Superman Rebirth!

Started by The Joker, Fri, 9 Sep 2016, 04:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Knowing there's a few other Superman fans around these parts, how are you guys enjoying the Superman Rebirth titles thus far?

Personally, it feels like DC is actually publishing Superman comics again. Which gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling in my cold black heart. Needless to say, I wasn't a avid supporter of the New52 version of Superman, mainly due to the utter lack of consistent direction, in addition to other decisions made with the character. With Post-Crises Supes back, along with his wife Lois, and now their son Jon, it's actually making me anticipate every new issue to see where the story is going. Which, after years of growing increasingly apathetic, feels nice.

Welcome back!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I've been thinking about giving it a shot. Apparently it's getting nothing but rave reviews. But DC has really burned a lot of bridges with me. So I may wait for the trades for them.

I'll wait for the trade for this one as well.

Earth One is my favorite modern day Superman portrayal so far.

I find it miles better than the New52 incarnation, and the storytelling that went along with it, but that's just personal preference. If you're waiting for the trades, the Superman titled book seems to be the favorite with it's Superman/Jon/Eradicator story arc. However, Action Comics gives the reader the moment where Clark abandons his incognito methods, making his full return as SUPERMAN in Metropolis, and has to deal with a returning Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Doomsday.

If you're sticking with trades, then the 8 issue Lois and Clark title is highly recommended. It will answer some of the questions regarding Superman that a reader might have going into Rebirth. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 11 Sep  2016, 23:53I find it miles better than the New52 incarnation, and the storytelling that went along with it, but that's just personal preference. If you're waiting for the trades, the Superman titled book seems to be the favorite with it's Superman/Jon/Eradicator story arc. However, Action Comics gives the reader the moment where Clark abandons his incognito methods, making his full return as SUPERMAN in Metropolis, and has to deal with a returning Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint Doomsday.

If you're sticking with trades, then the 8 issue Lois and Clark title is highly recommended. It will answer some of the questions regarding Superman that a reader might have going into Rebirth.
Thanks for the tips. The reading order was something I was planning to research.

So basically the L&C trade, then the Action: Rebirth trade and then the Superman: Rebirth trade. Is that about right?

Mind you, I'm not promising I'll actually do it. Just asking in case I decide to go for it.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 12 Sep  2016, 00:20
Thanks for the tips. The reading order was something I was planning to research.

So basically the L&C trade, then the Action: Rebirth trade and then the Superman: Rebirth trade. Is that about right?

That's absolutely correct.

Given that both story arcs are taking place simultaneously, it can be confusing for a reader walking in blindly. But yeah, Action is where Superman's full return to the public takes place.

QuoteMind you, I'm not promising I'll actually do it. Just asking in case I decide to go for it.

Of course.  :)

Soooo looking forward to seeing Wally West reunite with Superman in an upcoming issue of Titans.

Issue #7 to be more precise.

Considering both Wally and Superman have memories of Pre-New52, this should be a very interesting issue. Especially in the grand scheme of things in the ongoing story of REBIRTH as more and more Post-Crisis continuity is slowly being re-introduced into the still New52 world. Course there's also the ongoing the mystery of Mr. Oz and his connection to Superman, the 3 Joker's dilemma over in the Bat-books, and the DC heroes eventually confronting Dr. Manhattan, but so far, I'm very much enjoying the ride and build up to all those answers.

The new Superboy formally introduced.

Interesting how Batman and Superman have been made fathers in recent times. It's not my preference, but it's not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. When you have 75 years worth of history, you have to blow up the balloon in some fashion and try new things. It does add a new dimension to the characters. I warmed to Damien with time.

I can appreciate the fact that he's a commentary on Batman's very methods. Damien was raised under the LOS, and as such was a lot rougher and needed to be tamed. Batman had to scare him into showing respect, to make him a soldier who operated within his code. Which is rather interesting, and again contrasts against Superman who would be more loving and understanding as a parent. 

Mon, 16 Jan 2017, 03:15 #9 Last Edit: Mon, 16 Jan 2017, 03:17 by The Joker
Well, well, well. The April solicitations are in and it looks like the Man of Steel is finally breaking up all the blue since his formal re-introduction into the DCU with Rebirth!

"Say Jim, that's a bad outfit!"

Although I didn't mind the blue boots, it's one of those things you know is purely a short-term deal. The return of the red trunks down the line (Action Comics #1000 maybe!?!) would be cool, but if not, I would be content with this look hanging around for the long haul.

It's a damn sight better than the New52 overly busy with lines, armor, and that goofy collar!

Also, with the aftermath of "Superman Reborn", we have this:

Which may or may not suggest Superman gaining some of the New52 Superman's history. How this will be achieved, if at all, is pure speculation at this point. We know, since DC Rebirth began, that alot of the Post-Crisis/Pre-Flashpoint DCU history has been slowly but surely re-asserting itself. Even the Post-Crisis Doomsday returned, as opposed to the New52 version. In addition, the conclusion of Convergence & the Lois & Clark mini-series has also revealed that Crisis on Infinite Earths has been adverted. Which, as a major consequence in DC Comics lore, suggests there is currently no dividing line between Pre and Post crisis as it was for so many years. We've already seen Supes recount a Pre-Crisis adventure to Batman in the new TRINITY book who doesn't remember it at all (thanks Doc Manhattan!), so it appears as if that's the direction DC is going for. A Superman that is amalagated/reborn with every version of the character, and makes one ultimate Superman.