Jeremy Irons says Justice League will be 'linear' and franchise 'income is nice'

Started by johnnygobbs, Sun, 29 May 2016, 08:52

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-star-jeremy-irons-says-movie-a142113

QuoteIt's no secret that Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice was massacred by critics on release. But what does franchise Oscar-winning star Jeremy Irons had to say about it? When confronted by the fact that his movie got a ruthless kicking by critics, he said, "Deservedly so. I mean it took £800 million, so the kicking didn't matter but it was sort of overstuffed..." He went on to add, "It was very muddled. I think the next one will be simpler. The script is certainly a lot smaller, it's more linear," offering some hope that the next DCEU film could perhaps be a littler better. As for what's in it for him he frankly said, "I'm tied into The Batman at the minute [the next instalment, Justice League Part One, is due next year], which is nice because it's a bit of income... Not that I need a bit of income but it's nice to keep ticking over."
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 29 May  2016, 08:52
QuoteIt's no secret that Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice was massacred by critics on release. But what does franchise Oscar-winning star Jeremy Irons had to say about it? When confronted by the fact that his movie got a ruthless kicking by critics, he said, "Deservedly so. I mean it took £800 million, so the kicking didn't matter but it was sort of overstuffed..." He went on to add, "It was very muddled. "

Disney got to him!

Really wish Irons had this look in the movie:
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Is this good or bad?

Both Suicide Squad and Deadpool set up non-linear stories yet a strength for deadpool ended up being a weakness for SS.

Deadpool was an easier story to tell because they were primarily focusing on one lead character while Suicide was an ensemble cast so the non-linear storytelling was much less confusing in Deadpool. Also deadpool did eventually properly tell the origin story of the character while Suicide Squad still brushed through it (it's almost criminal how little of Harley and Joker's backstory we got).

Batman vs Superman was linear but it was overstuffed. Clearly they didn't want to tell another origin story of the Bat so instead they had to develop Affleck without actually developing him. While the story is told linearly, there were certainly past plot points brought up (ie Robin's death).

Quote from: riddler on Wed, 17 Aug  2016, 20:51Both Suicide Squad and Deadpool set up non-linear stories yet a strength for deadpool ended up being a weakness for SS.

Deadpool was an easier story to tell because they were primarily focusing on one lead character while Suicide was an ensemble cast so the non-linear storytelling was much less confusing in Deadpool. Also deadpool did eventually properly tell the origin story of the character while Suicide Squad still brushed through it (it's almost criminal how little of Harley and Joker's backstory we got).

Batman vs Superman was linear but it was overstuffed. Clearly they didn't want to tell another origin story of the Bat so instead they had to develop Affleck without actually developing him. While the story is told linearly, there were certainly past plot points brought up (ie Robin's death).
So, the long and the short of it is linear or non-linear, there's no pleasing you?

That's kind of a rude response is it?

I'm pleased if it's a good movie, my point was linear vs. non-linear depends on the movie. There's nothing wrong with flashbacks, but the danger to non-linear stories is they can be harder to follow especially with films like suicide squad with so many characters to follow. That's not to say it can't be done, four brothers did an excellent job of this.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Aug  2016, 20:01That's kind of a rude response is it?
If an accurate summation is rude, well, maybe so. You basically explained one movie doesn't work for you because it's linear. But another movie also doesn't work for you because it's non-linear.

At this point, the only thing left is telling the story backwards like Memento or that one episode of Seinfeld. Maybe you're in luck and the Deadpool sequel will do that.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 20 Aug  2016, 00:03
Quote from: riddler on Fri, 19 Aug  2016, 20:01That's kind of a rude response is it?
If an accurate summation is rude, well, maybe so. You basically explained one movie doesn't work for you because it's linear. But another movie also doesn't work for you because it's non-linear.

At this point, the only thing left is telling the story backwards like Memento or that one episode of Seinfeld. Maybe you're in luck and the Deadpool sequel will do that.

my point was that it seems apparent parts of Deadpool were copied for Suicide Squad. We don't know if the non-linear approach was one of them but I don't think it worked for this film. And deadpools chronology wasn't that out of order, only the highway scene being chopped up and sprinkled throughout the first half of the film. Though to be fair the second half of suicide squad is mostly told in a linear manner save for Harley's dream sequence (which isn't canon anyhow).