The Forever BVS connection

Started by eledoremassis02, Sat, 30 Apr 2016, 08:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 21:53
Almost universally, none of the Batman unproduced scripts or movies have adapted the bat flying through the window scene from 1939. Perhaps filmmakers find it too cheesy?

If that's the case they are wrong, it is epic if done right (like in the "Year One" movie).

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 18:48
Joe Chill - remember the scene in B'89 is a flashback/memory and not literal.  It's the same with the scene in Batman Forever.  Bruce Wayne remembers it differently each time.

I see what you're getting at...Bruce Wayne is completely screwed up in the head. I can definitely see the logic behind that. It would explain his out of character behavior in BB i.e. recklessly destroying anything in his path while driving the Tumbler and killing people despite supposedly having a moral code.

Then, his memory over his parents would become even more repressed and unreliable over time as we see in B89 and BF, until he makes peace with it and finds a sidekick in Robin; guiding him and preventing him from making the same mistake as he did by becoming a killer. The closure over losing his family would be completed once Barbara/Batgirl gets involved and Alfred is cured, as Bruce no longer feels alone. Until Robin's death and the Metropolis incident sends him over the edge again.

I'm still not totally enthusiastic over it because it only makes the repressed memory plot point in BF even more muddled. But I do like how this interpretation would convey that you'd have to be completely insane to dress up as a bat to fight crime. Makes it more believable.

The Bat Signal - I grant you that, but it still wasn't 'officially' adopted by the city at that point in BB

Whether the Batsignal was adopted by the city or not wasn't my point though. Everybody had to have been aware of Batman's existence once the Batsignal lights up in the sky above Gotham City by the end of BB. Whereas in B89, the signal was turned on for the first time. It wouldn't make sense for the public to see the signal in one movie, but not be aware of its existence in the next one. The continuity in this area simply doesn't match well together.

Urban Legend vs "known force" - that's debatable

Is it? Batman's existence was played down when Alexander Knox tried to interview Detective Eckhart and Gordon. Gordon even tells all his cops to keep Batman's interference in the Axis Chemicals incident quiet so it doesn't alert the media. Vicki Vale teamed up with Knox to prove that Batman did exist.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the other points.  :)

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 23:35
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 21:53
Almost universally, none of the Batman unproduced scripts or movies have adapted the bat flying through the window scene from 1939. Perhaps filmmakers find it too cheesy?

If that's the case they are wrong, it is epic if done right (like in the "Year One" movie).

Nonetheless, it's a sentiment that seems to be shared among most creative people in Hollywood, as Tim Burton himself ridicules the window scene in the comics:

You can't just do, 'Well, I'm avenging the death of my parents - Oh! A bat's flown in through the window. Yes, that's it. I'll become a Batman!' That's all stupid comic book stuff and we don't explore it at all. He dresses up as a bat because he wants to have an amazing visual impact. It all gets away from the fact he's just being a simple vigilante, something I always loathed about the character. He's creating an opera wherever he goes to provoke a strong, larger-than-life reaction. He switches identities to become something else entirely, so why wouldn't he overdo it?

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=PXWbtU-85RYC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=You+can%27t+just+do

:-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  1 May  2016, 01:26

The Bat Signal - I grant you that, but it still wasn't 'officially' adopted by the city at that point in BB

Whether the Batsignal was adopted by the city or not wasn't my point though. Everybody had to have been aware of Batman's existence once the Batsignal lights up in the sky above Gotham City by the end of BB. Whereas in B89, the signal was turned on for the first time. It wouldn't make sense for the public to see the signal in one movie, but not be aware of its existence in the next one. The continuity in this area simply doesn't match well together.

How do you know it was turned on "for the first time"?  We also don't know if "everybody" was aware of Batman's existence, just because the batsignal was turned on once.

Urban Legend vs "known force" - that's debatable

Is it? Batman's existence was played down when Alexander Knox tried to interview Detective Eckhart and Gordon. Gordon even tells all his cops to keep Batman's interference in the Axis Chemicals incident quiet so it doesn't alert the media. Vicki Vale teamed up with Knox to prove that Batman did exist.

I'm not debating that he was an urban legend in B'89.  Just that he was considered a 'known force' by the end of BB.   Certainly by The Dark Knight, he was a 'known force', though.

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sat, 30 Apr  2016, 11:50
A perfect continuity would be:

Batman Begins -> Batman -> Batman Returns -> Batman Forever -> Batman & Robin -> Batman V Superman

(Ignore TDK, TDKR & Suicide Squad)

That's my official Batman movie timeline.  8)
Man of Steel and the BvS prologue in Metropolis must take place before Batman & Robin, then, in order to explain this line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFIsZUmm8g
;D
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun,  1 May  2016, 16:06

Batman Begins -> Batman -> Batman Returns -> Batman Forever -> Batman & Robin -> Batman V Superman

Man of Steel and the BvS prologue in Metropolis must take place before Batman & Robin, then, in order to explain this line:
;D

You win

Quote from: OutRiddled on Sun,  1 May  2016, 13:23
How do you know it was turned on "for the first time"?  We also don't know if "everybody" was aware of Batman's existence, just because the batsignal was turned on once.
I think it's pretty clear the signal has been recently delivered to the city at the end of B89.

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun,  1 May  2016, 22:35
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun,  1 May  2016, 16:06

;D

You win

^This. I can't believe I forgot about this scene.  :-[
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Superman thing actually works in my favour.  Let's say the events of Batman and Robin occur after Man of Steel. 

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  2 May  2016, 08:43
Quote from: OutRiddled on Sun,  1 May  2016, 13:23
I think it's pretty clear the signal has been recently delivered to the city at the end of B89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-fSefzEiI

But Gordon made the signal in BB.  Not Batman!

And your point is? BB has nothing to do with B89.

I know.  It's just an idea for a fanedit I had.