Paul Dano is The Riddler

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 18:19

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 19 Mar  2022, 16:28
Dano delivered a compelling new take on the Riddler and anything that offers us more insight into the workings of Nashton's devious mind has the potential to be very interesting indeed. I'll give it a read when it comes out.
I have no idea what he's like as a person, but to me, Dano comes across as genuinely sincere and enthusiastic in his interviews. I'm inclined to think he could give worthwhile contributions to the story while working within canon guidelines.

The film gives us a fair idea what The Riddler thinks about Bruce Wayne. I'd like to see more about how he feels about Batman in the comic somewhere. The film touches upon a kindred spirit theme, but there's room to expand upon it. 

While I'm here, I'll add Riddler's first scene is one of the best. The way he blends in to the background of the room, strikes like a wild animal, and then takes his sweet time to enjoy the taping process. But afterwards he still needs more. As another killer once said, "the fantasy that accompanies and generates the anticipation that precedes the crime is always more stimulating than the immediate aftermath of the crime itself."

Jim Carrey on Paul Dano's Riddler:

QuoteWe asked Carrey if he had any thoughts on the new Riddler, to which he said: "I've not seen it. It's a very dark version. I have mixed emotions about it. To each his own and all that. I love him as an actor, he's a tremendous actor."

Citing The Batman's grimmer tone, he continued: "There's a spot of worry in me over gaffer-taping people's faces and encouraging people to do the same. Some sickos out there that might adopt that method.

"I do have a conscience about the things I choose. Robotnik has cartoon bombs and no-one gets hurt. I know there's a place for it, and I don't want to criticise it, but it's not my kind of thing... it's very well done, those movies are very well done."
https://www.unilad.co.uk/film-and-tv/jim-carrey-has-mixed-emotions-about-paul-danos-riddler-20220329

I liked Dano's Riddler. Don't get me wrong. But I have the feeling the sequel needs to up its game in terms of the next main villain. Especially when I consider the likes of Neeson, Ledger and Hardy from the Nolan series. There could possibly be an interesting side effect of giving Batman more screen time in the sense the villains lack the same level of impact from the films of yesteryear. I think Batman needs to have a more direct physical confrontation with whoever they choose next time, especially in contrast to the mind games of The Riddler.

That's true. As much as Hardy got a more mixed reaction, he absolutely put Bane back into the public conversation and elevated Hardy's star power as well. Not so much for Dano and Riddler.

TB's Riddler is good and fits the movie, but is definitely understated in comparison to the likes of Hardy's Bane, who was the last great cinematic Batman villain in my opinion. He had real presence whenever he appeared courtesy of his booming voice, physique and mannerisms.

Jim Carrey gave The Riddler madness and energy that pushed the character to screen stealing levels. The 1990s Batman movies particularly didn't miss in the villain department. Batman and Robin gets lampooned but Freeze and Ivy aren't going to be forgotten anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hush is the villain for The Batman Part II, with Penguin and maybe another side villain filling in the story. If that was the case, Heart of Hush would be brilliant.

You could have Thomas Elliot impersonating Bruce (allowing Pattinson that screen time) and forcing the public playboy image into even more focus. Hush also has the obvious ties to Bruce's father and bringing Selina back into the story. Thematically it's all there - casting someone with serial killer charm would be essential to give it high impact.

Hush would feel more like a retread of what we got with Dano's Riddler. I feel like they already hit the Hush beats with this movie.

If not in Part II, do it for Part III as a full circle style conclusion. Just as TDK Rises brought back the League of Shadows. I think the material is too juicy to ignore outright, especially with the connection to Thomas Wayne being a doctor - which is emphasized in the first movie. There's lots of exciting possibilities though, as I'd really like the Court of Owls lurking around as well. Hopefully we get a clue as to what's happening later this year when filming starts.