Cutting Edge - Batman Forever

Started by galenj01, Sun, 14 Aug 2016, 19:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Sun, 14 Aug 2016, 19:35 Last Edit: Mon, 15 Aug 2016, 13:55 by galenj01
If anyone is interested i stumbled on this video on YouTube.

It is an in depth analysis (30 minutes) of the movie censorship around the film.

Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

for some reason it doesnt work for me in chrome. I viewed it in Firefox and works fine.
Ohhhh, that looks like fun! Lemme try! *Lemme try!* Ball up the fist, reach way back, and assert your... OW!!

Quote from: galenj01 on Mon, 15 Aug  2016, 19:52
for some reason it doesnt work for me in chrome. I viewed it in Firefox and works fine.

I have the same problem. All I see in Chrome is a vertical rectangle, but the video appears in Firefox. I pressed right-click on the mouse in Chrome and it appears that browser is still using Flash, which is fast becoming an obsolete video format. It should've been replaced with HTML5 by now.

With that technical explanation out of the way, thanks for the video. I'll spend some time watching it as soon as I can.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

cheers laughing fish - i thought my laptop was screwed.

Back to the video, i thought it was very informative. I enjoyed it a lot.

No worries galenjo1.

I've finished watching most of the video. I'm rather surprised that the film was cut so heavily in the UK. Was the British Classification board always this strict, or was their decision making influenced because of the backlash surrounding the tone and violence in Batman Returns?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

As a Brit i was shocked. I remember having Batman Forever on VHS when i was younger - which was the cut version. I didnt realise there was an "uncut" version. So I never realised there was a scene with Nygma and Stickley on the edge of the dam. When i first got it on DVD and watched the aforementioned scene with all the cuts added in i was shocked, i thought there had been a mistake with the transfer lol.

Back to the question - i'm inclined to think Returns had something to do with it. I think the BBFC were really careful what was shown to kids. As they didnt want the same thing to happen again.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 18 Aug  2016, 13:03
No worries galenjo1.
I'm rather surprised that the film was cut so heavily in the UK. Was the British Classification board always this strict, or was their decision making influenced because of the backlash surrounding the tone and violence in Batman Returns?
UK editing is weak like this. It happens a lot. Just release the damned film as it was intended.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 19 Aug  2016, 01:08
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 18 Aug  2016, 13:03
No worries galenjo1.
I'm rather surprised that the film was cut so heavily in the UK. Was the British Classification board always this strict, or was their decision making influenced because of the backlash surrounding the tone and violence in Batman Returns?
UK editing is weak like this. It happens a lot. Just release the damned film as it was intended.

I suppose it goes to show that for all the complaints about how 'campy' Batman Forever was, it was still a dark film. But I totally agree with your point. I wish WB released BvS and SS as they were intended from the beginning as well, but there's no point crying about it now.