"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 22 Mar  2017, 14:13But right now, I find it more despicable that clickbait garbage like Collider, Screen Junkies et al are using Affleck's alcohol problems to spin their negativity about the franchise. Especially that sellout John Campea. He had been dickriding on Affleck since the casting was first announced, and called him the best Batman we've had, but now he's gleefully spreading rumours about him leaving the role. I hold that man with utmost contempt right now. Clickbait scum are doing far more damage than fan sites right now, as long as people keep paying attention to them.
That's over the line. Exploiting someone else's addiction just to drive traffic to your site and inflict professional and personal harm upon them is beneath contempt.

I mean, it's legitimate news. And I get that. Not big news but still news. But there's a difference between reporting on the stuff and savoring every last drop of misery in the story. It's a little sick... and that's partly because this isn't the worst problem someone could have. I'm not trying to minimize Affleck's addiction but it's not like being an alcoholic is all that unusual. Exploiting this story so much as they have when it's barely newsworthy at all except that it relates to Affleck, you know?

The sad thing is, depending on how dire the circumstances are in Affleck's personal life, it wouldn't surprise me if he would want to leave.

The pathetic, hypocritical complaining some people made over his characterisation in BvS is disgusting and delusional, considering what we saw in previous films over the years. For example, look at Jon Schnepp from Collider. He's one of the sheep who bitches about Batman killing, ignoring the fact the only film he never killed anyone was B&R. You'd think somebody who watched all the films in the live action Batman catalog would know that by know, but apparently not, and I still need to be a dead horse about it to try get people to come to their senses (which is a lost cause).

But what's more outrageous is the overblown fuss and speculation about the pending solo Batman film. Seriously, if you're really in a bad frame of mind when you're trying to overcome an addiction AND reconciling a broken marriage (as I understand his current situation with Jennifer Garner), what are you going to choose as your main priority? Family, or making a film? Considering how ungrateful Campea is behaving recently despite liking the DC films and a few others on that stupid Collider show, I'd get sick and tired of been bothered by questions of "when's the next Batman coming out" too. Especially if they're just going to be ungrateful pricks about it. After all, there is more to life than movies.

I seriously hope I'm wrong, but with scumbags like this persisting on the rumour in light of Affleck trying to sort himself out personally, I'm getting worried. It does feel like they're trying to force him out for the sake of clicks, the bastards.

But then again if I were to think about it logically, there are contractual agreements that make this too complicated to abandon, and I doubt WB would want to let Affleck go and replace him with somebody else. And as irritating as Collider are, they're not exactly journalists either. They're know-nothing bloggers who happen to have an outlet to voice their meaningless opinions and are no genuine than you, me or anyone else.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 23 Mar  2017, 11:02
I seriously hope I'm wrong, but with scumbags like this persisting on the rumour in light of Affleck trying to sort himself out personally, I'm getting worried. It does feel like they're trying to force him out for the sake of clicks, the bastards.

But then again if I were to think about it logically, there are contractual agreements that make this too complicated to abandon, and I doubt WB would want to let Affleck go and replace him with somebody else. And as irritating as Collider are, they're not exactly journalists either. They're know-nothing bloggers who happen to have an outlet to voice their meaningless opinions and are no genuine than you, me or anyone else.
The modern media is largely about proving established narratives. They shut out anything that goes against that narrative and play up the drama. The bloggers love it. They relish it. For example, if Ben Affleck cured cancer the haters would say "but what about the other diseases?!" If Affleck walked on water, they'd instead say he can't swim. And substitute Ben's name with anyone the media chooses the hate. It's really annoying - believe me, I know. But I honestly think this stuff only appeals to the people who weren't on board with whatever is being attacked in the first place.

I'm aware of Ben's alcohol issues via headlines, but I haven't read any of the articles. That's his business. Personally, I think Batfleck is going to turn out fine.  Justice League is coming out in November. That's a good length of time for Ben to chill out before promotional duties commence. The fact he already has another Batman appearance in the can helps. They'll tidy up The Batman and get filming when the time is right.

