The Forever BVS connection

Started by eledoremassis02, Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  2 May  2016, 14:22
And your point is? BB has nothing to do with B89.
True, and BvS has nothing to do with BF.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

This next didn't seem worthy of a thread by itself and this thread is the closest I could find.

The general consensus is you could never make Batman Forever today. And that may be true of elements of BF's marketing and media tie-ins but in general BF is a fairly timely film by modern standards. The cast weren't as famous when they signed up for the movie in 1994 as they would be by the time the movie came out and, God knows, thereafter.

The movie has a fun, spunky tone to it that never gets overwhelmed with darkness. It puts Batman through a real emotional character arc but it never gets overwhelmed with the heaviness of its own subject matter.

Nearly everything about BF seems like it could just as easily be made by Marvel Studios today. If a cameo appearance of some kind was made by some other DC character, it'd be just about perfect by modern standards.

DC "fans" would still complain about it, of course, because deep down in a place they don't talk about on podcasts, they don't actually want DC movies to be made at all. But putting that undeniable truth aside, yeah, BF is scarily prescient for where comic movies would ultimately go.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 27 Jun  2016, 00:03
DC "fans" would still complain about it, of course, because deep down in a place they don't talk about on podcasts, they don't actually want DC movies to be made at all. But putting that undeniable truth aside, yeah, BF is scarily prescient for where comic movies would ultimately go.
Especially given the response to BvS, it seems the DC fan is destined to be the misunderstood loner fighting their corner. But hey, so be it. DC films are few and far between in comparison to the McDonald's assembly line of Marvel, so whenever the time comes for Batman or Superman to have the cinematic limelight, it's a special thing. I make no secret I was  nearly crying when Beautiful Lie was playing and we saw the Snyder version of the Wayne murders. It felt so mythic. I've seen Thomas and Martha get whacked so many times in various media. But Snyder made it feel like the first time. The brief snippets - a pistol barrel closeup, a bullet falling to the ground, the pearls breaking, etc. I get chills just typing this. Batman was being born in front of my eyes.

It may be because I really enjoy Batman's world, but Marvel hasn't elicited these types of emotions in me.