Daniel Waters discusses Batman Returns

Started by johnnygobbs, Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnygobbs

And describes his vision for the sadly unrealised solo Catwoman movie.

http://www.money-into-light.com/2016/06/daniel-waters-on-batman-returns.html

I love this final statement: "The popular kids and the jocks love Christopher Nolan's Batman movies but the really downtrodden, quirky and imaginative kids growing up love BATMAN RETURNS."  So true. :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

BatmAngelus

Thanks for the link.

Had no idea that Waters was going to include Alexander Knox just to kill him off or feature Harvey's scarring. Closest we've got is a previous interview where he just says that we see Harvey/Two-Face flipping a coin on whether to interfere.

Wish that he had clarified that Max Shreck was never originally Harvey Dent, though. The idea that Shreck used to be Dent was an IMDB rumor that just won't die. Kinda like how everyone says Burton's Batman Forever would've had Robin Williams as Riddler and Rene Russo as Chase Meridian when those were both Schumacher's choices (and Chase Meridian didn't exist until Burton was off the director's chair).
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

johnnygobbs

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed, 29 Jun  2016, 21:34Wish that he had clarified that Max Shreck was never originally Harvey Dent, though. The idea that Shreck used to be Dent was an IMDB rumor that just won't die. Kinda like how everyone says Burton's Batman Forever would've had Robin Williams as Riddler and Rene Russo as Chase Meridian when those were both Schumacher's choices (and Chase Meridian didn't exist until Burton was off the director's chair).
I totally agree, although everything he said in the interview suggested that Shreck was a totally original character that didn't grow out of Harvey Dent.

Since he doesn't make any categorical denial that Shreck was originally Dent, the rumour/myth will no doubt continue, but I think it's safe to say that on balance there is nothing to link the two characters.

Dagenspear

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed, 29 Jun  2016, 17:09And describes his vision for the sadly unrealised solo Catwoman movie.

http://www.money-into-light.com/2016/06/daniel-waters-on-batman-returns.html

I love this final statement: "The popular kids and the jocks love Christopher Nolan's Batman movies but the really downtrodden, quirky and imaginative kids growing up love BATMAN RETURNS."  So true. :)
I have never in my life, not once ever been considered popular or a jock by humans. And I like both. What he's saying is also seemingly an attempt to insult people. There's no truth in this statement, just like there would be no truth in the same statement about how BR is for jocks and TDKT is for quirky imaginatives. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

JokerMeThis

QuoteI love this final statement: "The popular kids and the jocks love Christopher Nolan's Batman movies but the really downtrodden, quirky and imaginative kids growing up love BATMAN RETURNS."  So true. :)

This kind of applies to me. I can't say I was unpopular or downtrodden but I was in no sense a jock and I was definitely quirky and imaginative when I was in school and I LOVED Batman Returns when I first saw it at age 15. I wouldn't have been as impressed by the Nolan Batman movies if they were around back then in the 1990's.

The Dark Knight

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed, 29 Jun  2016, 21:34
Had no idea that Waters was going to include Alexander Knox just to kill him off
Not sure how I feel about this. It could've been dramatic and heartfelt or tacked on and cheap. I guess it doesn't matter either way, but interesting to mull over regardless.

thecolorsblend

Quote from: Dagenspear on Thu, 30 Jun  2016, 05:06I have never in my life, not once ever been considered popular or a jock by humans. And I like both. What he's saying is also seemingly an attempt to insult people. There's no truth in this statement, just like there would be no truth in the same statement about how BR is for jocks and TDKT is for quirky imaginatives.
It's entirely possible that his comments related to the casual moviegoer rather than core fans like us. In any case, it's only his opinion.

Another way of looking at it is asking if Batman, in the purest, most idealized conception of the character, is supposed to have widespread mainstream appeal or if he's supposed to only be attractive to outsider, misfit types who relate to him on a base personal level.

Me, there's no harm in making room for the Burton wing of the fanbase as well as the Nolan wing in my opinion.

GBglide

I would not have been happy with killing off Alexander Knox, Robert Wuhl is just too likeable.

The Dark Knight

Quote from: GBglide on Thu, 30 Jun  2016, 20:39
I would not have been happy with killing off Alexander Knox, Robert Wuhl is just too likeable.
I think ultimately, it was best not having Knox in the film. Apart from the mainstays of Hingle, Keaton and Gough, everything and everyone else was new. Batman Returns had the continuity, but it also represented something of a fresh start. A different perspective on the same world.

johnnygobbs

Quote from: Dagenspear on Thu, 30 Jun  2016, 05:06
I have never in my life, not once ever been considered popular or a jock by humans. And I like both. What he's saying is also seemingly an attempt to insult people. There's no truth in this statement, just like there would be no truth in the same statement about how BR is for jocks and TDKT is for quirky imaginatives. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!
I am sorry if I caused offence.  I was only reporting what Daniel Waters said.

I don't always feel like an unpopular, quirky misfit, and I like TDK, but I just feel that Batman Returns appeals to the insecure outcast side of my personality.  Tim Burton's films have always had that affinity with outsiders.