When filming does start the bloggers in question won't admit they were wrong. They'll simply change their line of attack. It's always the way it goes. Perhaps they'll say there's tensions on set. That Affleck is drinking on set or the script itself is poor. Take your pick. It's a never ending game.

Don't care if they replace him, Batman as a character can go through multiple actors like he has done in the past.  Also, they replaced the actor for the Incredible Hulk and nobody cried that that was the end of the MCU (that I know of).

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu, 23 Mar  2017, 14:13Don't care if they replace him, Batman as a character can go through multiple actors like he has done in the past.  Also, they replaced the actor for the Incredible Hulk and nobody cried that that was the end of the MCU (that I know of).
If you mean replacing Eric Bana, people threw hissy fits over that. Not a huge number of people but quite a few. That Hulk movie was the Superman Returns of its time, with people swearing by it even though it was lackluster at best.

If you mean replacing Norton, people threw fits over that too. Arguably more people, in fact. And some of it has stuck too because for as good as Ruffalo is, he's a bit portly to begin with while Norton was able to slim himself down for the role. I personally wish Norton had stuck around.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu, 23 Mar  2017, 14:13
Don't care if they replace him, Batman as a character can go through multiple actors like he has done in the past.

Maybe they shouldn't have done that in the past.  ;)

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu, 23 Mar  2017, 14:13
Also, they replaced the actor for the Incredible Hulk and nobody cried that that was the end of the MCU (that I know of).

I'm with colors, I rather wished they kept Edward Norton.

The latest Justice League trailer has relieved my concerns for now. But what annoys me is some fools are drawing comparisons between Affleck's real life alcohol addiction to the scene in BvS where Bruce wakes up from the mausoleum nightmare in his bedroom and sips a glass of bourbon. They're claiming art imitates life. As matter of fact, I remember some moron on Superhero Hype last year complained "you can't follow up Nolan's take by having an alcoholic Batman killing people with guns". Mind you: A) this putz hadn't even seen the film at the time, and B) Nolan's take used guns despite saying he was against them. So much for logic.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sat,  1 Apr  2017, 23:56
The latest Justice League trailer has relieved my concerns for now.
What concerns did you have?
But what annoys me is some fools are drawing comparisons between Affleck's real life alcohol addiction to the scene in BvS where Bruce wakes up from the mausoleum nightmare in his bedroom and sips a glass of bourbon. They're claiming art imitates life. As matter of fact, I remember some moron on Superhero Hype last year complained "you can't follow up Nolan's take by having an alcoholic Batman killing people with guns". Mind you: A) this putz hadn't even seen the film at the time, and B) Nolan's take used guns despite saying he was against them. So much for logic.
Just be like Zack Snyder and hurl thunderbolts at them.

Savage Zack Snyder is the best Zack Snyder.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 02:03
The latest Justice League trailer has relieved my concerns for now.
What concerns did you have?

My concerns had nothing to do with JL, but the Affleck quitting rumours. Not exactly very rational, I know, but I got too preoccupied with the gossip surrounding his involvement with the franchise. You know, the BS rhetoric that "BvS made Batman beyond redemption and DC is no fun that even Affleck wants out". Must stay away from fake news.

Howabout GERIATRIC BATMAN..since he'll be 50 years old by release

It's amazing to me that either Affleck still has a stigma around him or that people try to stick a stigma on him. When he was cast as Batman, there were a lot of people who instantly ignored his growth as an actor and a filmmaker and went right back to Daredevil and his Michael Bay/Kevin Smith years. Now I'm hearing alcoholism and his age?

Quote from: BatmanRoguesGalleryMovie on Sun, 23 Apr  2017, 02:09
Howabout GERIATRIC BATMAN..since he'll be 50 years old by release

That just seems like a pointless snark. For one thing, this is supposed to be a seasoned Batman, considering one of the main inspirations for Batman v Superman was The Dark Knight Returns, which featured an aging Batman.

This comment reminds of something I saw on Reelz once. Iron Man had just come out and they had accumulated a bunch of 20 year olds who don't even care about their movies and asked their opinions on it. One kid said,"Why is Gwyneth Paltrow there? It's like Robert Downey Jr. is dating his mom!" Robert Downey Jr. is 7 years older than Paltrow.