Marvel Comics reboot Captain America as a villain

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 26 May 2016, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/25/11769542/captain-america-marvel-comics-hydra-supervillain

That's right, Cap has been rebooted as a double agent for HYDRA, disguised as a patriotic hero.

Why? Because Marvel wanted to make a political statement:

Quote"There should be a feeling of horror or unsettledness at the idea that somebody like this can secretly be part of this organization," he [Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort] said. After all, Hydra is associated with terror and hate speech in the comics. "There are perfectly normal people in the world who you would interact with on a professional level or personal level, and they seem like the salt of the earth but then it turns out they have some horrible secret — whether it's that they don't like a certain group of people or have bodies buried in their basement."
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Don't forget it was only a year or so ago that fans were upset when Doctor Octopus took over the Spider-Man identity from Peter Parker. But that looks small compared to what Marvel has done to Cap. I saw some fans going on Twitter and condemning this as a stain on his legacy, and some even go far by claiming it's spitting in the face of Joe Simon and Jack Kirby because both creators were Jewish.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Eh, looks like a whole lot of nothing to me. Cap will be back to fighting Hydra in no time and this will be forgotten about.

This article sums it up to me:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/25/guys-captain-america-is-going-to-be-okay
QuoteThere's one other major thing to consider about this Cap storyline: this year is Captain America's 75th anniversary. If you think Marvel is going to celebrate that milestone by turning the superhero who just broke a billion dollars at the box office into a racist hatemonger... well, I guess there's just nothing you won't believe. The reality is that this story - which will showcase Hydra Cap as a way of reminding us why we love Cap in the first place - will end with some kind of triumphant return to the status quo. Possibly even with Steve Rogers as the one solo Captain America and The Falcon returning to his old duds, if I had to guess.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

The 'political statement' this seemingly is trying to make puts me off most of all.

Is this for real?

Sometimes I wonder if political correctness has made Americans hate themselves.

It sucks because it's basically commenting on people who support Trump. In Marvels' eyes its this: People you think are decent secretly harbor 'dirty secrets' which change your perception of them. People calling themselves American patriots are apparently fascists going against what they believe in. So yeah, Marvel can go hang over this. It's a joke. 

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 27 May  2016, 03:45
It sucks because it's basically commenting on people who support Trump. In Marvels' eyes its this: People you think are decent secretly harbor 'dirty secrets' which change your perception of them. People calling themselves American patriots are apparently fascists going against what they believe in. So yeah, Marvel can go hang over this. It's a joke.

I agree and I LOATHE Donald Trump (I know this isn't a political forum so I wont elaborate). I guess it's not the first time, it does seem Marvel supports Barack Obama, they've had Spider-man team up with him.

I've heard too that there's dissention within Marvel that the comic side is not happy with the MCU although that seems short sighted on their part.

I got tired of this long ago. That is, artists inserting their own political views into their art. It's obnoxious and I would imagine it's bad for business. I wish they'd just entertain us rather than try and lecture us.

Sorry, but I'm fed up with all this Marvel bashing.  >:(  Whatever Marvel is doing it seems to be working.  Audiences are lapping up the MCU films and avoiding other CBMs and their alternate agendas.  Say no more... :-X (Unlike others I don't want to get explicitly political).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.