Battle of Metropolis - MOS/BvS edit

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 26 Jun 2016, 04:11

Previous topic - Next topic
I watched this YouTube edit of the attack on Metropolis in MOS combined with Bruce's experience of what happened in BvS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ficEDs6WmhE

Jack must've been too scared to evacuate the building despite Bruce orders.  :-\
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

They nailed that opening scene. It matches up with BvS perfectly.

And I do think Jack and the workers not evacuating comments on 9/11 in a way. That's basically what happened after the first tower was hit.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 26 Jun  2016, 04:35
They nailed that opening scene. It matches up with BvS perfectly.

And I do think Jack and the workers not evacuating comments on 9/11 in a way. That's basically what happened after the first tower was hit.

Good point. It's easy to say "he should've done this or that", but it's not unrealistic to expect that people could freeze with fear during a life or death situation. I can't guarantee I'd react quickly if I were in that position.

Funny thing is, some people like the Nostalgic Critic from what I heard, argued BvS didn't need to recreate the Metropolis scene. They missed the point then, because if BvS didn't do that, Bruce's arc wouldn't have been fleshed out.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Exactly. The Metropolis battle is the moment Bruce turns cruel. Looking up to see two aliens flying. And of course saving a young girl who just lost her parents. Also...seeing the same scene from a different perspective really sold the idea it was a sequel to me.

The entirety of the "Battle of Metropolis" sequence was one of my favorite parts of the film itself.

Can't say I bothered with the Nostalgia Critic's views on the matter. I kinda stopped paying attention to most internet critics some time back. There's a few I might have some interest in their views, but for the overwhelming majority, nope. Don't care!

Going back to BvS, the back track to the events of MOS thru Bruce's eyes was just amazing. I actually would say it's one of my top favorite sequences of any comic book based film ever to be perfectly honest. Just a very well done part of the film, and the opening, "MANKIND IS INTRODUCED TO THE SUPERMAN" beginning ... Epic!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 28 Jun  2016, 02:55
Going back to BvS, the back track to the events of MOS thru Bruce's eyes was just amazing. I actually would say it's one of my top favorite sequences of any comic book based film ever to be perfectly honest. Just a very well done part of the film, and the opening, "MANKIND IS INTRODUCED TO THE SUPERMAN" beginning ... Epic!
Indeed. It's a perspective we don't usually see in comic book films. BvS allowed us to see the aerial based event from the ground level, like a typical civilian. And it's scary stuff. And I love how even though Bruce is powerless to do anything, he still drives through the carnage like a boss, and rescues whoever he can. The Ultimate Cut shows a little bit more of this too.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 28 Jun  2016, 04:01
Indeed. It's a perspective we don't usually see in comic book films. BvS allowed us to see the aerial based event from the ground level, like a typical civilian. And it's scary stuff. And I love how even though Bruce is powerless to do anything, he still drives through the carnage like a boss, and rescues whoever he can. The Ultimate Cut shows a little bit more of this too.

Sweet!

I'm definitely looking forward to watching the Ultimate Edition.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I can't say this enough - make sure you all see the Ultimate Cut.

From now on, it's the only version I'll be watching. Frankly, it's unacceptable they didn't release the three hour cut in cinemas from the start. I liked the Theatrical Cut, but the Ultimate Cut is just better. End of.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 28 Jun  2016, 04:01
Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 28 Jun  2016, 02:55

I would've thought that the audience who disliked MOS would've been empathetic towards Bruce as he sees the destruction erupting before him because of Superman and Zod's fight.

I am re-watching the film now and I have to say I really love the way this film opens. For starters, I find the "Beautiful Lie" to be one of the most poignant portrayals of Thomas and Martha's deaths put to film. I really love the way Burton did it, but I think this version is a little better. And even though I am not a major fan of the score, I do love the music here.

And with the second half of the sequence, with Bruce in Metropolis. I love it. I was never terribly critical of Man of Steel's climax. Some people pointed to Superman II where Superman leaves to protect the people and Zod follows him, but that was a different Zod. Terrance Stamp's Zod was egotistical. He even had the world in the film for a time while Superman was in la-la land with Lois, but was depicted as being somewhat bored. With Superman, he saw that challenge.

Man of Steel's Zod was more genocidal and driven to protect his species, more so than Superman II's Zod, who wanted to rule the world, but not necessarily wipe out the entire human race, which is what Zod was going to do with the World Engine. When Superman destroyed the world engine, Zod became enraged and still wanted to destroy to humanity and, for me, it was clear that the tactic would not have worked.

Back on topic, I love Bruce's perspective on the battle and I love the aftermath scenes where he rescues a little girl. I also like the imagery as the shot pulls away from him and you see the Wayne Enterprises logo upside, which to me symbolizes that his world has turned upside down (again) by what he perceives as a new threat.