"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 16 Nov  2017, 22:19
Honestly, the great majority of my personal investment in the DCEU at this exact moment is Affleck. If he drops out... yeah, I don't love my chances of sticking around either.
Think about this from Affleck's point of view. Is it fun to star in films that always get critically smashed while his past misdeeds are also front and centre? Is he really going to keep this cycle going? I wouldn't be surprised if he walks for these reasons, and with him will go my enthusiasm for the brand.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 16 Nov  2017, 23:11Think about this from Affleck's point of view. Is it fun to star in films that always get critically smashed while his past misdeeds are also front and centre? Is he really going to keep this cycle going? I wouldn't be surprised if he walks for these reasons, and with him will go my enthusiasm for the brand.
I totally understand the reasoning. Hey, that's the main reason I'd never want to be famous. Because who needs the grief, you know? I would've cashed out ages ago. There's no amount of money in the world for me to put up with celebrity life. Once I made a big enough nut, I would've quietly packed up and moved into the mountains or something.

But this is the same guy who survived Bennifer. He could do no right for about six or seven years there. If goings on with Batman and the DCEU is the worst thing that ever happens to Affleck, he just might live forever.

Like I say, I get it. And I even sympathize. Allz I'm saying is if he's out, I probably will be too. For the first time in decades, Batman on the big screen is something I'm eagerly looking forward to. He's a major part of that. Subtracting him from the equation might be a deal-breaker, at least for me.

Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 00:46 #162 Last Edit: Fri, 17 Nov 2017, 08:21 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 17 Nov  2017, 00:34
Like I say, I get it. And I even sympathize. Allz I'm saying is if he's out, I probably will be too. For the first time in decades, Batman on the big screen is something I'm eagerly looking forward to. He's a major part of that. Subtracting him from the equation might be a deal-breaker, at least for me.
I like familiarity with actors in roles. We've gotten used to Affleck now, so it'd be a real shame if he leaves.

I think Snyder showed WB a cut of the film and they got cold feet with certain aspects. Thus they agreed to a bunch of new scenes for Superman which Whedon then filmed. I think the movie is okay (and I'll be seeing it again on the weekend), but feel like it's going to be another case of 'wait for the extended cut for the better version'. I'd rate the films like this:

Batman v Superman
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Suicide Squad

I'm not believing in any rumours until Affleck himself confirms his desire to leave, assuming if he wants to.

But if that is the case, it would be a huge PR disaster, in my opinion. It's bad enough that all of this "will he or won't he" garbage is making fans nervous, but the thought of him leaving after many taking a liking to his portrayal thus far would only signal a death knell for this franchise. At least from me. I have no desire for a recast, we already had that in the 90s when Keaton left, and whether or not you or me can accept the Schumacher films, there's no denying the franchise went south nonetheless.

If Affleck has no other good reason to leave other than getting upset by the critics, no matter how agenda-driven, hypocritical and even slanderous they are, then he's a precious snowflake and my respect for him would go down faster than flushing the toilet. I know it sounds harsh, but that scenario to me is like admitting defeat. f*** THAT.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Ever since Gylenhall was in the running to  replace Tobey Maguire when his participation in Spider-man 2 was in doubt, his name seems to get thrown around every comic movie. It's not even when a role opens up, seems half the rumours of actors leaving the MCU/DCEU end with 'to be replaced by Jake Gylenhall', before this he was rumoured to take over Tony Stark from RDJ.

Unlike two-face's coin, this reality has two sides to it. On one hand Ben has to deal with critics hell bent on labeling his films as a mess when they come out but conversely the overall fan reaction towards his portrayal has been positive. I really hope WB doesn't win this stupid fight.

