Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Started by Catwoman, Sat, 21 May 2016, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic
I don't get why people think Luke is going to die.

It's literally just Luke's title as of right now.

The opening crawl of TFA refers to Luke as such: "Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed."

Snoke also gives him this title: "The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise."

It's like calling Superman the last son of Krypton. It's rather mythic.

I like the title because TFA was all about locating Luke. That's where the film ended. With Luke standing alone overlooking the ocean. I predict IX will be called something like The New Jedi, completing Snoke's quote and ultimate fear. With the sequel trilogy becoming 'The' trilogy.

Witnessing the true rebirth of the Jedi on screen is better than just hearing about it via a piece of dialogue. I prefer this way. He tried once, but it failed. Kylo killed everyone. But Luke tries a second time and succeeds. It adds depth to Luke's character too. He feels the burden and sense of failure - but through Rey, he overcomes his pain.

I think it will include a reformation of the Jedi order, such as policy regarding attachment.

All in all, I'm happy with how it's all shaping up.

Although I am completely A OK with Luke getting back in the saddle, so to speak, and ascending with a new class of Jedi, it's worth stating that the Jedi Order has failed twice in the last hundred years. Once during Order 66 and the purge, and also (apparently) when Luke tried a new Jedi academy that got murdered by the Knights of Ren, which we'll likely see in the next movie.

So clearly, while Force traditions can (and presumably still do) exist in the galaxy, the Jedi as an actual institution can be viewed as finished. Leaving something new needs to arise to keep balance to the Force, and the Light will always be with the Dark.

One of the things I noticed about TFA, was that the characters seemed to use the term "light" metaphorically. "I feel it again. The pull to the light." , "There's still light in him, I know it."

Going that route would be different than what most folks would naturally expect, however, I sincerely doubt Disney and LucasFilm will ever phase out the Jedi even if an attempt was made. They're too much of a signature feature of the setting, and judging from TFA, I don't see Disney straying too far from the episodic formula for very long anyways.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Wed, 25 Jan 2017, 06:37 #12 Last Edit: Wed, 25 Jan 2017, 06:40 by The Dark Knight
Those terms are used, in my opinion, because the Sith WERE destroyed. Palpatine and Vader were the last two Sith Lords and they are both dead. Kylo Ren, and Snoke, are dark side users but they are not Sith Lords. A Sith Lord is a very specific individual. There's only one Jedi left, and one Jedi does not make an order. So to the wider galaxy, for all intents and purposes, the Jedi are all but extinct too. So for that reason it makes sense the terms light and dark are now a lot more commonplace. The religious aspects have eroded.

Personally, I'm over the saga's treatment of the Jedi as cannonfodder for dark side users. Being hunted down like dogs. I'm hoping The Last Jedi represents a change in their fortunes, with Luke at least establishing a new Jedi academy of some sort by the end of IX. Because as the title says, we are now down to the last Jedi. They either grow from here or they are extinct. But on the positive side, even a small bunch of 10, 15 or 20 Jedi means the Jedi live on, and they still manage to outlast the Sith.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 25 Jan  2017, 04:53
I don't get why people think Luke is going to die.

It's literally just Luke's title as of right now.

The opening crawl of TFA refers to Luke as such: "Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed."

Snoke also gives him this title: "The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise."

It's like calling Superman the last son of Krypton. It's rather mythic.

I like the title because TFA was all about locating Luke. That's where the film ended. With Luke standing alone overlooking the ocean. I predict IX will be called something like The New Jedi, completing Snoke's quote and ultimate fear. With the sequel trilogy becoming 'The' trilogy.

Witnessing the true rebirth of the Jedi on screen is better than just hearing about it via a piece of dialogue. I prefer this way. He tried once, but it failed. Kylo killed everyone. But Luke tries a second time and succeeds. It adds depth to Luke's character too. He feels the burden and sense of failure - but through Rey, he overcomes his pain.

I think it will include a reformation of the Jedi order, such as policy regarding attachment.

All in all, I'm happy with how it's all shaping up.

I think fans are predicting that Luke's fate will mirror Yoda's; the teacher passes away as his student - and the galaxy's last hope - is ready to stop the Empire. If that does happen, I'd expect claims that the new films recycling ideas from the original trilogy to increase ten fold. But whether that's seen as a good thing or a bad thing depends on the viewer.

Keep in mind now that Han Solo is gone for good, and Princess Leia's fate will have to be addressed because of Carrie Fisher's unexpected death, fans are preparing themselves if Luke becomes the next iconic character to retire from the series. We'll wait and see.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I'm pretty sure Disney has poised "The Last Jedi", or atleast hopes to, at least meet the same box office as "The Force Awakens," but does anyone think that with the unfortunate passing of Carrie Fisher, particularly with her having completed her role in the film which is reportedly larger than her role in Episode 7 (which, and let's be honest here... isn't saying much)... is going to galvanize audiences into making Episode 8 an even bigger hit than it was already going to be in a Heath Ledger manner?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I hear what yall are saying, but this is still totally me rn.

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 25 Jan  2017, 20:04

I'm pretty sure Disney has poised "The Last Jedi", or atleast hopes to, at least meet the same box office as "The Force Awakens," but does anyone think that with the unfortunate passing of Carrie Fisher, particularly with her having completed her role in the film which is reportedly larger than her role in Episode 7 (which, and let's be honest here... isn't saying much)... is going to galvanize audiences into making Episode 8 an even bigger hit than it was already going to be in a Heath Ledger manner?
Honestly, I don't think it will influence the box office that much. I was expecting comparable box office numbers to TFA before Carrie died.

TFA had the advantage of being a new SW movie in 10 years that continued the story beyond that of ROJ. That was 'big league'! With TLJ, even though third SW movie released by Disney being set apart by 3 years, I'm sure Carrie's death will get people who wouldn't have watched it to check it out, but ultimately I agree that it's probably not going to make a huge difference in the amount of people who will check it out simply because it's a new SW movie. I'm sure the trailers will end up being very engaging and Luke actually being present will probably get people more excited than before.

I have opinions on Carrie, and Mark, but I'm not sure how they'd go down with other people, so I'll refrain from making them. But I like these 'characters' first and foremost. I think Luke whipping out his big green one for the first time in 30 years and simply having a large amount of screen time will bring in big dollars. That's what the fans want to see. TFA belonged to Han, and Harrison did a bang up job. But now it's Luke's turn.

Not much, but something new.