BvS Ultimate Edition Trailer

Started by BatmAngelus, Thu, 2 Jun 2016, 16:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 29 Jun  2016, 04:03
Anyone have 5 hours and 28 minutes spare to watch two movies back to back?

A MOS/BvS UC double feature sounds like a fun way to spend a day off!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I just hope they don't chop the JL theatrical cut too much. In any case, I'd expect a director's cut to be released with bonus scenes and the like.

Yeah, hopefully the positive response to the UC will lead WB to realize that editing can do alot more harm than good. Both in terms of box office, and the reception from the general audiences. I also hope that the UC redeems Snyder's take to some extent, and as a consequence, lessen the notion of going 'lighter', and 'jokey' with the DCEU.

I really have no desire for the DCEU to mimmick the MCU's style. The MCU style works for them, and that's great, but I appreciate Snyder approach to the material with the DCEU so far, and would generally prefer the same style to remain consistent. Or as consistent as possible.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Yeah. I like Snyder as much as Burton. Both are misunderstood geniuses.

I watched this cut a few days ago. Here some first impressions below. ***Minor spoilers***:

QuoteLet me say I'm very disappointed most of the new footage was cut out from the theatrical cut. The Africa sequence makes more sense to me now and gives Lois a stronger purpose to be in this film, and Clark having a more proactive look into Batman is a bonus. Anatoli Knyazev here is a very cunning here as Lex's right hand man. This version clearly shows Lex is definitely manipulating everything and removes any ambiguity the original cut had, which makes his line to Clark and Bruce "I love bringing people together" more relevant than ever.

You may reckon I haven't watched enough films to say this, but nonetheless, it's not often I see a director's cut better than the original cut. But this is definitely a better version of BvS.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Glad you liked it. And it's not adding new scenes in either. This *was* the film before WB chopped it up to fit 2.5 hours.

Sat, 6 Aug 2016, 18:16 #36 Last Edit: Sat, 6 Aug 2016, 18:18 by Silver Nemesis
I finally picked up the Blu-ray of the 'Ultimate Edition' yesterday and watched it in the evening. I've seen mixed reactions to it online – some saying it improves on the theatrical cut, others saying it doesn't make a difference. As to my own opinion, I thought it was a significant improvement. For one thing, it filled in several plot holes from the earlier cut:

•   The immolation of the terrorists' remains (in the theatrical cut they're simply shot) to make it look like Superman was responsible for their deaths.
•   Explaining why everyone who goes to prison with the bat-brand ends up dead.
•   Explaining about the lead lining in the wheelchair that prevented Superman from seeing the bomb.
•   The 'Communion' scene; perhaps suggesting Lex may have been misled/manipulated into unleashing Doomsday by Steppenwolf's influence.

Maybe some of these things were covered in the theatrical cut and I simply missed them. But I don't remember that being the case.

I think my favourite additions were the scenes of Clark doing some investigative reporting. I'm a big fan of the Dean Cain Superman, and that whole subplot about Clark digging into the urban legends surrounding Batman reminded me of the investigative narratives from the nineties TV show. I also thought those scenes were important in justifying Superman's low tolerance towards Batman when they finally confront one another later in the film. That entire subplot should never have been cut.

So those are a few of my thoughts. IMO the pacing's improved, the plot makes more sense, and it's just a better film full stop. I don't rate it as highly as some other people on this site, and I still think it has quite a lot of problems, but overall the 'Ultimate Edition' is much better than the theatrical version. I actually like it more than Man of Steel, even though I think MoS is an objectively superior film.

I'm curious to know if there are any differences between the US and UK versions of the 'Ultimate Edition'. I ask because my Blu-ray is rated 12, which was the same rating as the theatrical cut. But the US version is rated R. Is anything missing from the UK version, or was the R-rated content simply not an issue with the BBFC? It's odd, because Suicide Squad is rated 15 over here, but it's only a PG-13 in the US.

There were two scenes in the Ultimate Edition that were cut out from the theatrical cut:

1) The new Africa scene introduced Superman as he destroys two drone missiles flying towards the village before arriving on time to save Lois. In the theatrical version, Superman comes flying from the sky after the mercenaries shot all the terrorists.

2) The theatrical version had a scene where Clark watches the TV news report about Batman's ruthless methods against sex offenders, while making a breakfast. In the Ultimate Edition, that news report was replaced by the African witness who gave her testimony to the Senate, questioning how does Superman get to choose which lives matter most than others. I really liked how the UE showed that she was an actress paid by Lex to slander Superman, and how Lex silenced her when she had a change of heart later on. Besides, it's better that Clark goes to investigate Batman's methods himself as we get to see him work as a journalist for once.

If there is one little gripe I have about the UE, I'd like to ask why did we have to see Batfleck's naked ass in the shower?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I honestly believe that scene has a point. Clark has a bathing scene earlier in the film. He's in a loving mood and shares this with Lois. Bruce, on the other hand, just glimpsed the vandalised Robin suit. He has a shower alone and looks miserable. That's the contrast. Clark is embracing life and Bruce is enduring it.

I watched it last night. I don't have the best memory for details so it's hard for me to do a comparison but I enjoyed it more than the theatrical version. It does seem more of Superman/Clark got shelved than Bruce/Batman. Perhaps because the universe had already developed Clark as a character.

There was a scene referencing Major Ferris (from the Green Lantern) that I didn't remember in the theatrical version.

I really don't get why Eisenberg is so heavily criticized as Luthor, is it just because people find him annoying? He brought a lot more energy than Kevin Spacey did. So he didn't have the look down until the end, Hackman didn't have the look either. I found him rather zany and unpredictable, a pompous arrogant genius which is how Lex should be. It would be interesting if he got to team up with Leto's joker.

As far as the DCU goes I don't have an issue with how they are going about;  rather than bring a team together at once, they're adding pieces as they go. Starting with two heroes, then a third, then likely three more (Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg), and of course we don't know how long Superman will stay buried for but despite the ending, we do know in Suicide Squad that he stays 'dead' for a bit.