Quote from: riddler on Sat, 18 Nov  2017, 15:39Unlike two-face's coin, this reality has two sides to it. On one hand Ben has to deal with critics hell bent on labeling his films as a mess when they come out but conversely the overall fan reaction towards his portrayal has been positive. I really hope WB doesn't win this stupid fight.
Sometimes I can't help thinking that "the fans" deserve a kick in the nuts and no new DC movies for the rest of their burger-flipping, basement-dwelling, anime-masturbating, childless lives.

Now this might seem very silly considering the current situation and status of the DCEU, but well...

The thing I will really hate about the new Batman movie will be for it to be visually boring, and Gotham without atmosphere. I don't have any special preference about what the plot should be, which villain(s) Batman has to fight, or if it needs a strong detective element. Just have a good story and a good villain with clever casting. I'm all about visuals and atmosphere. The lack of these is what I really hate about the Nolaniad.

I think there can be a balance between Burton's stylized (but stage-looking) city and what the wider public seems to prefer (judging by the success of the Nolaniad) i.e. something that feels more "real" (mundane, BORING). The Arkham games have a good balance - the Arkham building looks like a steampunk chateau, the city looks appropriately Gothic and Art Deco, but it still feels like a city and not a stage. I'd love to see something like that in live action.

If the "keep it real" mentality persists and Gotham is just some locations in an American or Canadian city the filmakers found convenient and overall the movie looks like a standard action/crime movie, well... all the best, auf wiedersehen.

Sure, it's something I've been talking about for many years. I loved what Nolan did in BB, but after that, his Gotham felt a bit too pristine. I used to live in Chicago for 5 years, and I thought it was a pretty clean looking city for the most part, but Nolan somehow made it look even cleaner than it already was. Which is the opposite of what I think of when I picture Gotham in my head. It doesn't need to be too dramatic, like what we saw with Burton, but it doesn't need to be a cleaner version of an established city. I heard the TV show Gotham looks good, although, I've only seen the first 3 episodes, and I stopped watching, so I never got a feel for it. But I've heard it has a pretty good atmosphere to it.

But overall, I agree. I do hope that we get back to Gotham having an atmosphere to it, that feels original, and not too realistic.

Quote from: Travesty on Sun, 18 Feb  2018, 17:06
Sure, it's something I've been talking about for many years. I loved what Nolan did in BB, but after that, his Gotham felt a bit too pristine. I used to live in Chicago for 5 years, and I thought it was a pretty clean looking city for the most part, but Nolan somehow made it look even cleaner than it already was. Which is the opposite of what I think of when I picture Gotham in my head. It doesn't need to be too dramatic, like what we saw with Burton, but it doesn't need to be a cleaner version of an established city. I heard the TV show Gotham looks good, although, I've only seen the first 3 episodes, and I stopped watching, so I never got a feel for it. But I've heard it has a pretty good atmosphere to it.

But overall, I agree. I do hope that we get back to Gotham having an atmosphere to it, that feels original, and not too realistic.

That's the best thing about it. The atmosphere, the mixed-era (there's CRT TVs and audio casettes co-existing with modern mobile phones) and the actors. The writing is all over the place, even if judging the writing is not one's expertise (it's not mine anyway), but what holds it together are some very strong performances by the leads (esp. Gordon, Bullock, The Penguin, The Riddler) and the visuals. In places it's almost like a tribute to Burton's two films and Batman Forever. It's no wonder they used the same exterior location from Batman Forever as Wayne manor, they did a direct reference to Selina's fall, or they cast Paul Reubens as the Penguin's father.

I think what Nolan was trying to do with Gotham is show the impact of batman.

In begins we got a heavily corrupt and dangerous city.
In the dark knight is is still dangerous but less pristine.
For the most part of Rises, Gotham is clean and proper due to the events of the Dent Act and Batman.

That being said I didn't feel this was vintage Gotham being portrayed. It felt more like Batman in Chicago and Pittsburgh instead of Gotham.

Definitely the Arkham games have the best style, this is the consensus among fans. It should be more grounded than Batman and Robin but I hope they aren't afraid to take some liberties.