"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 13 Nov  2017, 19:39
Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 13 Nov  2017, 19:19
From recent USA Today article

QuoteThe new Batman movie being developed by Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) is "something I'm contemplating," says Affleck, who originally was tapped to direct. "You don't do it forever, so I want to find a graceful and cool way to segue out of it."

Sounds like he really wants out.
Today just keeps getting better and better...
My intuition tells me he wants to retreat from public life for a good while, even from films, because of the Weinstein saga and the allegations against him. Possibly mixed in with nerves about the film possibly not being well received. Check out his body language and facial expressions during the press tour. He looks self conscious to me - like everybody is looking at him. Tiger Woods went the same way. There's a film to promote. He has to be somewhat upbeat because this...but I'd say it's forced. These people lose their confidence.

This is apparently the full context of what he said:

For all we now, this could be just leverage to negotiate with a new contract with WB. Didn't Matt Reeves do aonething similar, or is my memory deceiving me?

I don't know. If he were to suddenly leave, that would only reflect poorly on his part after months of confirming his commitment. All I know is, gabage collectors like Collider would have a field day speculating this.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Tue, 14 Nov 2017, 15:41 #152 Last Edit: Wed, 15 Nov 2017, 01:40 by GoNerdYourself
Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 13 Nov  2017, 19:19
From recent USA Today article

QuoteThe new Batman movie being developed by Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) is "something I'm contemplating," says Affleck, who originally was tapped to direct. "You don't do it forever, so I want to find a graceful and cool way to segue out of it."

Sounds like he really wants out.

Argh... I really like Ben as Batman and I hope he stays in the role for a little while longer, but if it is his wish to leave, it is what it is. It would just be nice to see Batmen, particularly the good ones, stick around for more than 2 to 3 major outings, not counting cameos. 

I know these films, being on hot set with a heavy suit, having to run this way and hop that way, aren't easy to make even with a stunt double doing the heavy lifting. I'm sure these actors know what they are getting into when they sign up and I'm sure it's not the main factor in deciding to leave the role, but I also don't see that keeping them there when the style has changed, the contract has run out, and the films are no longer living up to the ideas they signed up for, possibly with a significant drop in quality. And then there are the reasons The Dark Knight mentioned above.

Quote from: GoNerdYourself on Tue, 14 Nov  2017, 15:41
And then there are the reasons The Dark Knight mentioned above.
Yep.

Y'all know I'm a big supporter of Batfleck. So my opinions here shouldn't be interpreted as malicious. I hope he stays in the role for a while longer because I think he's doing a great job. But this is what I think....people can take or leave my opinions, I'm just putting them out there. If I had to guess right now, I'd say he'll probably end up doing The Batman (which is a couple of years from now), with Flashpoint used as the explanation for a new actor.

If Matt Reeves is doing a trilogy, which is rumored, I would just want Affleck to leave, so we can get a more consistent trilogy.

We'll just have to see what happens. I'm guessing a lot of the future plans depend on JL. In any case, my focus is on the here and now. Once I see the film I'll write down my thoughts. Critics can say whatever they want, good or bad. In my experience they're unreliable. I'll never forget the first time I saw BvS. That film got SAVAGED and I walked in expecting a trainwreck. I walked out completely satisfied. Tune out the noise and focus on your own experience.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 15 Nov  2017, 00:04
Y'all know I'm a big supporter of Batfleck. So my opinions here shouldn't be interpreted as malicious. I hope he stays in the role for a while longer because I think he's doing a great job. But this is what I think....people can take or leave my opinions, I'm just putting them out there. If I had to guess right now, I'd say he'll probably end up doing The Batman (which is a couple of years from now), with Flashpoint used as the explanation for a new actor.

This sounds extremely plausible to me. I too believe Affleck will atleast continue on with THE BATMAN. After that, I could see him bowing out. Flashpoint would be the opportunity to change things. Similar to how Flashpoint in DC Comics was the open door for the New 52, where history was altered, and most, if not all, the major superheroes were now suddenly younger than their Pre-Flashpoint counterparts. I remember in the Lois & Clark mini-series where it was revealed that the Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Superman was living in the New52 Universe, Superman observing the New52 Batman (whom he assumed was an alternate Batman at the time), and telling Lois that he was younger, and even faster than the Bruce he knew, with Lois remarking that she found that almost hard to believe. With the DCEU, this really isn't a issue outside of Affleck. Who is obviously the senior member, and one with decades of experience under his utility belt.

Personally, I really don't want to see him go because I like him in the role, but if that's his decision, then yeah, Flashpoint would be the more sensible time to make the change. Course we may be getting multiple Batmen anyways if that DCEU plan to do stand alone one-shot movies like The Joker origin movie goes thru.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

The way things are shaping up, Flashpoint is the DCEU's next "last chance to get it right".

The day will come when every DCEU movie is a come-back.

Sooooo, rumors are that Jake Gyllenahaal is being looked at for Batman in Matt Reeves' movie.

I don't know? I love Gyllenhaal, I think he's a great actor, but not sure if he would be a good Batman. I'm sure he could pull off the Bruce Wayne persona, but not sure about Batman. But who knows, it's just a rumor right now.

There's always a rumor. And the fact is that whoever starts these rumors has a major league boner to get Jake Gyllenhaal into some kind of comic book movie because his name always seems to pop up. It's like he's the new Jim Caviezel or something. There was a point when any time a comic book movie was announced, rumors always followed that Caviezel was "in the running". When Superman Returns was first announced, it was "rumored" that Caviezel would play Superman. When MOS was announced, it was again "rumored" that Caviezel would play Jor-El. Obviously those things never happened.

As to the Jake Gyllenhaal thing... actually, in this case I might find it easy to believe. Reeves is already known to be retooling his script from page one. It's only a few extra paragraphs of text on the screen to make The Batman either a prequel or a reboot or something.

Honestly, the great majority of my personal investment in the DCEU at this exact moment is Affleck. If he drops out... yeah, I don't love my chances of sticking around either.

In other words, the Jake Gyllenhaal rumor might actually be right for once.