"The Batman" - NO SPOILERS

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 3 Oct 2016, 21:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 18 Feb  2017, 21:51
Of course we haven't reached that stage yet, and there's no reason to assume it will come to that. But one thing's for sure - they need to get a move on and hire a director. Time's running out if they want to meet their 2018 release date.
No they haven't, and I hope you're right, because for all my issues with the DCEU, I still think Affleck is great casting as Batman/Bruce Wayne (if that decision came straight from Snyder, I have to give him kudos for at least something).  So, I hope Affleck gets the opportunity to make at least one truly great Batman movie.  I still believe he has the potential to be the best live-action Batman ever, but the only thing that's stopping him is at least one truly great movie in the part.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Well, it looks like the rumors were false, and Matt Reeves is the director. He signed, and it's official now.

Quote"We are thrilled to have Matt Reeves taking the helm of Batman, the crown jewel of our DC slate," said Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. "Matt's deep roots in genre films and his evolution into an emotional world-building director make him the perfect filmmaker to guide the Dark Knight through this next journey."

Reeves added, "I have loved the Batman story since I was a child. He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen."
In The Batman, Ben Affleck will face off as the title hero against Joe Manganiello, who will play Slade Wilson, aka Deathstroke, in the film. Additional appearances by Jeremy Irons as Alfred and J.K. Simmons as Commissioner Gordon are expected to happen as well.

Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 23:58 #72 Last Edit: Fri, 24 Feb 2017, 00:03 by The Dark Knight
Where are all the doom and gloom Batfleck/DCEU haters now? They had their biased pile on...but they've been proven wrong again. The major script rewrite rumor was fake news and Reeves has now been confirmed as the director. We get Reeves AND a Nightwing solo film. It turned out even better than first imagined.

So called fans thought WB would reboot after Justice League. So called fans thought the likes of Reeves wouldn't touch the DCEU with a barge pole. So called fans will continue to push the 'Affleck is going to leave' narrative because they still want to be on the front foot. This franchise is going from strength to strength.

I reiterate:
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 11 Feb  2017, 06:35
The film is gathering pace now. Affleck vacating the director's chair could've bogged things down, but thankfully that didn't happen. They've found someone quickly, and the choice itself seems fine with me. I'm also cool with this because Affleck is still going to have input - he co-wrote the script. And as we know, they're happy with the script now.

This is happening.

I'm really pleased with this news.  I was excited the first time Reeves' name was announced, severely disappointed when it was (erroneously it now appears) stated that he'd pulled out due to a breakdown in contractual negotiations, and now I'm ecstatic that he's now been confirmed as having signed his name on the dotted line.

Maybe that's what we needed.  False negative news followed-up by a genuine update confirming Reeves' involvement.  The news is all the sweeter after that initial disappointment.

As a fan of Cloverfield and the last Planet of the Apes film, my expectations are high, especially since I've always maintained that irrespective of my other misgivings concerning the DCEU, Ben Affleck is nigh-on perfect casting as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and deserves a shot at making the definitive solo Batman film.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

This is very good news. I expect the 2018 release date will be on schedule then.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 23 Feb  2017, 23:58
The major script rewrite rumor was fake news and Reeves has now been confirmed as the director. We get Reeves AND a Nightwing solo film. It turned out even better than first imagined.

This. The Nightwing film being in development is something I never entertained the thought of happening.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Burton
Snyder
Reeves

Each have six letters in their surname. He's in very good company!

Good to see Affleck and Reeves greeting each other on Twitter as well. Affleck is my favorite live action Batman so this confirmation makes me really happy. It puts a spring in my step knowing he's already filmed Justice League (where he has a major role) and has another film lined up all to himself. He'll be on par with Bale at three films at the very least, not counting the SS cameos.

In the long term, I think handing over directorial responsibilities could really help Affleck. He just has to focus on acting the part part now, and has less chance of burning out. If they get films in the can and give the actors decent breaks in between, ala JL, I think it's possible to keep the actors on board and satisfied.

Say, for example, Affleck does major appearances as Batman/Bruce Wayne every two or so years, with minor cameos in other DCEU properties in the downtime. Justice League 2 may be his next big role after The Batman.

I'm guessing Nightwing will have a cameo appearance in The Batman at some point, leading in to his solo film. I'm thinking the blue chest emblem would be the way to go, ala Arkham Knight, especially after the red emblem appearing in Batman and Robin. Oracle would be a bonus as well. I'm open to Tim Drake appearing as well, but if not, that's not a deal breaker. Jason Todd will probably be staying dead for the time being.

All in all, it's good news.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 24 Feb  2017, 11:53
This is very good news. I expect the 2018 release date will be on schedule then.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 23 Feb  2017, 23:58
The major script rewrite rumor was fake news and Reeves has now been confirmed as the director. We get Reeves AND a Nightwing solo film. It turned out even better than first imagined.

This. The Nightwing film being in development is something I never entertained the thought of happening.

I'm so excited about all this, it's a great time to be a Batman fan!  :)

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 24 Feb  2017, 19:35
I'm so excited about all this, it's a great time to be a Batman fan!  :)

It definitely is, but there is still one news clickbait outlet continuing to run the "Affleck is leaving" rumour, despite the fact that the man himself welcomed Matt Reeves on Twitter. No wonder why I don't pay any attention to Collider anymore. ::)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

See, it didn't take long. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm talking about. Affleck officially welcomes the new director via Twitter and people read that as 'Affleck is quitting'. The haters have to pour cold water on good news somehow. And people wonder why news credibility is at an all time low.

What's annoying about Collider - the tabloid clikcbait outlet insisting that rumour is possible - is that they appear to be ambivalent about the DCEU. The lead guy there, John Campea, loved MOS and calls it a masterpiece and liked BvS and SS, while others on the internet show have rather mixed opinions. But when they watched the Ultimate Edition for BvS, they talked about "wow, THIS was the version that should've been released in cinemas, f*** the theatrical cut".

But now they're eager to persist on gossip and sell out to clickbait tactics, because when it comes to the DCEU, it seems negativity sells. Even if the rumour is completely baseless, they'll spin it anyway.

Another common issue I see from clickbait outlets is they spell doom when directors drop out of films before production starts, or reshoots are scheduled. This isn't only exclusive to the DCEU, it happens all the time in the industry. Besides, the MCU films had to undergo rewrites and reshoots and change of directors, even a pay dispute between actors at one stage.