"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Let's have a look at what this article states.
QuoteThe studio is working on plans to usher out Affleck's Batman gracefully, a source says, addressing the change in some shape or form in one of the upcoming DC films.
Okay. But then it goes on to state:
QuoteHowever, the studio's current line is Affleck is still all-in, with studio chief Toby Emmerich saying, "Ben is our Batman. We love him as Batman. We want to keep him in the cowl as long as we can.
So which one is it?

I don't think it's a mistake they added this little gem:
QuoteExactly when and how that might happen has yet to be determined, but it would be wise to bet against Affleck starring in The Batman.
Yeah, because this all might turn out to be false, right?

The rest of the article is pure conjecture, talking about ageism and creating dual Batmen.

Let's see what happens.

Oh, I'm definitely in a "wait and see" approach, as this has been a rumor going around for a solid 6-8 months, now.

Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 20:59 #122 Last Edit: Sat, 22 Jul 2017, 21:16 by Travesty
Well, looks like Affleck himself squashed the rumors. From what he said, it looks like he loves playing Batman, and wants to continue under Matt Reeves.

QuoteThe move came a day after The Hollywood Reporter revealed that the studio was exploring options to potentially set the stage for a Batman recasting.

"Let me be very clear," Affleck said Saturday during Warner Bros.' Comic-Con panel, "I am the luckiest guy in the world. Batman is the coolest part in the universe. I'm so thrilled to do it. It's f***ing amazing."

He said that after two film appearances as Batman, he still can't believe he gets to play the part and underlined that he has talked to Warners' heads Kevin Tsujihara, Sue Kroll and Toby Emmerich about the role.

"'We want you to be the Batman' they told me, and I believe them," he said.

He then brought up Matt Reeves' movie in development and exclaimed, "I would be an ape on the ground for Matt Reeves!"

Later in the presentation, he reiterated that he loves "being in Hall H and being able to say 'I'm Batman.'"

The crowd cheered at his soothing words, although it remains unclear in what direction Reeves' Batman will ultimately go.

Reeves is set to direct The Batman and has eyes on making a trilogy with the character. Reeves has dropped a script by Affleck and Geoff Johns, and Affleck once was attached to direct himself.

No release date has been set for The Batman. Justice League opens Nov. 17.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-denies-hes-exiting-as-batman-at-comic-con-1023603

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnREl3UKG0Y

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 22 Jul  2017, 20:59
Well, looks like Affleck himself squashed the rumors. From what he said, it looks like he loves playing Batman, and wants to continue under Matt Reeves.

Cool. But don't expect the clickbait trash to put that rumour out to pasture. Especially those hacks from Collider.

I can't help but suspect there is this agenda to try to drive Affleck out of the franchise.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm going to channel The Fleck for a moment and say it's f***ing good to hear this. If there's any truth whatsoever to the rumors in the first place it's probably regarding money. Matt Reeves played a smart game in regards to his contract negotiations. To raise your price you have to be willing to walk away because you don't want to seem desperate. It's business 101. What I'm liking about the DCEU so far is the continuity. If they can avoid recasting issues, ala Katie Holmes vacating her role after BB, the better everything will be.

Honestly after reading all the false rumours about Wonder woman and Batman v Superman, I'm not taking any stock into any rumours I hear about the DCEU until considering the source. Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know but Affleck and Reeves are both publicly praising each other in public and that's good enough for me. Do you think Affleck would be saying what he just said there if he figured this might be his last turn with the cowl? He'd look like a fool and he knows it.

There were so many great announcements at the MCU, including Michelle Pfeiffer being revealed as Janet Van Dyne, and the awesome new trailers for Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League.  But perhaps the best news was the confirmation that Affleck will be staying as Batman for Matt Reeves' proposed The Batman trilogy. :)  I feel that Affleck has the potential to be the best Batman/Bruce Wayne ever (he certainly comes the closest of any of the Batman actors since Adam West to looking the part).  Now he just needs a film that lives up to that promise (and please take note, I'm not dissing Batman v Superman, which I think is perfectly fine and far better than the majority of the critics said but just not the classic I think Affleck and Reeves can potentially deliver).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

It's a slow day for fake news today, so here is Kevin Conroy praising Ben Affleck's portrayal, when asked about what he thought about the live-action franchise in an interview.

Quote from: Kevin Conroy
You know, I thought it was weird when Warner Bros. didn't give the franchise to one actor when they first started doing the films. You just assumed they were going to cast a Batman and he was going to carry the whole franchise. But then when I saw the different ones — Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer, [George Clooney], and Christian Bale — all the different takes, this was really smart, because each actor does it so differently. And I love seeing all the different takes. I think some of them get Bruce Wayne more than they get Batman, and some of them get Batman more than they get Bruce Wayne. I think Ben Affleck has probably gotten the best balance of the two. He's a really good Bruce Wayne and a really good Batman.

Source: http://batman-news.com/2017/07/25/kevin-conroy-ben-affleck-best-batman-bruce-wayne/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I think Ben Affleck has probably gotten the best balance of the two. He's a really good Bruce Wayne and a really good Batman.

Completely agree.

Is he believable as a crimefighter? Yes.
Is he believable as a playboy? Yes.
Is he believable as a businessman? Yes.

I think he's the culmination of all the recent Batmen's best traits. He has Keaton's introspection for his parents, Kilmer's ability to realize vengeance has consumed him, Clooney's reputation as a playboy and Bale's muscular body. I also like that Bruce Wayne is once again a well respected community member, ala the Adam West days. He's not thought of as a weirdo, ala Keaton. He's not thought of as a clueless rich dude who does nothing all day.

Those are both completely valid takes, but I prefer it this way.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 26 Jul  2017, 12:40
I think Ben Affleck has probably gotten the best balance of the two. He's a really good Bruce Wayne and a really good Batman.

Completely agree.

Is he believable as a crimefighter? Yes.
Is he believable as a playboy? Yes.
Is he believable as a businessman? Yes.

I think he's the culmination of all the recent Batmen's best traits. He has Keaton's introspection for his parents, Kilmer's ability to realize vengeance has consumed him, Clooney's reputation as a playboy and Bale's muscular body. I also like that Bruce Wayne is once again a well respected community member, ala the Adam West days. He's not thought of as a weirdo, ala Keaton. He's not thought of as a clueless rich dude who does nothing all day.

Those are both completely valid takes, but I prefer it this way.

I do agree. one difficult aspect of the character I don't think any of the films except possibly Batman & Robin got quite right was exactly how Bruce Wayne acts in order to deter suspicions of his dual identity Keatons character was a little too reclusive and private to the point that it wouldn't have been surprising to find out his identity given just how private and odd he is. Kilmer is  tough to judge because his character was considering retiring as Batman. Bale went too far acting like a ditz, his Bruce Wayne goes from rather industrious and innovative in BB, sleeping through business meetings in TDK, and a complete idiot in TDK. Affleck gets it just right. He acts a little bit aloof when he needs to at Luthors party while he's doing his detective work but in a subtle way.