Suicide Squad Box Office Thread

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 3 Aug 2016, 18:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Suicide Squad just had its first weekend of less than $2 million. This coming weekend will be its 10th in theaters. And unless the movie loses a LOT of theaters between now and then (which I suppose is possible), it won't likely drop beneath $1 million for that weekend's haul.

I must say, the movie has pretty impressive legs. Star Trek Beyond dropped below the $1 million weekend threshold back in its 7th weekend. Suicide Squad isn't there yet even in weekend #9.

When all is said and done, the movie will have nearly doubled its budget in the US and done nearly 2.5 times its budget internationally. The worldwide haul presently stands at $738 million. Anybody who's ashamed of those numbers needs his head examined.

By any standard, Suicide Squad was a major hit.

The movie played in fewer than a thousand theaters last weekend (its tenth weekend) and it STILL grossed over a million dollars.

There's just no arguing the film's legs. I was originally expecting it to have a sub-million dollar weekend no later than weekend #7. And let's be realistic, weekend #11 probably will be less than $1 million. But that's probably only because it'll lose more theaters.

WB has a lot to take pride in when it comes to Suicide Squad. This movie started off as a joke and has gone on to become one of the breakout movies of this year. I saw a lot of Harley costumes (of various types) when I went to a costume party at my step daughter's elementary school. Some kid put together his own Deadshot outfit too.

These characters are bigger than any of us (or at least I) ever thought.