Martha scene. I never noticed that.