Favourite scenes in Batman v Superman

Started by The Laughing Fish, Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 15 May  2016, 04:07
I think a fairer comparison from Civil War would be Cap/Winter Solder vs Iron Man and Batman and Superman's battle.
Actually, yes, you're right. I suppose it's because the airport fight seems to be getting all the attention.

Tue, 17 May 2016, 10:12 #11 Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:26 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: riddler on Mon, 16 May  2016, 15:52
I think people found it too cheezy that the name Martha made Batman completely pull a 180 from trying to kill superman to becoming his ally.

Of course, as you know, that's an oversimplification to describe the scene. I'll admit that the lead up to the moment doesn't hold up when you critique Superman, who despite trying to warn Batman the first time, didn't say anything again until right before he's about to get killed. And I do think transition of the scenes between the end of the fight and going off to the warehouse could've been smoother.

But I do like the idea behind the scene. Bruce is so beyond freaking out over a possible threat, until Martha triggered him into realising that he was becoming everything he spent his whole life fighting against, and would've given Lex exactly what he wanted. It was a moment that pulled Bruce from the brink. I thought there was a basis for Bruce's redemption.

Besides, I don't see how anybody could find this moment cheesy compared to Two-Face becoming evil in TDK. He stares right at the Joker, the man who murdered Rachel...and yet he spares him and takes his anger out at those who failed to stop him because of that idiotic "Agent of Chaos" speech. But THAT gets a pass isntead. It's a bit rich.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 17 May  2016, 08:08
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 15 May  2016, 04:07
I think a fairer comparison from Civil War would be Cap/Winter Solder vs Iron Man and Batman and Superman's battle.
Actually, yes, you're right. I suppose it's because the airport fight seems to be getting all the attention.

If the airport fight is getting more attention, I suspect it's because it's lighter in tone compared to that grim final fight. Don't be fooled by Spider-Man and Ant-Man changing the tone in the second act. Civil War is quite dark.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 17 May  2016, 10:12Besides, I don't see how anybody could find this moment cheesy compared to Two-Face becoming evil in TDK. He stares right at the Joker, the man who murdered Rachel...and yet he spares him and takes his anger out at those who failed to stop him because of that idiotic "Agent of Chaos" speech. But THAT gets a pass isntead. It's a bit rich.
You keep pretending like this is what happened. It isn't. Harvey wanted to kill him, but the coin laid on tails. There's no pass. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

I really loved this movie, but for some reason, one scene I tend to replay alot in my mind is the scene where Clark comes home to Lois, who's in the tub, and there's that conversation between them where Superman's public perception is discussed, but she emotionally thanks him for everything, and then looks at Clark while adding, "I just don't know if it's possible for you to love me and be you,".

I just really liked how Snyder handled this scene, with Clark looking down, non-verbally suggesting that there's no reason for her to feel like that in his mind, and suddenly deciding to jump in the tub with Lois, with the holding shot of Clark's glasses on the floor, being splashed by the water.

Course there are alot of other scenes, but I guess it might go without saying that any/all scenes with Diana/Wonder Woman was aces with me. For a guy who grew up loving Lynda Carter, and own hundreds of Wonder Woman comics, it was a treat to finally see her up there on the silver screen.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 31 May  2016, 07:40

I really loved this movie, but for some reason, one scene I tend to replay alot in my mind is the scene where Clark comes home to Lois, who's in the tub, and there's that conversation between them where Superman's public perception is discussed, but she emotionally thanks him for everything, and then looks at Clark while adding, "I just don't know if it's possible for you to love me and be you,".

I just really liked how Snyder handled this scene, with Clark looking down, non-verbally suggesting that there's no reason for her to feel like that in his mind, and suddenly deciding to jump in the tub with Lois, with the holding shot of Clark's glasses on the floor, being splashed by the water.

There's that, but there's also the sexy shot of Amy Adams in the bathtub.  ;)

I have to admit, when I watched that scene in the theatre, I couldn't but think of the reaction of the parents who brought their kids to watch this movie. And they were sitting closer to the front row!  ;D

But it shouldn't a big deal. Batman and Superman films have a history of provocative and adult themed moments.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There are several good scenes but I've always liked the beginning sequence sequence and also when Batman and Superman are duking it out, with Batman dragging Super with that cord (?) I always thought it looked like a hunter getting his prey. Awesome scene!

Quote from: Grissom on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 04:33
There are several good scenes but I've always liked the beginning sequence sequence and also when Batman and Superman are duking it out, with Batman dragging Super with that cord (?) I always thought it looked like a hunter getting his prey. Awesome scene!
The fight was excellent. I geeked out when Batman delivered the "my parents taught me a different lesson, dying in a gutter for no reason at all" line.

Thu, 2 Jun 2016, 09:09 #17 Last Edit: Thu, 2 Jun 2016, 09:12 by OutRiddled
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 04:42
The fight was excellent. I geeked out when Batman delivered the "my parents taught me a different lesson, dying in a gutter for no reason at all" line.

Same here.  I just found out that line is from The Dark Knight Returns.

Batman: You sold us out, Clark. You gave them the power that should have been ours. Just like your parents taught you. My parents taught me a different lesson... lying on this street... shaking in deep shock... dying for no reason at all. They showed me that the world only makes sense when you force it to.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 09:09
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu,  2 Jun  2016, 04:42

Same here.  I just found out that line is from The Dark Knight Returns.

Batman: You sold us out, Clark. You gave them the power that should have been ours. Just like your parents taught you. My parents taught me a different lesson... lying on this street... shaking in deep shock... dying for no reason at all. They showed me that the world only makes sense when you force it to.
That's the one. Direct lift from DKR, just like the "I believe you" moment. It was bliss.

All those TDKR references pushed my fanboy buttons. Of course, if they wanted to go the full nine, Batman would've lost the fight like he did in TDKR while Superman barely defended himself. But the story needed Batman to almost kill Superman. So hmm.

One of my favorite moments was the cop stumbling upon Batman after he branded the kidnapper at the beginning of the movie. Batman crawls across the ceiling and escapes. No laborious explanations for how he did it. He just did it and the audience rolls with it.

That entire sequence was amazing. The victims were scared of their own rescuer and the cops were scared crapless to even go upstairs. It really nailed the fear and paranoia Batman engenders.

The only way to improve on it would've been a scene that showed that stuff happening to criminals. The POV characters were either victims or police. But seeing the terror Batman inspires among Gotham's underworld would've been absolute perfection.

But it's still awesome the way it is right now.