Marvel Comics reboot Captain America as a villain

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 26 May 2016, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: JokerMeThis on Sat, 28 May  2016, 04:26
I got tired of this long ago. That is, artists inserting their own political views into their art. It's obnoxious and I would imagine it's bad for business. I wish they'd just entertain us rather than try and lecture us.
Agreed.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 28 May  2016, 04:57
Quote from: JokerMeThis on Sat, 28 May  2016, 04:26
I got tired of this long ago. That is, artists inserting their own political views into their art. It's obnoxious and I would imagine it's bad for business. I wish they'd just entertain us rather than try and lecture us.
Agreed.

After watching Zootopia you can add Disney movies to that. It's annoying.

As for CA, that is just ridiculous. Either they've destroyed one of the most beloved characters ever or this is a stupid publicity stunt that will be resolved in like 5 or 6 issues. Just stupid.

Yep. If Marvel want to make political comments in their art, we'll assess what they have dished up. The have invited us to do so with such a provocative, attention seeking plot line. Marvel must think they are in the right, and that the majority of people agree with their views. I can tell you now they are mistaken. I believe they have misread the overall mood of the world right now. Particularly in the US.

People are angry and have had a gutfull of being labelled, told off and censored. The media, and now the comic industry, are telling people how disgusting their views apparently are, and how such people should be shunned. Righto. I think the exact opposite. All the while the anti-BS crowd continues to rise. Much to the outrage and panic of the likes of Marvel Comics. Poor babies. We will make up our own minds.

Give me the Death of Superman gimmick over this trash any day of the week.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 26 May  2016, 17:57
Eh, looks like a whole lot of nothing to me.

Same here.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 26 May  2016, 17:57Cap will be back to fighting Hydra in no time and this will be forgotten about.

Right. Comics employ these sort of shock tactics on a regular basis. I doubt there's anything meaningful or permanent about this story.

I'm not crazy about Marvel's justification for this twist, but some of outrage is getting out of hand.

Despite being critical of Marvel's decision, the Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn is getting some vicious backlash for questioning the overreaction and one's state of mind for threatening violence against the people behind this creative decision. Ed Brubaker himself claims he's getting some death threats via Twitter, despite not having anything to do with Captain America for five years now.

Source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/marvel_comics/comics-stan-lee-ed-brubaker-james-gunn-and-more-weigh-in-on-a142123

Chris Evans' Tweet is rather disappointed about the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/chrisevans/status/735696011172012033
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

You would have to be messed up to threaten violence against someone over cartoons, and be serious about it. But it happens. Those sections of the community should be shunned, regardless of race or religion. I absolutely hate the concept of this comic, but that's about it. I'd debate someone about it rather than behead them.

Alot of Marvel Comics output just simply does not interest me these days, and this Cap media attention stunt is no exception. I recently read a article about Cap on newsarama going over the fact that Marvel hasn't let Cap be Cap for quite awhile now, with all-too-brief exceptions before Marvel decides to once again shake up the status quo as they evidently love to do.

DC isn't exempt either, and I lost alot of interest in their overall product as well the longer the whole New52 thing went on, but thankfully REBIRTH does give me a glimmer of hope, though I'm much too jaded to really have a whole lot of faith in them going forward.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 16:48 #17 Last Edit: Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 00:03 by BatmAngelus
Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 28 May  2016, 20:28
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 26 May  2016, 17:57
Eh, looks like a whole lot of nothing to me.

Same here.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 26 May  2016, 17:57Cap will be back to fighting Hydra in no time and this will be forgotten about.

Right. Comics employ these sort of shock tactics on a regular basis. I doubt there's anything meaningful or permanent about this story.

Aaaand as I predicted, this wasn't a real change. The next issue reveals that Cap's "Hydra" allegiance was him getting brainwashed from Red Skull using the Cosmic Cube/Kobik and getting implanted with false memories.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/marvel_comics/comic-spoilers-the-truth-about-that-big-hydra-turn-revealed-a143017

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/no-marvel-didnt-change-the-hydra-cap-story-to-appease-fans

Move along...
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

"Reboot" has a specific meaning. It is not this.