TDK Joker's daddy issues

Started by The Laughing Fish, Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 12:53

Previous topic - Next topic
It has occurred to me that for all the complaints about Jesse Eisenberg's Lex's "daddy issues" and projecting them against Superman in BvS, TDK's Joker clearly had his own distaste for his father.

It's the most consistent thing this Joker says or does in this film; from describing how his dad allegedly murdered his mother before scarring him, and tells that old geezer he reminded him of his dad, who he hated. As much as the film portrays him as some sort of unreliable narrator, I can't help but feel there is some truth to his angst towards his dad. So I think it's hypocritical for some people to slate the BvS Lex for being an "unlikable, inhumane piece of sh*t with daddy issues"...when the same thing can easily be applied to TDK's Joker too.

Thoughts?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 27 Jun  2016, 12:53
It has occurred to me that for all the complaints about Jesse Eisenberg's Lex's "daddy issues" and projecting them against Superman in BvS, TDK's Joker clearly had his own distaste for his father.

It's the most consistent thing this Joker says or does in this film; from describing how his dad allegedly murdered his mother before scarring him, and tells that old geezer he reminded him of his dad, who he hated. As much as the film portrays him as some sort of unreliable narrator, I can't help but feel there is some truth to his angst towards his dad. So I think it's hypocritical for some people to slate the BvS Lex for being an "unlikable, inhumane piece of sh*t with daddy issues"...when the same thing can easily be applied to TDK's Joker too.

Thoughts?
I never really took it that seriously. If anything I always thought the story about his wife had more truth to it, because he seemed to have a stronger emotional reaction. Plus I like the idea being that his current state his own doing. I had a friend who, after seeing the movie, had the perception that both stories were true. Daddy issues are hardly an issue though. How they're represented is. Lex randomly justifying his perception with an off the wall line about his dad's fists not being stopped doesn't mean anything to me personally. Lex in Smallville was abused for example, but the show made a point to peel back those layers about his character with it and the abuse was a lot more psychological usually. I don't feel that with BvS's version. That just feels like it's just there to me. Have a very great day you and everyone!

God bless you! God bless everyone!