Interview - Mac McDonald Joker Goon in Batman 89

Started by Paul (ral), Tue, 6 Sep 2016, 20:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I've just posted the interview I did with Mac McDonald a while ago.

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2016/9/6/mac-mcdonald-interview-joker-goon-actor-in-batman-1989

Mac was an absolute gentleman and very open. There is some very revealing stuff. Hope you enjoy it!

Great interview, Paul. I appreciate you posting this.

That was a great read, kind of sad to see there was a lot more going for his part before it got chopped down before filming.

Also, makes Jack out to be pretty weird and rude, can't really say I'm surprised.

Love this interview! Mac sounds like a really down-to-earth guy. I never realised he was in The Empire Strikes back until now. But one Google search later, and there he is:

So that's three of my favourite films he appeared in: TESB, Aliens and Batman. It's nice to hear Keaton did some of the fighting during the alley scene, as I always thought Dave Lee performed that entire sequence. It's also interesting to hear that a stand-in was used for much of Nicholson's scenes.

On the subject of Batman/Red Dwarf connections, does anyone remember this statue that Lister plants in Ackerman's quarters in the series XIII episode 'Krytie TV'?

Look familiar?

It was in Vicki's apartment in Batman 89.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 31 Jan  2017, 20:46
On the subject of Batman/Red Dwarf connections, does anyone remember this statue that Lister plants in Ackerman's quarters in the series XIII episode 'Krytie TV'?

Look familiar?

It was in Vicki's apartment in Batman 89.

I've been re-watching all the Alien films over the past few nights, and what did I spot in the background of the mess hall in Alien 3? That same damn statue.

In fact there's more than one of them.

From Gotham City to Fury 161 to Red Dwarf. These things must've been really in vogue with set dressers for a time.

Appropriately enough, Mac McDonald connects all three franchises.

Rewatching the film in HD, I can barely tell him and Terry Plummer's character apart in the museum scenes since they're the only ones dressed identically right down to a gray ballcap and sunglasses. They even have similar facial scar prosthetics; the only difference is one had an open coat and one was zipped up.

Though once they departed, it's clear that Macdonald was in the car that wasn't trapped since he was part of the alley fight and got a line before being tossed aside by Batman. Plummer was in the car driven by Philip Tan with George Lane Cooper in the backseat that was trapped in the ensuing accident (but somehow managed to escape around all the police cars for the final act).