"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
It's good to see. Both Marvel and DC have to be careful, too much crossing over gives the notion that these characters can't stand on their own two feet.

I wonder if this will be a live action version of Arkham Asylum? The challenge with a stand alone film is that they need to give Batman a battle to fight worthy of telling on the big screen yet one with a valid reason why the rest of the justice league isn't showing up to help Batman.

Marvel has pretty much run the idea of a crossover into the ground. The first Avengers worked in part due to novelty. But simply seeing these characters hang around each other isn't as big a selling point anymore.

Looks like someone from WB is taking notes on that.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 24 Aug  2017, 19:04
Ok, sorry for the constant updates, but Matt Reeves took to twitter to clarify. He said the movie will still be in the DCEU, but it will be a standalone with no cameos of other characters in the Universe. So no Superman or WW cameos. This is exactly what he said, and you can even see them on his twitter:

In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman...not about the others in the Universe. That it wouldn't be filled with cameos servicing other stories -- that it would be a BATMAN story.

^ Further proof that Reeves is the right man for the job.

The Man of Steel and Wonder Woman treatment of keeping other characters out of the picture is the best way to go. We go to solo films to primarily see that character. I wouldn't have a problem with say, Superman appearing in Shazam, because let's face it, Shazam isn't the most known or loved character. But for a character like Batman, let him have the screen all to himself.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 24 Aug  2017, 23:40
Good to have that clarified. Ben as Batman inside the DCEU is what we want. I wouldn't be surprised if the Elseworlds rumor is largely a nothing burger with people jumping to conclusions, just like this instance. Even if the Joker film is going ahead, I don't see it impacting upon what the DCEU is doing with Affleck, Leto, etc. I think everything is going to be fine. We just need to chill. In the meantime, I'm excited for JL.

You know, the phrase "don't believe everything you hear" was spoken many times in life. But never has it been more relevant when Bruce uttered that line to Clark regarding the media speculation about Batman.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Aug  2017, 03:16
The Man of Steel and Wonder Woman treatment of keeping other characters out of the picture is the best way to go.

Agreed.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Aug  2017, 03:16We go to solo films to primarily see that character. I wouldn't have a problem with say, Superman appearing in Shazam, because let's face it, Shazam isn't the most known or loved character. But for a character like Batman, let him have the screen all to himself.

I hope Superman doesn't appear in the Shazam film. Captain Marvel has jobbed for Superman far too often over the years, just like Superman has jobbed for Batman way too many times. If they put Supes in the Shazam film it'll likely result in them fighting. If Captain Marvel loses, it'll perpetuate the sorry tradition of Superman owning him. If Superman loses, it'll mark the second time a DCEU hero has kicked his backside. I don't want either of these characters to become a punching bag for other heroes to prove their mettle.

Now if they had them team up as equals, that wouldn't be so bad. But I'd really prefer they just made Shazam and Man of Steel 2 as separate standalone films.

Aquaman is the only DCEU film out next year. And that's right at the end of 2018. Shazam will be out the following year. In terms of maintaining interest in the public, I think a Superman appearance would be a good idea. It will have been two straight years after Justice League. That's quite a long time when it comes to shared universes. Unless they get to work on JL2, Man of Steel 2 or some other film relatively soon during that timeframe.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 26 Aug  2017, 22:33
Aquaman is the only DCEU film out next year. And that's right at the end of 2018. Shazam will be out the following year.

I'm fine with the new Batman being a standalone like MOS and WW too. As long as Matt Reeves goes for a detective noir narrative as he promises, I'm keen. The only negative is it's a little unfortunate that the film will now likely come out in 2019 because of script rewrites.

But then again, a part of me is glad that's the case because there are simply way too many films coming out nowadays. The MCU is certainly more guilty of this with releasing THREE movies per year. That's too much, and to think I thought two was a lot! Once you start deliver to an assembly of films and focus on quantity rather than quality, your product will diminish. And in my opinion, that's has been the biggest problem with the MCU this year. So maybe those who are running the DCEU have learned the lesson that it's better to focus your energy on delivering one quality film, if Aquaman remains the only one coming out next year.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

From recent USA Today article

QuoteThe new Batman movie being developed by Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) is "something I'm contemplating," says Affleck, who originally was tapped to direct. "You don't do it forever, so I want to find a graceful and cool way to segue out of it."

Sounds like he really wants out.

Quote from: Travesty on Mon, 13 Nov  2017, 19:19
From recent USA Today article

QuoteThe new Batman movie being developed by Matt Reeves (War for the Planet of the Apes) is "something I'm contemplating," says Affleck, who originally was tapped to direct. "You don't do it forever, so I want to find a graceful and cool way to segue out of it."

Sounds like he really wants out.
Today just keeps getting better and better...